5.0 out of 5 stars Like a kid's Star Wars
Published 7 months ago by L A

Published 6 months ago by Lucinda

3.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic futuristic sci-fi adventure that will delight children & let their imaginations soar!, 12 Feb 2014
This brilliant book is a compilation of time travel thorough space, witches and traditional magic {i.e classic fantasy themes} with clever telepathy thrown into the mix. Any child who delights in exciting out-of-this-world tales will be enchanted by this spectacular story ~ ideal for fans of Doctor Who or Philip Pullman. This is the first novel I have encountered where Angels, Space Bikes, modern amusement parks and medieval castles are all present within the same context!

Yes, this story is as far-fetched and as eccentric as they come...but sometimes the most believable fantasy worlds in a child's mind are those that incorporate the weird, wonderful and highly fabricated. It may appear to readers over the age of 11 to be somewhat too unbelievable, hence why I would only recommend this story to the younger reader.

Fast-paced and action packed I was taken on a roller coaster of a ride, which was full of wondrous new discoveries and refreshing originality. The Pentacles, the dog Otto and the Elfinriddlers together with the main protagonist were all highly memorable characters that I simply loved. The serious undertone of the story that speaks of morality and truth is commendable, as too is the sense of camaraderie and teamwork interlaced within the plot. Although I do think this book may appeal more to boys than girls, the way in which the author touches on the topic of bullying is an element that reaches out to all.

I adore anything that combines sci-fi and fantasy fiction, therefore I loved the way in which G E F Neilson merged together magic with time-travel to create an entirely different alternate world. Scintillating suspense and entrancing mystery adds that extra layer of intrigue which kept me glued to the pages throughout, utterly mesmerized by such a fascinating world that I had plunged into.
Most of all, children will be entertained by the humor and fun of this book!

Cosmic Aviators - flight edition {book 1} I won through a GoodReads, first-read giveaway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a kid's Star Wars, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cosmic Aviators« - Book 1 - Flight Edition (Cosmic Aviators« Series) (Kindle Edition)
I had my nephews over for the holidays and bought few books to keep them entertained. 'Cosmic Aviators' was their favorite one. I didn't hear a pip coming out of their room, I was puzzled by the quietness and started reading it with them and was surprised at how entertaining I found the book. It really reminded me of Star Wars, I felt and so did they, that I was in the story, like a fly on the wall. The author has a way of drawing you into the story it is amazing. As an adult, I found the story really well written and from my nephews' point of view it was very easy to read and entertaining. I'm looking forward to read more of the author's books and I won't even wait until my nephews are next around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read for mom and kids!, 30 Dec 2013
Amazon Customer (Great White North) - See all my reviews
Cosmic Aviators was a fun read for my school age kids and myself. When 12-year-old Nathanial realizes he has telekinetic abilities, it is only the beginning of his magical adventure. He with his new friends, Spaceboy Theodore, aliens Ruben and Octavia and even his dog Otto band together to fight the evil Sebastien who is trying to destroy a planet in the 4th dimension. Surprising twists and turns, fast paced and entertaining makes this a 5/5 stars for me and my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly intelligent, 9 Dec 2013
Cosmic Aviators is a wonderful sci-fi story for children that will boost their vocabulary and keep them reading to the end. It's the kind of book that the 21st century child will find enthralling; the characters are well drawn, the story well paced and interesting, and the writing style of the author is controlled and easy. I love the characters and, having read the story to my children, see how they have been written so as to make them easily understandable . This is not a piece of naive and artless fiction however, the characters, although slightly archetypal, are never shallow. I would recommend this book to any parent looking to fill a Christmas Kindle with a good selection of children's fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable SC-Fi tale, 9 Dec 2013
The story starts with Nathaniel Ravenscroft, the 12 year old hero, enjoying a bike ride with his friend Tyler, playing children's fantasy games, griping about how mundane their life in small town Littlehampton is, and, as with all great children's fiction, unaware of the fantastic adventures he will face ahead. Neilson introduces the main protagonist early which nicely sets the tone for the remainder of the book. The heroes and villains are easily accessible. Nathaniel is a likable young man, smart and sporty who obviously cares for his physically weaker, bookish friend Tyler, nicely highlighted by the banter the two share in the early chapters - probably the most endearing character relationship in the book. The supporting cast all help to build Nathaniel's character and the story, Professor Ravenscroft, the Archetypal `Absent Minded Professor, the `Evil Uncle' Sebastian and, of course, Ruben and Octavia, the Cosmic Aviators of the title. The main cosmic story arc is enjoyable, without being overly complicated and Neilson displays a talent for understanding what young readers will find exciting.
The two worlds, one ordinary and one fantastical has obviously been used before in children's fiction, but very rarely in a Science Fiction setting, and I have to admit it works. What could have easily been a generic Fantasy, with Wizards and Elves is transformed into an action/adventure perfect for a generation growing up with Star Wars and Doctor Who. I particularly liked the boys mistaking the aliens as witches and their weapons for wands, a nice little twist that marks this book apart from others of the same genre. Neilson's writing style is fluid, with an obvious affection for the characters that carries the reader along. She also has a rare understanding of how to set an adventure that will keep the younger reader hooked. The pace is perfect, allowing time for the characters to define themselves, but with the action building slowly to keep the reader's attention. Neilson does not patronise her target audience with overly simplistic language, a trap that too many Children's Authors fall into, but writes with a rare acknowledgment of the language skills of the young. There may be times when some readers will need to ask the meaning of a word, but anything that increases a child's vocabulary can only be a good thing.
Overall, the book is challenging, but not overly so as to be off putting. It's a great adventure story, entertaining, well thought out and will keep its readers turning the page to see what happens next. I really hope we see more of Nathaniel's adventures in the forth-dimension in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Star wars for kids great story, 7 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this book it is a great story. I got the feeling when reading this book that is was like a children's star wars because of the story line taking the path that it does it makes for a really interesting and exciting story. This book grabbed me in the first few page and I could not put it down. The adventure that Nathaniel and his friend take in the book is really great I love this sort of adventure book it keeps you guessing as to what will happen next.

