4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning monitor with minor flaws
Have just received this monitor in the last few days. First impressions are excellent, the monitor is beautiful, the bezels are tiny, the colours are fantastic.

Being IPS the viewing angles are fantastic but there is a slight glow.

Published 2 months ago by David Bisset

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero stars!
Returned it as it would not work. Not much confidence in any dell product nowadays. Trying to talk to dell is a lost cause. Sad really as they used to be good.
Published 2 hours ago by R. James

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning monitor with minor flaws, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB) (Accessory)

Being IPS the viewing angles are fantastic but there is a slight glow.

On first setting it up I dropped brightness significantly as by default for me it was too bright, but the response is nice and linear and the colours didn't change so this was no problem. I'm using the factory-calibrated mode as it looks best to me, much better than other IPS panels I've used. Compared with a wide gamut screen I use it holds its own, excelling for a 6+2 bit screen. The screen doesn't use PWM to control the brightness so is fine for those who notice the effects of this. Black levels are good for an IPS monitor but not great - though no IPS panels are great. If you're looking for great contrast ratios then go for a VA panel.

It was easy to set up, the stand is nice looking and doesn't waste loads of desk space while being easy to adjust. Build quality is mostly great, however there is some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. In normal use this isn't noticeable so I'll not be sending it back or anything, however in dark scenes this is visible and could annoy some people. The anti-glare coating is light and inoffensive, giving a cleaner looking picture than the coating on the Dell U2313HM that I also have. As I have not used it in a high glare environment I can't comment on how well it does but no reflections are visible in normal indoor use.

Connectivity is more of a mixed bag - it has DisplayPort (I'm using this) and HDMI which is fine for me but may cause trouble for some nVidia graphics card users as these cards will think it's a TV and send a restricted colour range. Fixable, but irritating. Had they included DVI as an option then this problem could have been sidestepped. No VGA may be a problem for old laptops but most have come with HDMI for quite some time now and VGA isn't as good as the digital options anyway.

Pixel responsiveness is very good for the end user, as the overdrive is done well, making it faster in real-world transitions than my old TN panel despite double the quoted response time. An excellent result. I have no way of measuring input lag easily so couldn't comment on this though several reviews suggest it is excellent in this regard also.

I'd highly recommend this monitor to anyone wanting good colours and viewing angles in an attractive package. Being pre-calibrated it's a good option for those needing accurate colour who don't have their own calibration devices, but if you already own a calibration device you could go for the cheaper P2414H instead (though most likely you'll not be looking in this market segment at all)
It is a decent option for gamers who don't want to go for the poor image of TN panels. For the money I know of no better option.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent monitor, 22 Jan 2014
I bought this monitor to connect to my laptop. I use Photo editing tools for personal activities, and I use the monitor for office applications and I sometimes watch movies on it.

While the manufacturing quality is not at the level of an HP EliteBook laptop or an Apple product, this monitor is of high quality. It certainly is better quality than most monitors I've had the occasion to try. The stand is steady and reliable, and the display just looks great.

As for connectivity, I was very happy to see a DisplayPort connection. Installation was plug-and-play: all I had to do was connect my laptop to the monitor using the DisplayPort cable (DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort to be precise) that came with the display, and select the appropriate "Input Source" on the screen (second button from the right). Note that the few buttons on the screen ( on/off, options, selection) are tactile. A USB-to-USB cable was also included. You may need to purchase another cable depending on your configuration.

The display can be rotated along the stand axis or along the horizontal axis, and it can be slid vertically. You will most likely be able to position it very precisely, for optimal visual comfort.

And finally, most importantly: display quality is excellent. It's a real pleasure to look at the screen. The thin side would clearly be a great plus if you plan to have two monitors next to each other.

