on 18 December 2013
I don't know as much as I should about publishing and promoting, which is why I do the research, but I do get the feeling these guys looked at traditional publishing and promoting, said nah, and, well, re-wrote the book. I do most of my reading on the train and have been getting odd looks from fellow passengers as I gasp and boggle and my eyes pop (I probably hardly need to add that I didn't know of them or their podcast previously, or the reaction wouldn't have been so intense?)(I did say I'm on the learning trail)

This is stupendous. Can I follow through with everything I learned? I am sure as hell going to try because it is fresh, exciting, effective and makes sense. If I can do it, I will come back and push the rating up to 5 stars. I bought the book because it was recommended by some very serious writer talent, and it may be the best buy I ever made. Watch this space.
on 4 December 2013
Sean and Johnny (and Dave) host a weekly podcast on self publishing. They share what they know, get people on to help them with stuff they don't know (but want to learn), and they are very clear that the way to make a living writing fiction is to write the best book you can, and then write another...and another...and another.

This book is a continuation of all they teach and talk about on the Self Publishing Podcast. If you're getting into self publishing - or have been working at it for a while - this should go alongside David Gaugran's books and Joanna Penn's book in the 'self publishing' shelf of your virtual library on your Kindle.

'Nuff said.
on 8 May 2014
I have written several non fiction books but I have been an aspiring fiction author for over 30 years, I've even started writing books and binned them after 40,000 words or so as the task just seemed too daunting. After reading this book I really got fired up to write again and am already up to 10,000 words on my first serialized fiction novel.

What made the difference?

For one, the guys Johnny B Truant, Sean Platt and David Wright all write serialized novels i.e. They write a six or nine book series of books, each one self contained, so they're really novellas. They also write full length novels, but to me writing serialized novels just made so much sense and gave me that feeling of 'I can do this' instead of thinking 'Jeez, 120,000 words is just too much'.

The section on story beats really made it for me though. Again it was like an 'a-ha' moment and really pushed the book I'm writing forward. It sounds like a really simple idea but truly it is a really powerful idea.

They also go into the marketing of your book which every author should know about, but they do it in such a way that it's genuine heart marketing: reaching your fans in a genuine and honest way.

The business of writing is also covered which is just great.

I said this was one of four resources you need, here are all four:

1. This book
2. Stephen King's 'On Writing' book - I have read this 5 times over the last few years.
3. Scrivener (Amazing must have tool for all writers)
4. The Self Publishing Podcast (A video and audio podcast by the guys who wrote this book. It is funny, smart and just bloody amazing with some fantastic information for indie authors)

If you're into writing and willing to put in the work required this book and the resources above will definitely get you there.
on 22 March 2014
I have bought many books/course about succeeding in the ebook market - this is, by far, the very best of them. In fact, this is the only book that you need. The authors tell you exactly what to do and how to do it - it doesn't involve spending hours on keyword research or social media! Thank goodness. They give examples throughout the book about how they've achieved success. You can check their books, and many reviews, to confirm their success. I have now changed my methods on how to proceed with my publishing based on the information in this book. I feel optimistic that I will succeed! This book is over 100,000 words and the authors give tremendous value, much more than I was expecting. Please consider buying this book before looking at any others in the market - you'll be so glad you did.
on 8 December 2013
Refreshingly free of 'magic formulas' and grand empty promises, Write, Publish, Repeat is an excellent and inspiring guide to making an honest success of self-publishing.

The authors are straight and upfront - being as successful as they are will take time, work and conviction. But their advice is not only solid and extensive, but hugely inspiring.

Recommended for any aspiring or fledgling indie publisher looking for an honest and ethical way to open the door to the benefits self publishing can offer.
on 21 March 2014
Really helpful, and I suspect a "go to" book many times in the future, informational book for those hoping to self-publish for the first time, or looking to do it quicker, better and with more results in the future.

It's got the same voice as the Self Publishing Podcasts, which are brought to us by the tremendous trio of Sean, Johhny and Dave.

There are also additional, and very helpful input, from people like Joanna Penn and Lexi Maxxwell.

For motivation alone you should read this book.
on 5 January 2014
I've not read any of their fiction nor listened to their podcast, but I bought this on the strength of the sample chapters after it came up as a "You might also be interested in..."
In other words, you don't have to be one of their existing readers/fans to benefit from this book. Clearly written, packed full of useful, honest advice honed from experience and a compelling read in itself, this book is a must-have for anyone thinking of trying self-publishing.
on 7 January 2014
The basic idea in this book is excellent and makes marketing sense. However the authors write at boring length about everything and anything. A good editor could easily give this book an extra star or two
on 3 February 2015
I absolutely loved it! I'm a long time listener of the SPP (Self Publishing Podcast, you can search for it on YouTube/iTunes/Stitcher) and I picked a copy of 'Write. Publish. Repeat.' as soon as I possibly could. And I wasn't disappointed.

My favourite part is the book's tone. It's written in the same style as their fiction - fun, compelling and not-holding-back on the four letter words.

I've re-read it a couple of times recently, after moving into the fiction realm. The guys at Sterling and Stone (the 'mother company' that has founded their various imprints) are experts storytellers - having written one-and-a-half million words in 2013 alone.

The only negative comment that I have is the paper that the book is printed on - I'm not all that keen on the colour. However, that isn't really their fault, and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book.
on 31 January 2014
I had high hopes for this book and it started strongly. Buried amongst the detail are several nuggets of information. Unfortunately, the content is repeated many, many times. I could edit this book myself down to around 10,000 words of wisdom. The writers clearly know their stuff but I just cant help but think they are holding back. The last chapter is a good example of this. Read the title. Understand the title. You dont need to buy the book.