5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, but also hugely practical and easy to use
I've had the excellent WiFi Withings weight / body fat / air quality scales for sometime now and have been very pleased with them. They are sleek and elegant but are also very practical if you - like me - have bought into the 'big data' revolution and want immediate submission of your data into the 'cloud' for ongoing analysis.

I'd been holding back from...
Published 15 months ago by Matt

Published 13 months ago by N. Gratton

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, but also hugely practical and easy to use, 1 Feb. 2014
Matt (Lewes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant) (Personal Care)

I'd been holding back from buying the older wired blood pressure monitor from Withings as it shipped with the old iPhone adapter and I don't like using the fiddly adapter for the iPhone 5/5s for retro-fit. I also hoped they'd bring out a wireless version that is far more future proof and of course will work with non-apple products. So along come this brand new wireless version in Jan 2014 so I just had to try it!

As with all Withings products it is beautifully designed and put together. The gorgous packaging and fine materials of the device itself gives you a premium feel similar to that of opening an Apple product for the first time. In the box is the Withings wireless blood pressure reader, a back-up wired connector (very useful just in case the wireless fails or you don't want to use Bluetooth), a quick start manual and a more detailed manual. The 4x AAA batteries are pre-installed so the product is ready-to-go out of the box.

Set-up is a joy via Bluetooth and took literally just a couple of minutes with intuative step-by-step instructions on-screen through the Withings app on my iPhone 5. The Withings unit is seamlessly controlled via the app on the phone during use with no need to mess with any setting on the actual device after initially switching on. It turns off automatically after use.

One of the nice surprising new features is the "Auto" feature that you can set to automatically conduct 3x measurements in succession (with obviously a short gap in between for rest) with the average taken for even more accurate measurements just as my doctor asked me to do when using a manual traditional blood pressure monitor.

Other really nice features include:

- automatic time of day capture with each blood pressure reading that you can later analyse between am and pm readings and understand how your blood pressure changes throughout the day automatically via the dashboard in the app
- auto capture of your resting pulse
- real-time readings being sent to the app on the phone so you can see what's going on whilst the devise is working
- battery charge indicator through the app

For those geeks / power-users out there who want more, the best and most useful feature is of course the seamless ability to capture all the readings from the device which are then sent 'to the cloud' and shared with the other growing number of apps in the wellbeing/health eco-system that you give permission.

For me I use:

- Combination of Withings BP monitor & Scales for my weight, fat percentage, pulse-rate and blood pressure readings
- Jawbone UP for my activity tracking 24/7 and sleep tracking
- Sleepio for personalised CBT sleep training (which seamlessly integrates to Jambone UP)
- MyFitnessPal for food and drink tracking
- Run Keeper for fitness tracking
- The ability to easily send data through to your doctor and/or 3rd party as required via email
- and all the data from all the above automated & manual inputs analysed and reported by TicTrak

And what does all this data tell me? Well, that I am over-weight with high blood pressure who eats (and drinks) too much and spends an awful lot of time sitting around and not enough time exercising.

Sadly non of this wonderful technology replaces personal motivation, some personal discipline and lifestyle change. But SURELY there must be an app for that I hear you cry!?

In summary, the Withings wireless blood pressure monitor is highly recommended and a joy to use and own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality product for use with mobile devices, 5 April 2014
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Withings BP monitor is part of a range of health products produced by Withings which also includes: weighing scales and pedometer/pulse meter/sleep monitor. It's a robust product and having compared it to other BP machines for a month the results seem realistic.

The device

The BP cuff unlike other products is rigid, a pre curled material with a flexible end with Velcro to secure. Attached to the cuff is a large circular tube which houses the mechanism to pump up the cuff and transmit the readings. The device comes in a box but there is no storage bag.

The product comes with very brief pictorial instructions. Although the set up was not difficult I would have liked a few more words. You down load an app onto your Android or Apple mobile device (phone/tablet), set up an account turn on the Bluetooth, and take a measurement. There is no display on the device you can't use it without a mobile device. Nor can you run the device from a computer, although you can log into your account on a pc/Mac and view your results.

Having used BP machines fairly extensively I found it reasonably easy to wrap around my own arm correctly. The flap is long to allow a variety of arm widths, for most people it will be a bit long and the excess can get in the way of starting the device. When a reading has been taken the results are colour coded red for high, amber for elevated, green for normal. Pulse is recorded also. There is link to show a table of WHO criteria values for BP, which appears at the end of the reading. However I could not see how to access this later when looking at the summary of values. You can ask the device to take 3 sequential readings and it then displays the average, but it does not show what the three readings were.

The Withings app

The Apple app requires OS6 or later so won't work with the original iPad. The apps are not identical on Apple vs Android. The apps works ok but could be much better. You can set up a profile within your account for family members or guests. It records BP as a graph, although you can change the scale from 2 weeks, 1 month, 4 months 6 months or 1 year it defaults back every time you reopen it. Its hard to see on the graph a single days readings, however there is a table to scroll through all your data. The Withings web site it shows a share button but I could not find this on Apple or Androids apps. The Apple app has a share with my doctor category where you add the recipients email and it sends a list of readings. The same feature is not there on Android, the sharing function on Android only sent an email saying how great the product was, saving to drop box did the same!

