5.0 out of 5 stars Satanist + bonus DVD
What an Album!

I do have to admit to not owning the entire Behemoth back catalogue, as I prefer Black metal to Death - but I have always liked Behemoths "blackend death" style and love their earlier work (straight up black metal).

Published 5 months ago by N

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good
I have most of Behemoths albums but I don't like this one as much as there seems to be something missing
Published 3 months ago by paul emms

5.0 out of 5 stars Satanist + bonus DVD, 11 Feb 2014
What an Album!

This album for me has it all... death, black and all sorts inbetween. I love the space they have allowed in this release and find that it really allows the songs to brood.

Also worhty of mention is the DVD - worth the amount paid all by itself. contains some of Behemoths most iconic songs and the performance of these is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars omg, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
1 of the best metal lp's to come out this year can't wait to see their live show supporting THE SATANIST

5.0 out of 5 stars Behemoth Return From The Edge With An Album That Delivers And Then Some, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
We all know the story behind this album. It's been 5 years in the making. Nergal was stricken down by leukemia but he has risen again with an album that is already a contender for best of 2014. The riffs, the drums, the vocals. It's all one huge eargasm and I'm sure I will be listening for weeks and months to come.
Buy it, you won't be disappointed. This is indeed a new career best for behemoth. Get the deluxe edition so that you can see the fantastic live performance and documentary on the making of the album too. It's definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays in my player for a very long time, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
It's powerful. I know who we're talking about here and it might seem redundant, but believe me, it's not. It's dramatic.
Vocally travels a lot, from raw power in Blow Your Trumpets, through painful and dramatic screams in Satanists, to declamation in In The Absence Ov Light.
Musically it's just perfect, if anything maybe even to perfect. I loved the baroque sound of Apostasy.
Three songs stand out for me, Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel, Satanist and Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but..., 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
...is it their best, as the hype would suggest? I don't think so myself. I'm probably not the best person to review a Behemoth album, since I love everything Nergal's ever put down on tape. I use the early black metal stuff from the Chaotica and Demonica sets to write my novels to, and the latter day death metal to blast in the car when I'm at work. For me, The Apostasy and Demigod are the pinnacle, but The Satanist adds a new, welcome element to the band's work: groove. Some of the songs here show a side of the musicians that we haven't really heard before - Inferno's drum parts on the title track, for example, and Orion's bass being higher in the mix give the fans a little bit of a change from the usual relentless extremity.
I've read a lot about the "dynamics" on this album. What it actually means is there are more slow sections, which allows the instruments a chance to shine. It makes for a relentlessly personal album, in the sense that each member of the band (Seth included obviously) gets a chance to be heard as a musician rather than part of the band.
Nergal's vocals are brilliant, Inferno's drumming is beyond pretty much any other metal drummer, Orion has killer tone and plays some fantastic lines, while the soloing - when it surfaces - is outside the black or death metal box (really could have done with a few more lead breaks though). The songs themselves are well-formed and create an exhilarating whole.
You can tell someone had a life-changing moment during the creation of this album, even if you didn't know the story, as it seeps into every groove of this album. There's nothing "evil" or "hateful" about any of this - as Nergal roars on the (excellent) live bonus DVD, "It feels GOOD to be alive!" - this is about making the most of your talent, and giving a big middle-finger to anything or anyone that tries to hold you back. The "evil" here is in the fact this philosophy goes against the "X-Factor", mass media-driven modern lifestyle where everyone is supposed to look the same, want the same things (money and fame) and never question anything we're told.
Metal has always gone against that ideology and albums like this carry on that legacy.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this, in years to come, is held up as a watershed for extreme metal. I'm sure there's many years worth of hidden depths to be plumbed within each composition.
I'm still going with The Apostasy in the car or Grom for my writing though... ;-)

Steven A. McKay author of Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord) and The Wolf and the Raven: 2 (The Forest Lord)

5.0 out of 5 stars This albums is just great, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
Hope to hear much much more from these guys en see them live very soom. They r the real thing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good, 8 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb record, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
Superb Blackend death black metal album. Every one who likes Extreme metal Must have this Polish metal es master peace album

5.0 out of 5 stars A mandatory album if you like black / death metal, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
The Satanist is an awesome Behemoth's return. From the doomy riffs on Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel to the epic O father O satan O sun, all the songs on the album reach an amazing level. Special mention to the song Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer, which groovy riffs will make you headbang hard. Horns up, Behemoth are back \m/

5.0 out of 5 stars BEHEMOTH, 11 Mar 2014
Great live band....a so so album I'm afraid :(

It kinda sounds the same as previous albums even though I do still love them!

The Satanist
The Satanist by Behemoth (Audio CD - 2014)