4.0 out of 5 stars Like sleeping on white fluffy clouds, 23 April 2014
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Silentnight King Geltex Indulgence 1850 Mattress (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The mattress was delivered by ArrowXL who is part of Yodel, however they are trying to distance themselves and i have to say i was pretty impressed with their service.

I received a text message to say what day it was being delivered, then i received another one the day before giving me a 2 hour window, and then on the morning of the delivery i was called by the drivers mate who said they were 10 minutes away.

They unloaded it and placed it in the room of my choice, they were also very friendly and polite, the delivery guys get 5 stars.

The mattress then...

The smell, oh my god, its horrific, i opened the plastic and was heaving, it was putrid.
Very strong chemical smell, almost bleach like in its strength, i had to put it outside for the 1st day as it was so vile, luckily it was a sunny day, and then it came in to air in a room with the windows open and it still took 3 days for the smell to dissipate, please make allowances for this because there is no way you will be able to sleep on this the same day it gets delivered, you would gas yourself.

This mattress is the 1850 which is Medium Soft, i think that is pretty accurate if im honest.

The mattress is medium and the pillow top is soft, the pillow top is sewn into the mattress giving you an additional 8cm of softness.

I received the King Size which measures 150cm x 200cm - approx. 5'0" x 6'7".

The mattress is very smart and a lovely mink shade, and the pure white geltex layer on the top has a very unusual feel to it, i cant quite describe it, like a foamy feeling, but not memory foam.

Lying down...

This mattress is super super comfy, however if you have been sleeping on a normal mattress like i have this will take some getting used too. This actually contours to your body shape, not moulds so you dont stick to the mattress, this adapts so when you roll over, it goes with you and unlike memory foam the minute you get off the mattress you cannot see where you have slept as it springs back into shape immediately. I was quite impressed with that but then i am not sure how long in theory that will last.

According to the silentnight website:

""The mattress offers a unique combination of unparalleled breathability to prevent the body from overheating, perfect pressure relief preventing pressure points from building and optimal body support providing perfect spinal alignment and support throughout the night. The Geltex comfort layer is an innovative combination of an extremely elastic gel and air-permeable foam offering a unique combination of unparalleled breathability to prevent the body from overheating, perfect pressure relief preventing pressure points from building and optimal body support providing perfect spinal alignment and support throughout the night. The Geltex Affinity 1850 offers the ultimate sleep solution.""

To be honest i will agree, this has a comfort rating of 9/10, i slept like a baby, in fact i imagine this is what sleeping on white fluffy clouds feels like, it is pure bliss. My biggest problem was getting out of it.

My mother who is disabled with degenerative spinal disease and arthritis has been sleeping on it for the last 2 weeks whilst she visits me, and has told me that she has never slept in a better bed in her life and has been waking up with no backache for the 1st time in over 30 years. She thinks she is taking it home with her, but it is however staying very firmly in my 2nd bedroom :)

Another point to be aware of is i regularly steam cleaned my old mattress, at least 3 times a year, considering the technology in this i would doubt very much that you could clean it, that to me is a huge negative. They actually advise to never use any kind of cleaning products on the mattress at all as you can damage it.

The cost is astronomical, yep i said it, i am registered disabled and could never of afforded to buy this in my lifetime, and so i feel very blessed and lucky i got this for free, however you truly do get what you pay for. I personally feel that the cost is justified and i will tell you why.

The king size version of this is currently selling for 9 hundred squid, so if you assume it lasts no longer than 5 years , this works out to be the equivalent of 49 pence a day. Not a bad way of looking at the cost of something that you are going to sleep on every day for at least 6-10 hours, you spend more on a paper or a bar of chocolate.

Now the Geltex bit, this is only on 1 side of the mattress so you need to realise this is in fact a no turn mattress, however you are advised to rotate it every month, i however am planning on doing it every week as i change the bedding.

Another point to note, this is really really heavy, it weighs 51.5kg, as a disabled person, this is quite ridiculous and i could never manage to move it on my own, however to help you rotate it, silentnight have very kindly put 2 hand grips on the side of each mattress, hooray and thank you as this made it much easier for me to turn around.

Also mattress protectors, you are going to need one, don't buy this and think you wont need one because you will, an extra 20 squid paid could lengthen the use of this mattress quite considerably, i recommend this one The Bettersleep Company Brand Waterproof Quilted Microfibre Mattress Protectors King Size Bed- Hotel Quality Anti Dustmite, Waterproof, Absorbent, Breathable & Fully Fitted

Bed bases.

This mattress is top of the range and as such i believe it needs a top of the range base to go with it. I ummed and ahhed about this but in the end chose a pillowtop divan base, and i will tell you why.

Its flat, therefore it will give the absolute best support to your mattress.