The app is designed to also measure weight, sleep, and activity as well as BP. If you don't necessarily need to all the other Withings equipment to use some of these features.

Weight- the app pairs with Withings scales, but you you can still log your weight manually. You can also pair with MyFitnessPal app.

The sleep component uses the Withings Pulse or Bodymedia device. The activity uses the Withings pulse, Body media or Runkeeper a free App which tracks your activity running, walking cycling via the GPS on your phone.

The Withings app could be a little more user friendly. For example the cuff turns off quite quickly after use, It would be good if there were some reminder to turn on the blue tooth and reactivate the device.. The button to take a reading only appears when the device is powered up. The app was quite slow to respond when I went to set up a second user, and I ended up doing it twice. Then could not easily work out how to remove the duplicate. However but apps get updated quickly so this may change esp as Withings asks for feedback.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works but connection to Samsung Androids more miss than hit, 20 Mar. 2014
N. Gratton "Writer & Photographer" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately it took many attempts each time to get this to connect to my Samsung Galaxy S2 or my girlfriend's Galaxy Tab 2, and turning on/off the phone, cuff and bluetooth in different combinations was a huge waste of time - and didn't identify any method that made connecting more likely. I also tried connecting via the included USB cable to my phone, but couldn't get a working connection that way at all.

Once it was connected, it worked very well with the Withings software starting automatically and the result coming back quickly; the figures it gave seemed consistent with my other most recent blood pressure checks so it does seem to be accurate. The software does a good job of keeping track of readings over time. Unfortunately for me, with this example and my devices, connecting the cuff was too frustrating for me to keep using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Gadget Lovers with Big Arms, 3 Dec. 2014
I confess that I'm a fan of Withings products. I have an old set of Withings Wifi Scales and I have a Withings Pulse. This Blood Pressure Monitor came up on Amazon Black Friday Lightning Deals, so I took the plunge.

First impressions first - it is very green. By which I mean the colour and not "environmentally friendly" :) If you don't like green you're out of luck! Inside the box I found a little booklet titled "Quick Installation Guide". This is, perhaps, not the best title for instructions sent with a medical device. Or perhaps it was just my weird mind that had me giggling at the possible places they might be suggesting I install it. I was relieved to find it was actually just talking about installing the app on my iPad/mobile device. Subsequently the instructions weren't as interesting to me, so I ignored them. Installation is simple and the app guides you through it. This part of the process is slick and easy.

When it comes to the app. On Apple devices you require iOS 6.0 or above. On android you require Android 4.0 or higher. On my iPad I had to install the iPhone version of the app.

To me it's a nice looking piece of kit with the good build quality I'd expect of Withings. I was, however, a little bit surprised by its size. If I roll my sleeves up and put the blood pressure monitor on then it barely fits and the tubular bit of the device presses against my lower arm. It's not particularly comfortable. I'm tall and with long arms, people with short/smaller arms will probably not find it easy to use.

The monitor can take your blood pressure using one measurement or as an average of three measurements with configurable intervals (e.g. 3 measurements with a 2 minute gap between). This seems a brilliant idea to me. However, to use the latter mode you have to turn it on in the app each time you use it. That's rather inconvenient when I forget and I wish it would just remember my settings. Not the end of the world but a bit niggly.

I have taken about 30 measurements, it has failed to read properly on two occassions. This is slightly frustrating but the failure rate is on a par with just about every other blood pressure monitor I've used. When it does this I merely check that I've not actually died, do indeed have a pulse, and try again. This has, so far, always proved a successful strategy! Based on what readings I would normally expect to get, the results it provides seem reasonably accurate.

For a relatively high price you get a well built, bulky, average performing, blood pressure monitor. The distinguishing feature is that it stores your results to your Withings account and the app for you. As a gadget lover I'm a big fan of that. Realistically though, you're going to have to be a gadget lover to justify the price for that one feature and not just write your results down with the, old fashioned, pen and paper approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great BP monitor, but software could use some more attention..., 28 Jun. 2014
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
In my quest to become healthier, I've added a new item to my tracking and monitoring... the Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor. This is an arm-cuff home BP monitoring device that integrates with my iPhone, and I'm impressed. I've used wrist-cuff monitors before, but I've heard that they aren't nearly as accurate as the arm-cuff "gold standard". The Withings monitor is easy to use, and I'm looking forward to seeing what my long-term trends will end up being.

Set-up was easy. I already had the Withings app on my iPhone for my scale, so all I had to do was to make sure I paired the monitor with my iPhone via bluetooth. Once that was done, then the Withings application added the monitor, did all the set-up, and I was ready to test.

