5.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction meets the Roman Empire
Published 8 months ago by olmangee

Published 5 months ago by T. J. Sowerbutts

5.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction meets the Roman Empire, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
When I first looked at this book I thought it would be a load of rubbish. I particularly like Roman historical novels, but the thought of a boy accidentally falling from present day into Roman times seemed so far fetched that it wouldn't be worth reading. However, having now read the novel I'm converted. This is apparently a first novel, which I find astonishing. A truly excellent read, although I did find the opening chapters a little slow, but later once Tony was transported to the Roman era I found fascinating. I was particularly interested to learn that Bassus and many of the other characters actually existed. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good story, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
Once I started reading this story I could not stop until I had finished it enjoyed it very much more please

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read., 25 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
I have always enjoyed reading books about the Roman period, both fact and fiction. This excellent book is slightly different in that it starts in the present time with a story of child abuse and murder. The main child, a thirteen year old boy, Tony, then travels to the Roman period on the Rhine near Cologne where he meets Bassus. Bassus helps him to overcome his past problems and becomes to be a sort of parent for Tony. A great deal happens here before Tony returns to the present. I cannot say anymore without ruining your read.

The author obviously understands the Roman period very well and also the issues around abusive parents, The merging of these two issues/events is very well done. The best book I have read for some time. The book is well written. Well done Annette.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing novel and compelling read....., 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
My difficulty is to find a way of expressing how impressed I am with "Bassus".

The concept is brilliant and very original. The plot is cleverly devised and most creative. The way the story unfolds is superbly revealed. The reader is drawn in right from the beginning. The pace and dramatic tension is absorbing throughout. It is written in such a compelling way that one rushes to turn to the next page to see what is going to happen; at times desperate to intervene and assist but helpless to do so. The storytelling is totally engrossing and very vivid.

I cannot congratulate Annette Eisenmann too highly for this debut novel which is a fantastic achievement.

I am already waiting for the next volume.

3.0 out of 5 stars Germany in the Roman Empire but with a bit of time travel to boot, 17 Dec. 2014
T. J. Sowerbutts (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
Being a reader of historical fiction I read the outline of this book & at first though I would give it a miss but then changed my mind. It was quite a good read with well researched storyline but I have to say I have read one or two novels about time travel to the Roman period & have found them to be so far fetched to be really unbelievable. However, the time travel part was kept to a very minimum & whilst it was still far fetched it wasn't to the extent as to spoil the read for me. If you are prepared to accept the concept of time travel but then have the main characters actually immerse themselves in life as it was being lived then this book actually becomes quite enjoyable. So, even the purists why not give it a go you could very well be glad that you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars The knowledge of the author shines through in the fine detail about Roman Military history, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
Bassus –A well travelled mixed up lad.

The knowledge of the author shines through in the fine detail about Roman Military history. The tale is an interesting one and an enjoyable read mixing the different sub genres of historical and time travel – which is a personal interest and focus of mine.
There are issues with the translation and editing to English which could be addressed though in general it is a well written novel. The themes of bad parenting and good parenting are clear and the characters are well drawn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tale, enjoyed the story, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
An interesting story which brought to life the period in which it was written. Easy to read despite the odd sentence not being perfect English, so don't be put off by that. Eisenmann writes with power and energy and brings the characters to life well. At the price it's a must read if you are commuting every day like me.
Well done.
Francis Mulhern
Author - Camillus, dictator of Rome series

4.0 out of 5 stars I particularly liked the way the author described the feelings of a ..., 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
Although time travel is not a new thing in literature this book was slightly different and tackled the subject very well. I particularly liked the way the author described the feelings of a 13 year old boy dealing with a tumultuous upheaval in his life.Well done Annette Eisenmann. Unfortunately some of the meaning of the text was occasionaly lost in translation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Different to get your teeth in., 7 July 2014
Mr. Ray. Brown (Arbroath Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this as a little aside from the heavy weight genre's that I usually follow, considering it is written for the Teenage market, I thoroughly enjoyed it, It is breath of fresh air simple yet compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual book, 27 Jun. 2014
Mr. T. Currie "gurteen" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bassus (Kindle Edition)
I could not put this book down enjoyed it from start to finish

Bassus