4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, but not without issues
I'm going to attempt to review this monitor by answering the questions I had when contemplating buying it myself.

I needed a monitor that would:

- Offer a better experience for photo-editing than my previous (TN-Panel) monitor (colour accuracy, etc)
- Had generous viewing angles as I intended to have a multiple-monitor setup
- Offered a...
Published 10 months ago by Matthew Carr

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - Displayport implementation is hopeless! LOTS of people having problems.
I bought one of these after reading all of the great reviews, to go with a new Lenovo desktop. It's my first experience of Displayport and at first everything worked fine. next day however when booting up it came up as a VGA desktop and it took many goes of restarting both the PC and the monitor before it would report it correctly and display a proper HD image...
Published 11 months ago by Mark Phillips

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, but not without issues, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB) (Accessory)

I needed a monitor that would:

- Had generous viewing angles as I intended to have a multiple-monitor setup
- Offered a usable (lag/blur/motion/ghosting-free) experience for gaming
- A good stand or VESA mount options

Photography:

I read review after review of this and other monitors and ended up drowning somewhat in the sheer number of different criteria that need to be considered when buying monitors. Things, in truth, I still can't even pretend to understand with any real depth (gamut, contrast stability etc. etc.). In the end I trusted the review from TFT Central - which was very good for this monitor - for the technical bits and was essentially sold as far as the Photography aspect was concerned, but still had concerns over gaming.

I'd recommend the TFT Central review for anyone more knowledgeable with what to expect from a monitor they intend to use for photography. All I can really offer is that photos look noticeably better than on my previous monitor. Colours look vivid and sharp and these monitors do come factory calibrated (note: you need to manually change the preset to sRGB to access the factory calibration). Despicable Me looks very impressive and shows off the colours nicely! Whites look.. white. Blacks look.. as black as I'd expect. I can't say I've noticed any IPS glow, but I believe this is most visible when sitting in a completely dark room, which I don't tend to do.

There were a number of negative reviews of the Dell U2412m recently discussing a yellow-tint issue and I remember seeing one or two mention a similar issue when talking about the U2414h. I'm pleased to say that I haven't noticed any such issue. I'm also pleased to report that there is not a dead-pixel in sight and I bought three of these.

Gaming:

To qualify everything I'm about to say, I would not regard myself as a serious gamer. I spend a lot of time playing games but I don't play in serious competition and don't play many multiplayer FPS titles either. I do play racing games (The Grid series, especially) online and many single-player first-person games. I have never used a 120hz monitor, however my previous (60hz) monitor was rated at 2ms response time, which is probably about average/good for gaming monitors. I did therefore have concerns for gaming when moving to 8ms response time of the U2414h. If you drop into threads on gaming/hardware forums discussing monitors you will see response time figures banded around regularly and broadly speaking refresh rates and response-times are the law. Higher refresh rates and lower response times win. Simple as that. So if, like me, you've already decided on an IPS-panel, then these forums can be a frustrating place to be.

So it is with great delight that I can say I have noticed zero difference in terms of motion blur or 'ghosting' effects moving from my 8ms response time monitor vs my old 2ms response time monitor. My old monitor might have been a lie. Maybe it's not noticeable in the games I've played. Maybe I just can't tell the difference. Regardless, for me, games have only became more enjoyable as the colour accuracy is now better and I have the option for nVidia surround.

Display port:

You may have noticed the lack of criticism so far, mostly as now the monitors are up and running I'm yet to have any real complaints. Getting them set up, though, was a little trickier:

It's easy to say display port is terrible on this monitor and, from my experience, it is, but I don't know for sure whether this is a Dell issue or an nVidia issue. All I know is that I could not get it to work, particularly when trying to Daisy Chain the monitors. I suspect that there is blame on both sides and with nVidia cards being quite common I guess "who's at fault" is irrelevant if there are other monitors out there that simply don't have the issues. I've docked a star for the display port issues but if Display Port does not concern you (I use HDMI instead) then this would be 5 stars all the way.

