5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, but also hugely practical and easy to use
I've had the excellent WiFi Withings weight / body fat / air quality scales for sometime now and have been very pleased with them. They are sleek and elegant but are also very practical if you - like me - have bought into the 'big data' revolution and want immediate submission of your data into the 'cloud' for ongoing analysis.

I'd been holding back from...
Published 14 months ago by Matt

1.0 out of 5 stars The wireless blood pressure meter does not work properly, 9 out of 10 automode measurements fail
I received my Withings BPM a few days ago and paired it with my Sony android phone. I am very disappointed with the device. 9 automode measurements out of 10 fails. I have carefully wrapped it on my arm according to the instructions in the manual. The air pump does not lift start pressure high enough, most often only up to 160-170mmHG, which is not enough to measure my...
Published 13 months ago by postman

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars But it can be a useful part of monitoring your health - and Withings make ..., 14 July 2014
Karen Hughes (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant) (Personal Care)
Monitoring your blood pressure may not be something that everyone feels the need to do. But it can be a useful part of monitoring your health - and Withings make it easy with this monitor. I use it with an iPhone, and it was very easy to setup and get started. It requires batteries since it is wireless in operation (unlike the older model which used the older iPhone 30-pin connector). You can set up some of the options in the free Health Mate software - including a neat feature that will do 3 readings in quick succession and average the results. If you are at all nervous in hospital or at the doctor when getting your blood pressure taken then you'll find it easier to be more relaxed at home - giving a more accurate reading. You can send your reading on to a health care professional - which could be useful in some circumstances. I do find that it gets pretty tight when taking a measurement (more so than is entirely comfortable) but otherwise there is nothing to complain about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Dec. 2014
I have mixed feelings about this product. The ability to easily record your blood pressure is brilliant and you can easily see fluctuations. The cuff however is quite bulky and can be difficult to position correctly resulting in many failures to record your pressure. Whilst I am still using mine I'm not certain I would buy this product again. Expensive and less effective than a much cheaper BP machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning Withings!, 29 Mar. 2014
I bought this blood pressure monitor to replace the earlier Withings corded version. Setting up the bpm with my iOS device was simple and straightforward and it is a joy to use without having to worry about a carless movement dragging the iPhone onto the floor. Readings appear to be accurate and the companion Withings app provides a useful historical record.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth doesn't work on IPhone 4s, 15 Mar. 2014
Unit hangs when using it with Bluetooth in iPhone 4s.
Another reviewer mentions the same issue.
Purchase with care. Does work OK with the cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine on some phones, and seems acccurate, 10 Nov. 2014
I Like the product, very portable, but slightly uncomfortable to get it around my arm, due to the stiffness of the cuff. It seems very accurate compared to my Omron BP-791IT. (After two weeks, the average differences in readings for Sys/Dia and Pulse are less than 5% between the two.)
Had problems originally, trying to get it to work with a Sony Z1(Android 4.4.4), where it will pair with the phone, but the Withings app will not start (except for the first time reading. To get any readings thereafter, one has to unpair, and then re-pair the bluetooth connection).
Tried it thereafter on another phone (Acer E39 (E700 trio(Android 4.4.2))), and it works 100%.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor accuracy, 31 July 2014
The device feels very high quality and is very simple to operate however I cannot get any consistency in readings, if I take 3 readings one after another my diastolic measurement varies by up to 30 and the systolic about 15. It also fails to take measurements more often than I think is acceptable even after carefully ensuring the band is correctly wrapped around the arm etc. I would estimate that about 1 in 4 measurement fail and I have to re-test. Overall I'm very unhappy with the product and even more unhappy with Withings support whom I contacted about this issue and got no response.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the techie patient who just loves their gadgets, 16 April 2014
Ms. R. L. A. Amelan "Rachel" (Wilmslow, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Withings wireless blood pressure monitor is a splendid highly technical device designed to appeal to those who adore gadgetry and want to measure their blood pressure accurately into the bargain. Trust me, with a device like this you no longer need to rely on your memory or paper for recording readings for everything is geared to go straight to your mobile phone and, if desired, your doctor thereafter.

Reviewing it posed no problem. A friend, who is a Consultant Cardiologist at a nearby hospital and expert in hypertension, agreed to assist me. He took the machine and put it through its paces and pronounced his verdict.

