Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 7 March 2014
Set in the northern Russian port of Murmansk in 2000, this is a story of the after effects of the decline of the Soviet navy. Murmansk is now home to the Northern fleet of the Russian navy, and has become a dumping ground of Soviet naval hardware no longer in use, including the radioactive waste products from all the ship reactors from the Cold War days. Some young children playing in the woods are contaminated and are seriously ill. What follows is the investigation by a local hospital doctor and friends to find and clear the waste responsible, unaware they are dragging themselves deeper and deeper into the world of illegal arms dealers, terrorists and local mafia. The author Harry Ledowsky cleverly builds up the tension page by page revealing clever twists and turns of this very good thriller. He also uses this story line to graphically describe the outfall from the breakup of the Soviet Union, highlighting how the the military hardware and even the waste is up for sale to highest bidder fuelling betrayal and corruption.
on 5 October 2014
I hadn't read any specific reviews before downloading this to my Kindle, so wasn't sure what to expect. I had also bought a number of war-related books featuring submarines - maybe I thought this would be in the same vein - NO IT ISN'T! I was hooked from the beginning, and there were twists and turns on the way - and some quite violent moments, but well written. It has factual elements in it (the loss of the Kursk) the cross-linking of modern day terrorism (Al-Qaeda) and a lot of human/family relationships. The ending has an element of irony - and I think satisfaction.

One minor problem - and I still give it 5 stars - was for me the slight confusion with the number of Russian names - this might not confuse the brighter younger reader, and it still didn't spoil the story for me.
on 7 September 2014
I enjoyed this book immensely, it is well researched & thought out, there is also little doubt that something like the scenario in the story could happen, after all, children's curiosity is insatiable!
on 22 June 2014
Very different story to the norm. Interesting topic providing a glimpse in to life in Russia. The story flows nicely from high tension and drama to the general domestic life that still continues even when there are gun battles and torture happening just round the corner.
on 1 May 2014
Like a modern Alistair McLean.
The story is set in Russia (a few years ago) therefore I found some of the names difficult. However, there was no forgetting the characters, who were well described and believable. Excellent book that possibly deserved 5 stars.
on 5 May 2014
This is the first time I have read anything by this author and whilst the stories pace was very very good there were a few factual holes in the story sadly spoiling it for me. Overall an ok read....
on 17 April 2014
started well and in a very believable manner.
once the sub returned to port the pace picked up and never let up.
good use of fact and fiction and insight into thinking of our agencies
on 7 July 2014
This just pulls you along. The story is told well and it is a great book. Top job. Can't wait for the next one of your books.
Recommend this for military, thrillers.
on 17 June 2014
I'm afraid that I sussed out the end quite quickly but that is not to say that the story is obvious all the way through. Would definitely read this author again.
on 3 May 2014
I found this book a great read once I started it I could not put it down first book I have read that is set in Russia,great plot strong characters a good read