The cuff was easy to slip onto my arm and wrap around via the velcro fastener. The iPhone controls the starting of the test, and the overall process takes about 20 to 30 seconds. The readout gives me my BP reading along with my heart rate, and then syncs the results to my Withings account. All very easy...

The only down side isn't with the hardware, but with the software. The iPhone app seems to be limited in what it can do (configuration, sharing with other apps, etc.) It points you back to the main website, but even there, things are not intuitive. I never could quite find the way to connect my account with other services, as links were broken or didn't lead anywhere. That doesn't negate the value of being able to track BP numbers, but a decent app that interfaces with other services well would make so many more things possible.

Overall, this is a very good monitor and something that will be part of my daily health routine.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashes at every use, 11 Mar. 2014
It is not value for money product. The only value added function is the coonection with smartphones, but dosent,t work properly with my 4s of apple, crashes every use and restart is nnede ( by battery removing). product underdeveloped, it is not worth any of money in my opinion

1.0 out of 5 stars The wireless blood pressure meter does not work properly, 9 out of 10 automode measurements fail, 19 Feb. 2014
I received my Withings BPM a few days ago and paired it with my Sony android phone. I am very disappointed with the device. 9 automode measurements out of 10 fails. I have carefully wrapped it on my arm according to the instructions in the manual. The air pump does not lift start pressure high enough, most often only up to 160-170mmHG, which is not enough to measure my often high blood pressure. The electric motor with 4 small AAA batteries seems too weak and under-dimensioned, not giving pressure enough and stops pumping too early. This causes the measurements to fail. I have tried with 3 different brands of alkaline batteries, all fresh batteries. Did not help.
My old device, an Omron M7 with a similar type of cuff works without problems. It always lift start pressure above 210 mmHg. It has a far much more effective pump powered by 4 AA batteries. The Withings device is a useless toy compared to my old Omron.
The wireless connection is nice, but wireless connection does not compensate when the meter itself fails.
I also have a Withings WS-50 scale which is a great device, the scale is accurate and Wifi a most nice feature, but their BPM is useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor accuracy, 31 July 2014
The device feels very high quality and is very simple to operate however I cannot get any consistency in readings, if I take 3 readings one after another my diastolic measurement varies by up to 30 and the systolic about 15. It also fails to take measurements more often than I think is acceptable even after carefully ensuring the band is correctly wrapped around the arm etc. I would estimate that about 1 in 4 measurement fail and I have to re-test. Overall I'm very unhappy with the product and even more unhappy with Withings support whom I contacted about this issue and got no response.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally Works Well, 30 Mar. 2014
Brett H (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea of having a blood pressure monitor which will communicate with your blue tooth device and keep a record of readings over time is appealing. Couple that with the Withings App, whereby you can also monitor weight, set objectives over time and also keep a record of your heart beat and you are creating a very useful record to have which will be, for some, quite motivational.

It was therefore with high hopes that I started to use this device. However, unfortunately I ran into technical difficulties. There was no problem in pairing the monitor with my iPad, which recognised it straight away. Having downloaded the app I was all set to go and quickly registered putting in my weight, height etc. The iPad recognised and connected with the BPM35 as soon as it was switched on. However, when I tried to install the monitor on the app, it all went into deep thought mode and gave a message `Waiting for the Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor'.

After some minutes of this inactivity we moved on from the message above and some instructions as to how to use the BPM came onto the screen. I was able to start the BPM from the app. However, although the cuff inflated and then deflated the screen continued to state `Measurement in Progress' and refused to budge. Then, after a few fruitless efforts miraculously everything started to work and the device took my blood pressure and recorded it. I was impressed and put the issues above down to teething difficulties which would soon be forgotten. Having subsequently used the device, there have been further minor problems along the lines described above, but generally it has worked fine. The iPad has recorded the readings and it has been a useful resource to refer back to. The readings given have been reasonably consistent with my trusty Omron.

Therefore to date, once the teething difficulties were overcome, this BPM has worked as intended and appears accurate. It clearly costs quite a lot more than a less sophisticated device without the bluetooth connection. However, if you are interested in keeping an ongoing record of your blood pressure then this is a good way of doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 18 May 2014
I must admit to being a Withings convert, I already had a smart body analyser and Pulse before this. It is expensive by comparison to other units, but the quality is superb, and linked to the Withings iPhone app makes monitoring and storing your blood pressure and other parameters a dream. I used this and the other items to help me lose 14kg in just over 2 months and to visualise the health gains I have made, and have continued to use them to control my weight since.

Specifically for this item, first you link the device to your iphone and withings app via Bluetooth which is a simple task. You then simply place it on your upper arm and press the on button. The Whithings app launches automatically, it measures your BP and pulse, and stores it in the app and your online account. You can also email it directly from the app to your doctor if you wish. The data is built up over time so you can see the trends, etc.

There is also an auto mode, to take an average over 3 readings, and a 'guest' mode to take a 3rd parties reading without corrupting your data.

Overall very impressed, and highly recommended