5.0 out of 5 stars Satanist + bonus DVD
What an Album!

I do have to admit to not owning the entire Behemoth back catalogue, as I prefer Black metal to Death - but I have always liked Behemoths "blackend death" style and love their earlier work (straight up black metal).

This album for me has it all... death, black and all sorts inbetween. I love the space they have allowed in this...
Published 9 months ago by N

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good
I have most of Behemoths albums but I don't like this one as much as there seems to be something missing
Published 7 months ago by paul emms

5.0 out of 5 stars omg, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
1 of the best metal lp's to come out this year can't wait to see their live show supporting THE SATANIST

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 5 album 2014, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
Quality album, best I've heard this year. Essential for anyone who likes dark heavy music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!!, 13 Sep 2014
Good to have you back Nergal - awesome record!! \m/^_^\m/

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Demigod!, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
When I first popped it in my Hi-fi I asked myself why I even bothered to buy the CD however I decided to nevertheless, rip it onto my phone where... I was pleasantly surprised at how brilliant each song was! There are a lot of small details that I didn't pick up from the Hifi as well. Each song deserves it's place on this album bar 2, Furor Divinus and Messe Noire which I found both to be a little on the boring side, however every other song was amazing and choosing a favourite is hard. The artwork inside the album case is detailed and the only quarrel I have with the album is that even though they have decided to put the lyrics in there they are damn near unreadable as they are all scribbled down.

Aside from the the album itself, the bonus DVD features a full live performance and a short documentary. The documentary itself isn't much to rave about since you can find it on the bands youtube channel. The live performance I haven't watched yet but looks like a nice edition to the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense, 7 Feb 2014
K. Gillespie (Utecht, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
You can feel the power here. You can feel the emotion. It's like the raw emotional sound from the black metal background mixed with the brutality of the death metal side. Plus you have to know Nergal has some strong feelings coming into this album.

It shines through. I will be listening to this for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but..., 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
...is it their best, as the hype would suggest? I don't think so myself. I'm probably not the best person to review a Behemoth album, since I love everything Nergal's ever put down on tape. I use the early black metal stuff from the Chaotica and Demonica sets to write my novels to, and the latter day death metal to blast in the car when I'm at work. For me, The Apostasy and Demigod are the pinnacle, but The Satanist adds a new, welcome element to the band's work: groove. Some of the songs here show a side of the musicians that we haven't really heard before - Inferno's drum parts on the title track, for example, and Orion's bass being higher in the mix give the fans a little bit of a change from the usual relentless extremity.
I've read a lot about the "dynamics" on this album. What it actually means is there are more slow sections, which allows the instruments a chance to shine. It makes for a relentlessly personal album, in the sense that each member of the band (Seth included obviously) gets a chance to be heard as a musician rather than part of the band.
Nergal's vocals are brilliant, Inferno's drumming is beyond pretty much any other metal drummer, Orion has killer tone and plays some fantastic lines, while the soloing - when it surfaces - is outside the black or death metal box (really could have done with a few more lead breaks though). The songs themselves are well-formed and create an exhilarating whole.
You can tell someone had a life-changing moment during the creation of this album, even if you didn't know the story, as it seeps into every groove of this album. There's nothing "evil" or "hateful" about any of this - as Nergal roars on the (excellent) live bonus DVD, "It feels GOOD to be alive!" - this is about making the most of your talent, and giving a big middle-finger to anything or anyone that tries to hold you back. The "evil" here is in the fact this philosophy goes against the "X-Factor", mass media-driven modern lifestyle where everyone is supposed to look the same, want the same things (money and fame) and never question anything we're told.
Metal has always gone against that ideology and albums like this carry on that legacy.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this, in years to come, is held up as a watershed for extreme metal. I'm sure there's many years worth of hidden depths to be plumbed within each composition.
I'm still going with The Apostasy in the car or Grom for my writing though... ;-)

Steven A. McKay author of Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord) and The Wolf and the Raven: 2 (The Forest Lord)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug 2014
super album, buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars “…an album that broils and seethes with anger yet dances with celebration… majestic, deeply personal and stunning…”, 3 Mar 2014
D. M. Ashby "Pied Piper" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
This tenth album from Polish blackened death metallers Behemoth is one which sees them coming back from the brink of extinction, signalling as it does the return of band founder and frontman Nergal from his almost life-ending battle with leukaemia.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Behemoth - The Satanist, 6 Feb 2014
Nicholas Green (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Satanist (Audio CD)
For the past few years Behemoth have been an upward rise first with Demigod and then bettering themselves with Evangelion, and like everybody else I thought Demigod was as far as they could go, and then they released Evangelion. Since Nergal's diagnosis and treatment of Leukemia, everyone thought that there could be one more album in the cards...it was a certain possibility. Understandably there has been a lengthy break since Evangelion which came out in 2009. Because of my love of death metal I checked out Behemoth a few years ago and liked what I heard, going through the albums one by one.

Everyone by now has heard "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel" with the accompanying amazing video of it and with also the second video just released a few days ago, the anticipation for this album is extremely high. Since it was announced last year I've never felt this excitement for an album before. Sure, it's bound to be different - you wouldn't want the band to release the same album twice?

I truly and honestly want this to be the first review where I don't give too much away, where I don't go into too much depth about the music; this will be a hard review for me, but anyways let's continue. There is much to say if you're a fan of this band let alone the fact there's so much behind this album - the four teasing prologue videos released throughout the year; the early reviews (in magazines) giving it high praise; the fact that Nergal is looking extremely well considering. I've been, what you say, a casual fan but now my love is starting to grow for this band. "The Satanist" is not so much as just a band returning after a lengthy absence, but it feels like a grand celebration, a homecoming of sorts.

Is it better than Evangelion? That's a hard question to answer considering that they bettered themselves for a few years, album after album, ever since Demigod. It's going to be one of those long-standing arguments between devoted fans, I can only guess. I would say that it's on the same level as Evangelion and that same vein of intensity, however the music is more varied; it has plenty of blast beats in there if you're wondering and all things Behemoth. I would say that people reacting badly to "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel" is it feels like it's an intro of sorts. It builds and builds to start with, and then it explodes with noise.

I truly feel that in years gone past this album will be looked at fondly, with an amount respect you'd come to by following a band like Behemoth. It's early in 2014 and still there are plenty of albums to come out but I can guarantee that this album will be in people's `best of' lists come the end of the year. This album is bold as it is beautiful, dark as it is daring, but in the end it all comes down to one thing: this is a phenomenal return for Behemoth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good, 8 April 2014

The Satanist
The Satanist by Behemoth (Audio CD - 2014)