Whilst wooden and metal beds are quite pretty to look at they do shorten the length time of the mattress because they have slats, therefore the mattress is not fully supported equally along the base. Wooden slats can also break and splinter, which in turn could damage your mattress. Same goes for metal slats, that in time can bend and break.
If you look at this logically, you could be putting say 20 stone of weight on top of something that will push through the gaps in the slats, causing the bed to push out of alignment. I chose a silentnight pillowtop divan base with 4 drawer storage but again this is down to personal taste, if you are going to put it on a wooden or metal bed, i would highly recommend getting a piece of mdf cut and place that on top of the slats 1st.

The guarantee...

The mattress has a 5 year guarantee, now my old one had a 10 year guarantee so this to me shows that silentnight doesn't have as much faith in this technology as some of their other past products. I have pulled this info off the silentnight website for you.

Official Info :
We're so confident that our beds and mattresses will provide you with a great night's sleep that we offer the security of the very best in terms of product guarantee.
Consequently, if you have purchased a mattress or divan set (a matching base and mattress), in the unlikely event that a problem should arise due to either faulty material or poor workmanship, during the first year from the date of purchase we promise to repair or replace (at our discretion) any part, or all of the product that is defective, completely free of charge. During the second year, replacements will be free of charge but will attract a contribution to the transport costs. In subsequent years, a sliding scale of charges based on usage plus transport costs comes into effect as follows:

2 to 3 years - 40% of current retail price

3 to 4 years - 60% of current retail price

4 to 5 years - 80% of current retail price

Any claim made under this guarantee must be made through the retailer from whom the bed was purchased. Please ensure you retain your receipt as proof of purchase. Any claim must be made no later than 5 years from the date of purchase. This guarantee applies to goods purchased from an authorised retailer of Silentnight products within the UK and Northern Ireland and, in all instances, applies to product only where it has been used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions. Please ensure that you read and comply with the Warranty Conditions (page 1) and Care Instructions (pages 3 and 4). This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
This guarantee applies to goods purchased from an authorised retailer of Silentnight products within the UK and Northern Ireland and, in all instances, applies to product only where it has been used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions. Please ensure that you read and comply with the Warranty Conditions and Care Instructions found in the Care Leaflet that was supplied with your mattress. This Guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

.............................................................................................................................

So that's the boring stuff out of the way.

Would i recommend it ??

Absolutely yes.

Is it a 5/5 star product ?

No, but then opinions are subjective to a users personal taste, there are things i would change hence my 4 star rating.

I do however believe it is worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable mattress, as long as you can deal with the practical and logistical issues!, 17 April 2014
Mr. N. Daws (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to say is that this is a VERY heavy mattress. I had to pay two men to manoeuvre it up the stairs and into the bedroom, and was afraid that the younger one in particular would do himself an injury.

Thankfully you don't have to turn this mattress over, just from end to end, which I might just about manage without having to call for reinforcements...

Another practical point to bear in mind is that this mattress is deeper than most, so on a normal divan base you will be quite high up. If you worry about falling out of bed, therefore, this may not be the mattress for you.

With all that said, the mattress is very comfortable to sleep on. It is described as Medium/Soft, which worried me a little, as I tend to prefer my mattresses on the firm side. It turned out not to be a problem, though. The material moulds itself to the shape of your body, giving even support from head to toe. I have been sleeping very well on it, and waking up without any bed-induced aches or pains.

Overall, as you might expect for the price, it is a very good, comfortable mattress, which I would have given five stars apart from the practical and logistical issues mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its like sleeping on a cloud, 5 Sept. 2014
Its like sleeping on a cloud, had it a few weeks now and the only problem is getting out of it in the morning.

Delivery on the other hand was a pain, the guys told me they weren't allowed to bend it to get it up the stairs and there was no way of getting it up the stairs without bending it, so they dumped it in the hall way and ran as fast as they could!!!

I managed to do it myself without bending it (even though I'm not a professional mattress deliverer) with a little help and a lot of complaining from her in doors. Did I mention it weighs a ton, well 56kg which is probably why the delivery guys took one look at it and left it for me to do.

Only other thing to note is it is pretty deep compared to a normal mattress so I would suggest deep, unfitted sheet, doubt standard fitted ones would do the trick.

Excellent mattress, really poor delivery guys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mattress!!, 6 Aug. 2014
We've had this mattress for nearly a week and it is extremely comfortable. We experienced no problems getting used to it and there was no smell from it, as experienced by a previous reviewer. We opened the windows and aired it before use as advised by the manufacturer. It is a thick mattress so we've used a flat sheet rather than a fitted one on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for relieving my lower back pain, 11 Aug. 2014
Amazingly comfortable mattress!!