The book is beautifully written and the author has a great ability to keep you interested in what you are reading I found it really easy to read and understand. The style in which the book is written made me feel like I was there with Nathaniel and Tyler and it really got my imagination going.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone who likes this sort of story I am going to look out for more books by this author simply because of the style that they write in it just makes you want to carry on reading and I hope there will be a second book to follow this great story. All in all a great book in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intelligent, Exciting and Charming Book for Younger Readers, 6 Dec 2013
The book starts with Nathaniel Ravenscroft, the 12 year old hero, enjoying a bike ride with his friend Tyler, playing children's fantasy games, griping about how mundane their life in small town Littlehampton is, and, as with all great children's fiction, unaware of the fantastic adventures he will face ahead. Neilson introduces the main protagonists early which nicely sets the tone for the remainder of the book. The heroes and villains are easily accessible. Nathaniel is a likable young man, smart and sporty who obviously cares for his physically weaker, bookish friend Tyler, nicely highlighted by the banter the two share in the early chapters - probably the most endearing character relationship in the book. The supporting cast all help to build Nathaniel's character and the story, Professor Ravenscroft, the Archetypal `Absent Minded Professor, the `Evil Uncle' Sebastian and, of course, Ruben and Octavia, the Cosmic Aviators of the title. The main cosmic story arc is enjoyable, without being overly complicated and Neilson displays a talent for understanding what young readers will find exciting.

The two worlds, one ordinary and one fantastical has obviously been used before in children's fiction, but very rarely in a Science Fiction setting, and I have to admit it works. What could have easily been a generic Fantasy, with Wizards and Elves is transformed into an action/adventure perfect for a generation growing up with Star Wars and Doctor Who. I particularly liked the boys mistaking the aliens as witches and their weapons for wands, a nice little twist that marks this book apart from others of the same genre. Neilson's writing style is fluid, with an obvious affection for the characters and an understanding of how to set an adventure that will keep the younger reader hooked. The pace is perfect, allowing time for the characters to define themselves, but with the action building slowly to keep the reader's attention. Neilson does not patronise her target audience with overly simplistic language, a trap that too many Children's Authors fall into, but writes with a rare acknowledgment of the language skills of the young. There may be times when some readers will need to ask the meaning of a word, but anything that increases a child's vocabulary can only be a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff, exciting, funny and imaginative, 14 Mar 2014
I bought the book to read with my older niece, I am a sci-fi/fantasy fan and was drawn to the manga-looking front cover, which is more her interest. Cosmic Aviators didn't disappoint on any fronts. It's an exciting adventure, funny, imaginative, articulate and doesn't talk down to kids. The story fits within the fine tradition of children's literature including the slightly absent and absent-minded parents and themes of friendship and loyalty along with plenty of gadgets and magic. Fantastic stuff.