on 29 April 2014
Worth it just for 'All Fool's Day', a compelling vision of a (human) world that has fallen apart and the struggle of the few survivors to adapt or (mostly) die.A flawed hero you can root for with an optimistic ending. The Brothers Of The Iniquity are a sublime invention. 'The Cloud Walker' is a believable post apocalyptic world where the medieval power of the Luddite Church holds sway over mankind's development. 'A Far Sunset' is a dreamy scenario of a stranded astronaut trying to come to terms with his reality and the society of humanoids on a distant planet he now has to live with.
Original, readable and thought provoking. (Transit, Sea Horse in the Sky, The Uncertain Midnight, The Overman Culture and Who Needs Men from the same author are also recommended).
on 5 June 2014
'All Fools' Day' - I review 'The Cloud Walker' and 'A Far Sunset' under their own titles - 2014 is my first reading, how did I not find it in the 70s?
As ever, Cooper's characters are well drawn, though Jane's a challenge to us all.
Now that I'm decades from my teens, I can see some critics' need to pen Cooper as mysogynist.
Greville is not a man I'd respect and Liz is painted as one recovering from her traumas in a passive manner. Rape is not delivered as a vile crime, just the most convenient assault of a male character against female: yet I confess all crimes are basic interractions in this post-apocalypse. However rapists arent punished lightly by any of Cooper's players.
This is a novel of it's time, using sex more explicitly than other Cooper works I remember. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the message of hope that our species might recover from its nadir. We are reminded our partner in life is the drive and meaning for all we do.
on 22 February 2014
Brilliant collection so good to see it available on the kindle at a reasonable price - you won't be disappointed
on 5 February 2015
Great read in the golden era of sci fi style