5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant....But...
Arch Stanton's review on here is excellent. He manages to say everything I would like to say and so much more eloquently; so I'm going to keep my review very brief.

This is a brilliant score. BUT..my only complaint is that it's too action oriented. I would have liked a few more gentle moments - if only so I could have time to breathe. Personally, I preferred...
Published 7 months ago by Pantheon

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first
A more enjoyable listen than the first score. First CD has the stronger moments, especially the spider sequence and barrels. Still over scored at times.
Published 6 months ago by Good Guy Jas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice score, brilliant song, 8 Jan 2014
Max V. (Noord-Holland, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Good music, nice mix of drama, mystique, action en suspense. The music works very well in the films, but most of it is also enjoyable to listen to separately. A particular highlight of course is "I see fire" by Ed Sheeran. Very simple song, but so very beautiful, there is a reason it became popular so quickly! Although this song on it's own almost makes it worth a purchase, it's still a shame it's not available as a separate download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jan 2014
I listen this in my car. It is amazing, sound from CD better than mp3 from flash card, I pre-ordered it in November and received in January.
Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug (Special Edition) [+digital booklet] (MP3 Download)
Amazing quality and sound!
Still working out how to download digital booklet onto my mobile, slightly confusing since it won't appear in my library but probably only works on a newer version or PC... but overall very nice music from Howard Shore once again, can't wait for 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the saga, 26 Dec 2013
D. W. Horder "Dave H" (Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
As to be expected this album is excellent. I never rated Howard Shore until he did the Lord of the Rings but now am a firm fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 21 Dec 2013
beautifully composed by Howard Shore
great to get your mind back in middle earth
a must buy for any hobbit-fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Middle Earth, 16 Dec 2013
Ride the Metro and be transported to the mines of Erebor when you disappear underground...moody,intense voluptuous soaring music prose and poetry; no one but Howard Shore can do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves with listening, 15 Dec 2013
Like a couple of other reviewers, I initially was a little taken aback with this latest release, however after seeing the movie and hearing the tracks in their intended context, I am enjoying it more and more. There isn't an easily identifiable new main theme as there was with the Lonely Mountain theme in An Unexpected Journey, and indeed, the absence of that theme in what is the "ongoing story" does seem a little odd, however there are three motifs that are emerging upon successive listenings that define this movie, in my mind. These are the chase music heard in Barrels out of Bond, the choral theme in Kingsfoil and the theme for Laketown.
The vocal contribution by Ed Sheeran is quite good, though maybe not as memorable as Neil Finn's track. I also strikes me as a little odd that the words to the prophecy recited by Bard in the movie itself weren't wrapped up into the vocal tracks more, though maybe this will come in There and Back Again. Having said that, I imagine the vocal track for that will be based upon "The road goes ever on and on".
So overall, like the movie itself, this album brings a new twist on the overall story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I buy 'I See Fire' by itself?, 5 Jan 2014
Mrs. J. E. Edkins (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I saw The Desolation Of Smaug and was immediately struck by the song 'I See Fire' by Ed Sheeran. So I went into Amazon to download it. I can't. I need to buy the whole album of the film. I don't WANT to buy the whole album...

Then I found out that this song is in the British Charts (Radio 1). So I checked, and yes - it is available on iTunes. So WHY isn't it available in Amazon? This is the first time that I have found it a disadvantage to use Amazon instead of iTunes. I think this is very stupid of Amazon. It is going to lose customers to iTunes if it starts blocking songs in this way.

It can't be a problem with the Hobbit film people, as you can download other single tracks from the album. 'I See Fire' is the only blocked single. And they aren't blocking the best song to encourage people to buy the whole album, because we can buy it on iTunes. It isn't a problem with Ed Sheeran either, as there are plenty of his singles available for download.

So what is going on?

4.0 out of 5 stars christmas requested, 12 Dec 2013
chosen as a Christmas present Daughter has already heard the original music for the first film and wanted this one also

1.0 out of 5 stars I See Fire, 15 Dec 2013
I have given the album one star rating, but would give the song "I See Fire" 5 out of 5. Yet again the record/film company have denied the public the opportunity to buy that song, by making it an Album Only track (ie: If you want it you have to fork out 9.99p and get the rest of the music from the album, all the other tracks from the film are available to purchase individually, so why not "I See Fire".... it is head and shoulders above all the other tracks. Typical Record/Film company stroke, bleed the customers dry. No wonder people turn to illegal downloads when the record/film companies pull this kind of tight wad stunt.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›