5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book a lot!, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: How to Make a Great Living Teaching Online (Kindle Edition)
Having been sitting on the fence for....well, forever really, this book has inspired me to get of my ass and make a living from teaching what I know via online video courses. I am a dabbler, I suppose, and I have tried out many different ideas - not really to make money, but mainly just to keep myself stimulated. For example, I managed to write a book on how to stop smoking and I gave it away for free on the net as a way of amusing myself and of giving something back. I kinda wish I had tried to make a few quid from it as it has now exceeded over 100,000 downloads. (Yet here I am still mostly living from hand to mouth!) I dabbled in a few other projects and these too met with a fair bit of success, but again I have never really tried to make any money from them. I guess the main reason was that deep down, I guess I didn't really believe it was possible to make a living online. I felt that the net was now 'full' and there were only crumbs left on that particular banqueting table.
John's book has utterly transformed my attitude. It has been the catalyst that has motivated me to go for it - and I mean go for it full on! I identify at a very high level with John and his life and I am excited about the possibilities he has opened up for me. My girlfriend and I have been conducting research on selling knowledge based products online and were deep in learning strategic marketing, seo techniques, hosting and delivery etc, when (as part of this research) I bought and read this book. It spoke to me. It spoke to me so strongly I am pretty much going to do exactly what it says. I am also going to create a blog, starting tomorrow, (Christmas eve 2013) documenting every goddamn step of the journey and I will come back here in a year and let you know if I am rich, just getting by, or in the gutter! Either way, I'm looking forward to the experience - the rat race was never for me and never will be so as I would rather be exploring life from the gutter than chained to a desk I have very little to lose!
Thanks John for your inspirational book and I wish you every success for the future.
Mark J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical - well written, 30 Jan 2014
I bought this book on a whim really. Mostly I don't buy books like this because they're rubbish - you know the sort thing "make a living in your pyjamas", "make $1,000,000 without doing anything" etc etc.
But this book is different - it's inspiring because John is clearly pretty lazy (or "normal" if you like) and what I would call "a bit rubbish" but totally honest about it. His writing style is easy to read, totally non-technical and gives step by step instructions on how to do what he's done. It's not particularly mind-blowing information but good to read that someone apparently so unlikely to be an online entrepreneur, has made a living out of it.

The laugh I got from his story was worth the cost on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips from an expert, 9 Dec 2013
I am a course provider with Udemy (for two years almost) but have been waiting for this book. John is one of the top performers and I already know of some of his approaches, which are counter-intuitive, so this will be worth gold to me. John has always been happy to share his insights with other course providers, but it is great to get everything distilled into a single source like this. Thanks John!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first on line business book that is not full of bs!, 20 April 2014
I read this book from start to finish and I am relieved to find someone in the work smarter not harder field who like me is a bit lazy but not stupid! I have had some success myself online and John is a bit further down the road so it's very comforting to know I'm on the right track. Great advice and I will now put this in my top 10 entrepreneurship books rubbing shoulders with the mighty 4 hour workweek Tim Ferris! Thanks John great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Inspirational, 19 Dec 2013
I am in the second year now of working independently, setting up an online enterprise, having left the corporate world. This book is clearly
and authentically well written - it really hits the spot. I am now inspired to follow lots of the advice here.
It's also heart-warming to read John's views on the current education system. I am an avid supporter of the Sudbury Valley style Democratic School system, it sounds like he could certainly have benefitted from going to a school like that. It's great that nevertheless John has achieved so much. His clear way of explaining how makes it seem eminently doable. I'm starting right away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, no snake oil selling!...., 20 Mar 2014
James Abell (the United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A Kindle book with a title like this, some may feel a bit suspicious about its contents! So was I!
However, after reading the sample content and reviews I decided to buy it.
The book is well written, clear and concise.
It provides important instructions to those who want to teach online.
It concentrates mainly on selling pre-made tutorials and not one to one or webinar tuition as much.
However, this is not so much of a bad thing as John explains his own experiences with both methods and explains that pre-made tutorials (for him anyway) provide the best revenue income.
Buy it if you want to make and sell online tutorials!

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty darn good, 26 Jan 2014
A refreshing view about making a living online. The tone of voice used is down to earth and realistic ... I've even started making my own videos following the guidance in this book"

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic advice to get you earning, 11 Dec 2013
Mr. G. J. Lewis (London) - See all my reviews
I found John's videos when I was learning Java. His style of using very little fluff, and getting on with useful exercises makes learning really easy and fun.

Thankfully the book continues in this style, focusing first on the 'how' and giving the back story afterwards. If you want to get on with the work quickly, this format means you can do just that.

If you are looking to teach online, then this is all you will need. It has also given me the push I needed to start my own course - Something I have been talking about for too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest account, 13 July 2014
A very honest and well constructed book about earning a living teaching online. Well recommended and highly useful companion for internet business.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and very useful., 22 Jun 2014
I liked this down to earth book, which not only gives you some practical advice but also guides towards being in the right mindset to build an online teaching business/career.

The author talks about his personal story (which he goes into depth in the second half of the book, being very considerate and knowing that what we're looking for is practical advice) which is a great example of how it takes time not just to build your own business, but to find the right type of business for yourself.

This is not a get-rich-quick book and that's one of its strengths. Building an online business takes time - and the longer you put off doing the work, the longer it will take.