General Design/Build Quality:

In a word, brilliant. The bezels on this monitor are fantastic, placing side-by-side, the combined width of two bezels is less than that from one of my previous monitors. They look superb in nVidia surround and I presume they would in Eyefinity as well. The monitor stand is surprisingly solid and very easy to adjust and I think there is an option to VESA mount the monitors if needed (Though I think you need a special 'VESA mount kit' from Dell to do this. Tut tut, Dell).

A (very) minor complaint is that I found it quite awkward to plug display-port/hdmi cables into the monitor once it was on the stand. I found it a bit easier by tilting the monitor backwards to give myself a bit more room but it was still awkward. The stand can be swivelled and allows for the monitor to be moved into portrait mode, I haven't really used either since setting them up but these features seemed to function as well as you'd expect.

The absence of DVI inputs, particularly given the Display Port issues, is an issue. I had to buy two DVI to HDMI cables. Not particularly expensive but inconvenient nonetheless.

Summary:

If you're looking for a monitor that is a step-up from a TN-panel for photo-editing/other colour work, happy to play on a 60hz monitor for gaming and have no major affinity for Display Port then I would recommend these completely. Hope this can help people who were on the fence as I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively Stoked!, 14 Mar. 2014
This is the first time I have bought a monitor. In the past I have made do with a TV monitor. Not good. Now that I have space to work, I decided to take the plunge and get a proper monitor. After doing a fair amount of research (not just googling "best monitor for a mac") I decided on Dell, in particularly U2414H. This monitor covers everything I need:

- 2 HDMI ports
- 2 Display ports (1 of these being a mini port too) I'm on a Macbook with a thunderbolt connection, mini-display cable plugs in and works, no need for an adapter.
- 4 port USB hub
- 1920 x 1080p (perfect as I'm work in video)
- IPS
- Great colour control
- Screen size = Large 24inch
- Bezel = Tiny

There is so many great things about the monitor, I even connected my ps3, so I no longer need a TV. Perfect, more space.

2 things you should note:

- This monitor doesn't come with internal speaker. Don't be disappointed, I wasn't, as internal speakers are normally rubbish. Dell sell speakers for this monitor, AC511, which I have ordered. If they're any good I'll add my review for that product here as well.

- It was a little confusing to get it working, be patient. I had to fiddle around with the cables until it magically linked up. If you're on a mac, don't bother with the disc either. All it has is win drivers and what not. I haven't had to download any drivers to get it working on my mac, which is ace.

This is a great monitor and I would recommend it to any one on a mac who doesn't want to shell out for the thunderbolt display. To me, this is just as good and saves me a bundle! I will update my review if I have any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning monitor with minor flaws, 27 Jan. 2014
Have just received this monitor in the last few days. First impressions are excellent, the monitor is beautiful, the bezels are tiny, the colours are fantastic.

Being IPS the viewing angles are fantastic but there is a slight glow.

On first setting it up I dropped brightness significantly as by default for me it was too bright, but the response is nice and linear and the colours didn't change so this was no problem. I'm using the factory-calibrated mode as it looks best to me, much better than other IPS panels I've used. Compared with a wide gamut screen I use it holds its own, excelling for a 6+2 bit screen. The screen doesn't use PWM to control the brightness so is fine for those who notice the effects of this. Black levels are good for an IPS monitor but not great - though no IPS panels are great. If you're looking for great contrast ratios then go for a VA panel.

It was easy to set up, the stand is nice looking and doesn't waste loads of desk space while being easy to adjust. Build quality is mostly great, however there is some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. In normal use this isn't noticeable so I'll not be sending it back or anything, however in dark scenes this is visible and could annoy some people. The anti-glare coating is light and inoffensive, giving a cleaner looking picture than the coating on the Dell U2313HM that I also have. As I have not used it in a high glare environment I can't comment on how well it does but no reflections are visible in normal indoor use.

Connectivity is more of a mixed bag - it has DisplayPort (I'm using this) and HDMI which is fine for me but may cause trouble for some nVidia graphics card users as these cards will think it's a TV and send a restricted colour range. Fixable, but irritating. Had they included DVI as an option then this problem could have been sidestepped. No VGA may be a problem for old laptops but most have come with HDMI for quite some time now and VGA isn't as good as the digital options anyway.