The first step was to set the machine up via a mobile smart phone (Android or Apple) and this did not take long at all. The cuff could then be applied and proved to be comfortable – provided your upper arm was long enough! The machine is powered by batteries and these come ready installed so that you can be up and running in minutes. The measurement operation was smooth, done without tubes and was executed via Bluetooth with the reading soon appeared on the phone. My friend was delighted and clearly felt that it was a smart device that was entirely fit for purpose – for him, it was a very jolly experience.

My general feeling is that you could get away with a much cheaper item. This one retails above the £100 mark, so you are paying quite an amount for all the bells and whistles. There is also the large metal bar containing the batteries etc. that runs the length of the cuff and this makes it difficult to apply on the much shorter arm. It also adds to the device’s bulk.

For the techie enthusiast, however, this could be just “what the doctor ordered”. It also carries validation by appropriate bodies, so it is generally accurate. I would point out, however, that such devices are only as good as their user and you should follow the directions for use carefully to ensure that you get an accurate reading as this does matter.

In summary, if you are drawn to gadgetry do buy and enjoy. I am a simple soul personally and shall return to a basic electronic device at a bargain basement price. My feeling is that, provided the machine is validated appropriately, you simply cannot go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with a couple of squiggles., 20 Oct. 2014
This is a superbly designed product, true to the very high standards that Withings sets itself. In order to set it up you have to connect the BPM to your iPhone (or Android) by Bluetooth. The actual process for setting up is very simple. Once set-up you switch on Bluetooth on your iPhone and on the BPM, and the BPM window (which is a subset of the Withings Health Mate app) opens. You then press start on the iPhone app and it takes a reading. If you want to, it can also take an average of three readings (although for some arcane FDA ruling in the US this has to be toggled on each time you take a reading. You can't leave it on as the default setting.)

There are a couple of points to note. Firstly, you should pay close attention to the instructions (which pop us every time you start up) as to how you take the readings. If you are not sitting with your arm in the correct position, or you are jiggling around during the reading you will get a "Reading Failed" message.

And secondly, if two of you want to share the BPM and each take your own readings, the BPM is a lot less user-friendly than the Withings scales (which connect by WiFi). To handle two users you have to make absolutely certain that only the user taking a reading has their Bluetooth switched on. Otherwise, if the BPM senses that there are two competing Bluetooth signals within range it won't know which one is which. If Withings could get the BPM to connect to WiFi like its scales do, it would fully justify 5 stars. As it is 4 stars seems reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient way to measure and track BP, 18 Feb. 2015
I've been monitoring my blood pressure for years now and this is what I've been looking for for so long.

Simple to use, put the arm band on, unlock your phone, press the button on the armband cyclinder, follow the instructions on your phone screen and about thirty seconds later you'll have a reading which will be stored to the phone app. You have two options - to take a spot pressure or to let it take three over a couple of minutes and average them out. You can also enter a comment to go with each reading so you can track trends in lifestyle, time of day, sleep, general well being etc.

You can review your previous readings at a glance on the app - much better than my other batter powered stand alone unit that can only record the last 10 readings.

I did a quick test against another monitor which has been recently calibrated and the results were almost identical therefore, from my experience so far, this system is accurate. Something I'll keep monitoring for the future.

Tip: To make sure you get an accurate reading - follow the guidance. Don't rush it - allow yourself 5 minutes to stabilise before you start. Sit up straight with you back supported, sit still, feet on the floor, rest the tested arm on a table at around heart height.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a while!, 15 Mar. 2014
The device arrived well packaged and I had no problem connecting it to my HTC One. It appeared to be a good quality device and it worked well for about three weeks. Then I started to get an error mesage each time that the reading had failed. I discoved that if I removed the batteries for a few seconds and re-inserted them then the device would work for one time only.

I emailed Withings support requesting help but it takes them at least 2 working days to respond to each email! Eventually they agreed to accept a return of the device. They finally sent me a code to re-order from their online store, but the code did not work! I have asked for my money back...

Update 07/04/2014. It is now 2 weeks since Withings responded to any of my emails and they still have £109 of my money. They have no live support or any phone number. I will not purchase from them again. Downgraded to one star.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›