5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the gym
This is perfect for the job it is intended!

It has some good features, including:
* the zone you are in whilst training (good to know, depending what your aims are whether it be fitness or fat burning etc)
* calories
Published 11 months ago by CycleRacing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very accurate
I had the FT1 and I decided to buy a newer version hoping that the accuracy would be better. For that reason I chose the latest version, however I am quite disappointed with it. I must point out I was interested in a consistent and accurate heart rate monitor. Having said this, the watch does not have much extra functionality (compared with FT1).

My main...
Published 27 days ago by Paula Marti Rocafull

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the gym, 15 May 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is perfect for the job it is intended!

It has some good features, including:
* calories
* a storage system of you past training / workouts (which means you can see the improvement you have made over a period of time)
* you can sync with the fitness machines at the gym (lots do use the polar system - probably worth checking if this is an important function for you)

This is a pretty basic machine in that you don't get GPS info or distance etc. But if you are looking at getting fitter or maintaining fitness, it is a really good tool. It is ideal in the gym, which is my main purpose for it. It is fairly light and looks good.

Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor but beware size differences between models, 1 Mar. 2013
Having tired of borrowing my wife's Black/Silver FT7 and having to re-enter the user information every time we swapped, I decided to buy a Black/Gold FT7. When it arrived we quickly realised that the watch strap on the Black/Gold FT7 is narrower and slightly shorter than the Black/Silver model so we have now swapped as my wife is smaller than me and the Black/Gold is a better fit for her. The F on the end of the precise model number that shows when you order should have been the giveaway (the Black/Silver ends with M). Looking at the Amazon images, I suspect that the Red model is the same size as the Black/Gold and the Black/Red is the same size as the Black/Silver.
Both our monitors came with a M to XXL sized soft strap for your chest. We ordered separately a XS to S sized soft strap via Amazon and this is a better fit for my wife as it fits chest sizes up to around 28 inches, whereas the supplied M to XXL soft strap has a minimum size of about 28 inches.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY TO USE, LOADS OF INFO TOO, 23 May 2012
I bought this as I have a fast heart rate when working out, all other monitors kept giving false readings or picked up other peoples!!!!!! It has chest strap with a seperate transmitter thing (sorry but i dont knnow the real name)you wet the strap and then clip on the transmitter and away you go. It sets as a programme, just input your age, height, weight the first time you use it and it records your average heart rate, highest rate and obviously what you are at the time. It keeps a data log of all workouts, and the details included for each one, and it works out your calories too :)
The only minus would be that it has no stopwatch.
Generally a great product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing Polar and posting, 10 Sept. 2011
The Pulsar Monitor was easy to set up, looks good and does everything it said it does. It's very easy to use, nice large screen so is easily visable whilst working out and keeps record so you can track your improving fitness. Postage and packaging were both perfect - very fast!
Overall a very pleased customer - Thank you!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected; all the features work great, 19 Oct. 2013
I needed a HR monitor to help with my training and for accurate calorie burn. I studies Sports Science and we always used Polar so when I decided I wanted one it was definitely going to be a Polar. I chose the the FT7 because it has a 99 session memory so that I can easily look back and that works absolutely fine.
When I opened the box I was worried that the medium to large heart band would be too big but I am a size 8 and it fits fine.
During using the HR monitor you can flick easily between calorie burn, heart rate, fat burn/fitness and duration. And when you raise your arm close to your chest the current time is displayed on the wrist watch.

The red looks great and is very stylish and it is fairly light so you don't realize it is on when your running etc.

All in all a good product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 28 Aug. 2012
Great product with good features and does exactly what it promises. Easy to set up and run. Easy to put on and does not show overly underneath a shirt. Contrary to some comments that the notification sound is to faint, I don't agree. I use it in spinning with loud music and still hear the notification. One additional feature which would be good, to see the actual time whilst the clock is recording. Other than that great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool for Getting Fit, 14 Mar. 2013
I bought this for my wife, but have a similar one in Black. We are using it to assist in monitoring workout effort and calories burnt for a weight loss program we have joined. The watch is plasticy but looks 'sporty'. My wife often leaves it on for convenience but wouldnt consider it a 'fashionable' watch - purely functional for its purpose.

The contrast is not to bad on this model, but Polar really need to improve this overall - it could be MUCH better and easier to read - particulary indoors where the readouts are quite dim. The buttons also are a bit plasticky and sometimes 'stick' but in the 4 weeks my wife has been using, they are still working.

The workout data (saves up to 7+ days on the watch)can be auto uploaded to Polars own fitness site. An accessory is required at extra cost (shame it is not bluetooth connection directly from watch). Or you can update manually from reading the stored values in the watch itself. It is good to capture your data so you can get an overview of progress ongoing. Shame that the Polar stats does not integrate with other sites/products (as many 'fitness' products seem to offer now - eg MyFitnessPal, MapMyExcercise, FitBit etc) so you seamlessly integrate stats. (we use Fitbit and MyFitnessPal (food/exercise journal) which work together really well - but have to load Polar stats (calories/exercise time/duration etc) manually into MFP where it then synchs up with FitBit data. Its all pretty clever - but if you are not interested in using such tools then this will not be an issue you will need to consider.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very accurate, 30 Mar. 2015

My main concern is that sometimes the heart rate gets stuck in a very high number (unrealistic number) and it would not recover the real heart rate until I move the strap... this means my maximum and average heart rate after the exercise are not realistic. Also the way it counts calories is wrong, it is usually twice as much as the values provided by the gym machines or the typical values... in that sense you can just halve it every time to get an estimate of the calories burned.

One positive thing is that the strap is quite comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars would recommend it, 14 Oct. 2014
Fast service, my order arrived promptly, the heart rate monitor works well, would recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product but sometimes stops working, 15 April 2013
Sometimes the heart monitor goes offline and it is really frustrating mid-workout. I don't know if it is the product but I've tried to use it exactly as specified and the same thing keeps happening. When it is working, it is a very good product.