I highly recommend this screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively Stoked!, 14 Mar 2014
This is the first time I have bought a monitor. In the past I have made do with a TV monitor. Not good. Now that I have space to work, I decided to take the plunge and get a proper monitor. After doing a fair amount of research (not just googling "best monitor for a mac") I decided on Dell, in particularly U2414H. This monitor covers everything I need:

- 2 HDMI ports
- 2 Display ports (1 of these being a mini port too) I'm on a Macbook with a thunderbolt connection, mini-display cable plugs in and works, no need for an adapter.
- 4 port USB hub
- 1920 x 1080p (perfect as I'm work in video)
- IPS
- Great colour control
- Screen size = Large 24inch
- Bezel = Tiny

There is so many great things about the monitor, I even connected my ps3, so I no longer need a TV. Perfect, more space.

2 things you should note:

- This monitor doesn't come with internal speaker. Don't be disappointed, I wasn't, as internal speakers are normally rubbish. Dell sell speakers for this monitor, AC511, which I have ordered. If they're any good I'll add my review for that product here as well.

- It was a little confusing to get it working, be patient. I had to fiddle around with the cables until it magically linked up. If you're on a mac, don't bother with the disc either. All it has is win drivers and what not. I haven't had to download any drivers to get it working on my mac, which is ace.

This is a great monitor and I would recommend it to any one on a mac who doesn't want to shell out for the thunderbolt display. To me, this is just as good and saves me a bundle! I will update my review if I have any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, but be very careful with DisplayPort 1.2 setting, 4 Mar 2014
I'm very happy with this monitor - love the super-thin bezel, very good image quality, easy to set up and a great price.

Despite giving this four stars for the quality of the monitor, I'm actually going to spend most of this review with a complaint and warning to others. I was told, incorrectly, that my early-2011 MacBook Pro 15" DisplayPort supported the DisplayPort 1.2 protocol. Turns out it doesn't. So when I enabled DisplayPort 1.2 the screen went blank, as the instructions said it might. No biggie, you'd think - just get the on-screen display (OSD) up again and either disable DisplayPort 1.2 or do a factory reset. Thing is, you can't get the OSD up until a source is correctly connected to the display. Which means that you can't reset the display, which you want to do because you can't connect correctly to the display, until you correctly connect a device to the display. And so on and so on.

There is no other way to do a factory reset, therefore the only way for me to reset the monitor is to go and buy a mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable so I can connect to the monitor that way and do a factory reset. I confirmed this with a call to Dell tech support, too. I can't imagine quite how the thinking went when designing the firmware. How on earth do you design a monitor where the only way of doing a factory reset is when a device is correctly connected? A major flaw, but it'll only affect you if you don't know this in advance, hence this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had an old TV as an auxiliary monitor and wanted to replace it with something better, 5 Feb 2014
I've used many brands of monitor in the past and I've always found that Dell's are the best (in my opinion). So when I decided I was fed up of my lower resolution, poor colour reproduction TV as an auxiliary display, I turned straight to Dell for its replacement.

This monitor was definitely the best choice I could make as as soon as I took it out of the box, it felt very sturdy and well built and looked very nice. When I was wiring it up, I noticed that it has 3 display port connections: one full-size IN, once miniDP IN and one full-size OUT. I can only guess that this is intended for multiple monitors out of a single display port connector, but I haven't used that feature so I cannot say for sure.

I have 3 Dell 2312HMs that I love and was tempted to just buy another instead, but I thought I'd spend a little more and get something that looks even nicer and it was a great choice. The monitor looks amazing and the bezel is absolutely tiny! I think the spec says that the bezel is 6mm but I swear it's only 3 or 4mm, though it does have the bigger bezel on the bottom. That means that it wouldn't suit an Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround setup in portrait (which I use my 2312HMs for) but would be amazing for landscape.