Have had middle/lower back pain for the past 2 years, which has recently resulted in me having to withdraw from an upcoming marathon as I've had to halt my training. Eventually decided to upgrade my mattress to see if this would help, and bought this Geltex mattress after reading reviews on Amazon. So glad I did!

After the first 3 nights I can finally feel my back relaxing, and will back in running training ASAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep Deeply, 20 April 2014
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Silentnight indulgence mattress is well named because sleeping on it, as I have been for nearly a year now is just pure bliss. I was worried that medium/soft might equate to "too soft" but somehow this mattress manages to pull off being easy to sink into at the end of a hard day with feeling supportive on your limbs - it really feels like it moulds to your body. I really like the feel of memory foam - the gel promises to stop overheating and I've found this the case for me and I had no issues in Summer..

Fit wise the king I have is perfect for my existing low divan King Bed - the slats are about 24cm clear of the floor - but some careful measuring would be useful if not using this with the Silentnight divan (like me), as the mattress at 33cm deep is substantially deeper than the norm. With a low base it's great, although I have found that standard sheets are not the best fit - you can buy special deep fitted sheets on the High Street or from the manufacturer - my previous mattress protector fits fine but deeper sheets have definitely been a worthwhile additional purchase.

When delivered I was really relieved when Amazon's delivery men carried this to the upstairs room of my choice as, at 50 kilos or it's quite heavy. I was also pleased to find that constant turning is not a necessity with this mattress, it just needs rotating top to toe every now and then. I did find that the mattress needed a little bit of airing when first unpackaged but what seems at first like an alarming strong new upholstery smell soon dissipates, just as the instructions promised. I discovered also that it did take a couple of nights to get used to the mattress - this replaced a woefully ageing mattress so maybe this was to be expected. One thing to note is that, like many of the mattresses I've seen in shops when in search of the perfect one, this has a pitted top - by my measurements those dimples are about 3cm deep and 30cm or so apart. I found this strange at first but you can't feel them when lying in bed and it didn't take me long to wish I'd been sleeping on something this good for years.

You really feel like this is a quality item through and through, the pillow top and everything is well stitched and finished and I've no doubt that it will last a fair few years (as per the description there is a guarantee should there be issues). I think that a good mattress is really worth having, given the amount of time you are likely to spend on it - and this, for me, is really a great mattress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality item, rubbish delivery service, 22 Aug. 2014
G Nieweglowski (UK) - See all my reviews
Having read the reviews on Amazon, I was actually surprised how firm this mattress is. It turned out substantially firmer than my previous Sealy Sotheby 1600 (allegedly "medium firm"). But that's great, one of the reasons for replacing the Sealy was that I found it too soft at times.
The Indulgence 1850 itself is what you'd expect -- a solid "no-turn" mattress in a quite attractive package, refreshingly departing from the typical bland all-whites (of course the looks don't matter once you cover it up with sheets).
Quality of stitching and finish is very good, and priced at £500-600 it's certainly a very, very good choice.
When toss and turn the Geltex padding seems to recover much quicker than memory foam (and perhaps that's part of why I experience it as "firmer").
The mattress gets me a good night's sleep every time, no more aches. Feels "soft enough" without getting ridiculous, and is definitely supporting. All in all a quality item.

But my purchase was marred by Amazon's choice of delivery company. The mattress was delivered by ArrowXL (another alias adopted by Yodel/HDNL), and the two delivery men refused to carry it upstairs (said "we don't do that" when asked).
What's the point of a 2-man delivery then?

I see other reviewers had more luck in that respect, but apparently the service you get depends on the mood of your local ArrowXL/Yodel crew. Shame on you Amazon. I imagine Yodel are the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for and I'd gladly pay extra for a proper delivery service if only you'd give me the choice. Anything but ArrowXL/Yodel/HDNL/whatever name they brand themselves this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mattress is perfect. It is without doubt the most comfortable mattress ..., 2 Jan. 2015
The mattress is perfect. It is without doubt the most comfortable mattress I have ever owned. When family members have stayed, I have loaned them my bed to get their view and they all agree it gave them a good and comfortable nights sleep.

The delivery was several hours late (it was shortly before Christmas), but it did arrive on the day they said it would which was important for me and the delivery guys were happy to carry it upstairs to the bedroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for comfort, 14 Mar. 2015
K. Harvey (UK) - See all my reviews
Mattress is very deep and extremely comfortable. You will find that standard fitted sheets are not big enough.

I contacted Amazon prior to ordering this as I was concerned about reviews of the delivery service but in the end it was a painless process. The delivery date was arranged for a day that suited me and the drivers took the mattress upstairs (although they did grumble a bit!)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely and comfortable., 5 Jan. 2015
So far, lovely and comfortable.

Silentnight King Geltex Indulgence 1850 Mattress