Pixel responsiveness is very good for the end user, as the overdrive is done well, making it faster in real-world transitions than my old TN panel despite double the quoted response time. An excellent result. I have no way of measuring input lag easily so couldn't comment on this though several reviews suggest it is excellent in this regard also.

I'd highly recommend this monitor to anyone wanting good colours and viewing angles in an attractive package. Being pre-calibrated it's a good option for those needing accurate colour who don't have their own calibration devices, but if you already own a calibration device you could go for the cheaper P2414H instead (though most likely you'll not be looking in this market segment at all)
It is a decent option for gamers who don't want to go for the poor image of TN panels. For the money I know of no better option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats my expectations, very pleased., 27 Sept. 2014
There's lots on the web about this screen and Macs - for me I un-boxed, I plugged the screen in and presto - worked fine with no adjustments.
All the cables I needed for my 13" MacBook Air (mid-2013 model) were in the box, nice to see a hardware supplier not being mean and including all the cables needed - well done Dell...!!
Maybe it's not made clear that the MacBook Air's monitor port is also the thunderbolt port. For this screen you're using the port as a monitor port, there's nothing "thunderbolt" about this screen - simple as that. You'll need the use the USB cable that comes with the screen too to plug into the monitor if you want to use the monitor's built in USB hub and you'll need that for the optional speaker. Add a power cable onto your mac and it's 3 cables out the mac, but fine with me.
I bought the extra Dell speaker bar, not brilliant sound but just ok and very neat speaker add-on. Shame on Dell for not offering a really good speaker bar.
In summary the screen is a really good purchase, and it looks great even switched off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 22 Aug. 2014
This display replaced a similarly priced Samsung and the difference is huge. I'm using it for semi-pro Photographic work with a MacBook Pro Retina and I'm very happy with the colour and sharpness. This display looks and feels like a quality product that should cost more.

Unlike other reviewers, I've had no problem at all with displayport. Cables were included and it worked right out of the box without problems.

I read a lot of expert reviews and the consensus seemed to be that for anything except the most high-end specialist tasks, this is good all choice. My own experience bears this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A note to NVidia customers, 21 Aug. 2014
I have these working in a triple monitor set-up and they look fantastic.

It’s important to note, however, that NVidia Surround does not support a daisy chain set-up via the display port and you will need to purchase additional cables to set that up. In my case, I had to purchase an additional three passive DVI-D to HDMI leads before I was ready to go.

I’m running two GTX780’s in SLI. NVidias recommended configuration for this set-up is to run the 1st and 2nd monitor from the DVI outputs from the 1st card and the 3rd monitor from the 1st DVI output on the 2nd card. The accessory monitor can then be connected via HDMI or Display Port from the 1st card. If you’re running one GPU or three or more then your configuration will be different, check with NVidia’s website for your recommended set-up.

If you’re not looking to set-up NVidia surround then it’s still worth noting that NVidia GPU’s have problems with this model from Dell with regards to the Display Port. From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem clear if the problem lies with NVidia or Dell but that part of the issue is the slightly different implementation of Display Ports across the industry. For instance, you can get 19pin and 20pin cables which can behave differently. If you use the HDMI inputs though you should be fine, AMD GPU’s should also be fine.

As a side note, because the bezel is so thin it’s difficult to get all three monitors to line up correctly. I’m still waiting for an Ergotech monitor stand to arrive but find that a thin application of black tack between the sides of each monitor works really well to help position them together and remove any thin gaps that let light through. Black tack is just like blue tack but more adhesive and appropriately black in colour to match the monitors. It may leave a sticky residue over time but this can be easily cleaned with Eucalyptus oil just don’t get any on the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 24 Nov. 2014
This monitor has been a perfect match for working and gaming with, it's well constructed and provides high image quality there isn't many other 24' monitors that can compare, I highly recommend this to everyone!