I'm no monitor expert, but the colour reproduction looks very good and I love the screen - very clear, even backlighting and media looks great on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, except..., 3 April 2014
Dell makes a big deal of the fact that the monitor is supposed to be pre-calibrated, and they even attach a report for your specific screen with the monitor; yet when I switch the monitor on to any colour mode, including sRGB, the resulting image has a pink hue. Not a subtle hue either, any whites will be distinctly pink. Switching the mode to custom is the only way to get an acceptable image, although I will stress that I did manage to achieve exactly what I wanted after tinkering.

Judging by other reviews this is a common problem but not something that is consistent across all screens. I'm perfectly happy with the monitor otherwise, it's well-featured and of a good quality for the price. This was an upgrade from a slightly smaller, cheapo BenQ P-VA monitor with ridiculously aggressive anti-glare so I am happy to see that this monitor has a barely noticeable AG. The shadowing is far better than any previous LCD monitor that I have used - my last IPS screen was a Dell 2405FPW and that produced distracting shadowing in games that this monitor doesn't.

I'd give this five stars if the monitor was properly calibrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Monitor, 4 April 2014
The screen arrived next day even though I had picked super saver delivery, so 5 stars for Amazon's service as usual. This is the first external monitor I have ever purchased and mainly bought it to use with my laptop and PS3. The biggest draw to the monitor was the PWM free backlight meaning no eye strain from backlight flicker and the thin bezel (It is really, really thin). Bearing in mind I don't have a monitor to compare to nor am I well versed in what good colours should look like, this monitor seems to have pretty accurate and good looking colour. Also to my untrained eye I cant see any major backlight clouding or unevenness. It works perfectly with the PS3, I'm not much of a gamer so cant say I've noticed much lag. It also worked fine with my windows laptop but I did have some trouble with my macbook air. There are no dell drivers for Mac OSX as such the OS recognised the display as a TV meaning it does not use full RGB mode causing the colours to be slightly off. Not a big deal but when your paying this much you should expect it to work as intended. There is a fix for this problem, where you have to install a third party patch from the internet, which corrects the problem, although I still cant get the macbook to send audio over the displayport connection. The USB ports are a bit fiddly being at the back meaning you have to reach behind every time you plug something in. Overall a very nice monitor and has made me realise how poor my windows laptop screen was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Panel few niggles, 22 Feb 2014
First up this is a fantastic bit of kit, the panel is stunning and monitor is well equipped.

The monitor itself ships with a minidisplayport to displayport cable (I mistakenly bought one at the same time). The stand is largely the same as ultrasharps of old (extra few degrees of rotation left and right).

downsides - monitor occasionally turns itself on when your pc is off to tell you it has no signal (hence only 4 stars).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Feb 2014
I bought this with a Spyder4Elite for colour calibration, and it's just fantastic. It has a really sharp picture (It is called UltraSharp, you don't need me to tell you this) and it seems like a solid product. It definitely doesn't feel cheap. The adjustable screen height is really nice to set the monitor in the right position. The edges are really thin, barely noticeable - if you even care about that. I run dual screens and will likely replace my second screen shortly for another U2414H.

I felt a couple things let this monitor down, which didn't bother me but may bother others:
- There are no speakers. I have some Logitech external desktop speakers setup. I never feel like internal speaker/camera/mic/whatever else quality is that good in monitors, so this monitor having no speakers was no issue to me.
- No HDMI cable included. Make sure you buy one if you plan to use HDMI.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice monitor for photo editing, 8 Feb 2014
I'm a professional photographer so need a good screen. The Dell U2414H offers superb colour and exposure reproduction. I have mine set to the sRGB setting as I feel this offers the most natural balance. The design is impressive and the flexibility with the stand is great. Being able to have the panel/bezel low down on my desk (about 2 inches off the table top) is a nice feature.

The USB ports are great (if a little fiddly to access) for things like card readers and wireless mice etc.

My only gripe is that I think 1080 resolution is starting to look a little old-school compared to the clarity of 2k, 3k and 4k screens. I think this monitor is probably the largest you'll want to go to for photo editing before you need to bump up the resolution.

But, overall a great purchase and good value at £190.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›