Bezels: You may have noticed the thin bezels on this display and I must say that when using the monitor this provided me with more immersion in games and made for better media consumption because the screen edges are less noticable

Movement: You can twist, rotate and height adjust with this monitor and this works simply and wonderfully, it allows you to adapt to your preferences and even use the monitor in portrait mode!

Image: 1440p would have been phenomenal on this display but it would also cost a lot more! 1080p looks great on this screen and the colours are better than the LED panel I had before which left something to be desired. It's an IPS display which provides better viewing angles and in my opinion slightly sharper image. No issues here and the monitor comes with certification of the colours being tested by Dell engineers.

Overall: If you're looking for a 24' monitor for either productivity, media consumption, gaming or video/image editing then this is perfect, the amount of customisability and the variety of ports on the back is great to see, I have no massive complaints about this monitor and think it was worth every penny over a standard LED one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had an old TV as an auxiliary monitor and wanted to replace it with something better, 5 Feb. 2014
I've used many brands of monitor in the past and I've always found that Dell's are the best (in my opinion). So when I decided I was fed up of my lower resolution, poor colour reproduction TV as an auxiliary display, I turned straight to Dell for its replacement.

This monitor was definitely the best choice I could make as as soon as I took it out of the box, it felt very sturdy and well built and looked very nice. When I was wiring it up, I noticed that it has 3 display port connections: one full-size IN, once miniDP IN and one full-size OUT. I can only guess that this is intended for multiple monitors out of a single display port connector, but I haven't used that feature so I cannot say for sure.

I have 3 Dell 2312HMs that I love and was tempted to just buy another instead, but I thought I'd spend a little more and get something that looks even nicer and it was a great choice. The monitor looks amazing and the bezel is absolutely tiny! I think the spec says that the bezel is 6mm but I swear it's only 3 or 4mm, though it does have the bigger bezel on the bottom. That means that it wouldn't suit an Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround setup in portrait (which I use my 2312HMs for) but would be amazing for landscape.

I'm no monitor expert, but the colour reproduction looks very good and I love the screen - very clear, even backlighting and media looks great on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, I'm getting another, 10 Oct. 2014
Coming from a measly 1366x768 resolution to 1920x1080 feels great.

The stand is sturdy and is very adjustable, allowing pivot, tilt and swivel.
The built in USB hub I found useful for my keyboard and headset receiver. The USB hub is also powered when not plugged into the PC, meaning you can use to to power an LED strip behind the monitor without having a long USB cable reaching to your PC.

There are touch sensitive buttons which are a nice touch.

I'd recommend going into the settings on the monitor and enable Display Port 1.2 immediately, as this allows you to link together monitors, eliminating cable clutter going to the PC a little.

Colours look great and the thin bezels are really nice, although bear in mind that the panel doesn't run all the way up to the plastic around the outside of the monitor, when the screen is on there's about a 5mm black edge with a little less on the bottom bezel.

I found that there is a little backlight bleed in the bottom left corner, although very minor and I can only notice it if I look for it on a pure black image.

I plan on buying another to replace my secondary screen. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clutter-free and good looking, 24 Oct. 2014
Looks great on my desk, and the bezel is tiny tiny tiny. The touch buttons are a little bit precise, unless your finger is exactly over them they don't like you and won't respond, but they work.

It's really easy to change the height, angle etc of the monitor. It actually feels like the monitor will surely fall down when you left go when changing the height because of how easy it is, but it seems to be calibrated just right.

There aren't speakers, but I'd rather not pay extra for included rubbishy speakers and just use the ones I've got. There is also an option of plugging Dell speakers directly into the screen which looks pretty cool.

The loop for all the wires is also a unexpected dream, I use a wired mouse and keyboard as my wireless mouse I had didn't like any surfaces I put it on. Plenty of room for every cable you'd ever need!

Final point, the USB on the back of the screen (the only one not with the other input/outputs behind the bottom of the TV) is the only USB port I have, including the USB 3.0s in my PC that can charge my iPad Air. It's slow but it does it, so I no longer need to crawl around looking for a spare socket.