on 5 October 2015
The key message is in the title.
There is some very practical advice in here for anyone who wants to make a living as a self-published writer.
I like the fact it is written by people who do exactly that and so they give us details of how they do it and things that do and don't work based on real experience.
May people considering buying this will be familiar with much of the content (as I was) but I'm sure everyone will find something useful in here (as I did).
Personally, I was very interested in the fact that they are going against some popular views, and publishing in many genres.
As a reader, I read many many genres and writing styles so it makes sense to me that it should be OK to do this.
I was also impressed that they are not trying to sell a get rich quick scheme.
They talk about writing as a business - you can be successful if you work hard. It all makes sense to me.
If you can write well and want to make writing your business this book is perfect.
on 8 December 2013
As a big fan of the Self Publishing Podcast I've been anticipating this book for weeks and now that it's finally here it more than lives up to its promise. If you write fiction and you want to make money out of it then you need to buy this book. The ebook is great but I will be ordering the paperback as well so I can make notes and highlights.
on 31 December 2013
You are like me. You want to be a better writer. You have hit upon this page through some serendipitous alignment of planetary forces and marketing manipulation. You are looking at the readers' reviews to see if this product might be the one thing that you really need. It costs less than a large coffee in some high street caffeine dealership, but you are agonising over whether this book is worth it.

It is.

It's a great read with plenty of advice for writers. It makes a very convincing argument for independent publishing and will act as a useful source of inspiration for getting on your way. It doesn't promise the Pulitzer, but it will introduce you to a whole world of book writing that you may have been unaware of. And it's well written too.

Think of it as a large coffee that not only tastes great, but leads to a chance meeting with the person who then goes on to change your life while introducing you to all of hs/her friends. At no extra cost.
on 21 December 2013
I'm one of those people who has wanted to be a published fiction writer most of her whole adult life but, despite occasional kicks up the behind, has never actually done anything about it. At the time of writing I have started several books but completed zero.

Thanks to the inspiration and practical advice in this book, all that is about to change. Whether you're unpublished but super keen or have several books under your belt that just don't seem to be selling, this book can help. I read it cover to cover on the kindle and then loved it so much, I bought myself a paperback copy (lots to refer back to moving forward) and the only caveat I would add is that this isn't the magic bullet.

Only you can do the work. The clue is in the title of course but I feel compelled to spell it out, just in case ... don't buy this book if you won't do the work. You'll be wasting your money!

Otherwise, buy it. Read it all. And then write, publish and repeat.
on 20 March 2014
As an indie author with three books already under my belt, I know how hard the whole process is. There is no “silver bullet” for success, only as Jonny and Sean say, a lot of hard work; though the trick is to work smarter and not harder. ‘How to’ books like this are useful as a way of assessing your actives – writing and selling – against others experiences. They provide an opportunity to find new / better ways of doing things; so working smarter.
Packed with information, hints, tips and examples there is plenty to dwell on and take in. Written in a chatty style, for me, this approach generates too much verbiage over substance. I’d take out the waffle and reduce the book by a third. This wouldn’t diminish its impact or usefulness – quite the opposite. That said, the best advice I took from this book is “…writing more is … the best way to find readers, and writing more is … the best way to turn some of those readers into fans.” And fans are the key to your success.
on 18 December 2013
I've only listened to the authors' podcast a few times. This book has the same voice as the podcast (no-nonsense, tell it like it is, say what you mean) but is incredibly focused. The writing is fantastic and the advice is not just practical, but it also reminds you that if you want to have some sort of income from your books (and I am hoping they will be my pension!) you have to write and write and write - and sweat the stuff at the keyboard.

I'm an author that "gender hops" and reading this book has given me lots of ideas on how to build an audience in spite of that.

What makes the book strong is not only the product and platform recommendations (which will change with time) but how they make the case for the need to write, publish and repeat.

It's a great book and a contrasting one to APE - read both and you'll never need to read anything about self-publishing again! (And that means you will have to sit down and write!)
on 30 December 2013
If you are genuinely attempting to carve out a career as an indie author, then you will definitely find info here that will help you on your way. The style is conversational and enjoyable to read but the points are valid and made with serious intent.

If you know the Self-Publishing Podcast then you'll be familiar with the authors' angle but it isn't necessary to be a podcast fan to understand the book. The book works as a continuous read or as a quick reference guide.

It is not, and does not pretend to be, a 'get rich quick' book or a 'self-publishing for dummies' title. Instead, this is an intelligent insight into the mindset needed to kickstart and maintain a writing career. It will help you to formulate your own strategies and tactics and to understand the difference between the two.

Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
on 28 May 2014
I have both the kindle and audio version of this book and it is packed full of information on the good and bad of being a writer, and in particular a self publishing writer. It also contains a lot of information on how to become a successful writer with no flannel about there being a quick and easy way to do it. They are quite clear - it required a lot of hard work, time and patience. For someone taking my first tentative steps into self publishing it has been an invaluable resource for me. The book itself is a gem but the audio version narrated brilliantly by Simon Whistler is superb. Sean and Johnny have filled this book with their own experiences and the knowledge they have gained through their writing journey. They are prolific writers and self publishers so they know their stuff. I would recommend this book to any writer who is self publishing or looking to.
on 7 March 2014
What can I say? This book lead me to buy and read Fat Vampire, which I also loved.

This book is incredible. Not only does it give you clear, easy to understand guidelines to THEIR methods, but it explains why their methods worked for them in each step. Not everybody will be able to work the way these three men do, of course not, but the tips and strategies they describe can be modified and fiddled to suit your own capabilities.

More than that, this book inspired me to keep churning it out. The title said it all, and to be honest, it's the most sound piece of advice anybody can give a self publishing author. You'll find it damn hard to sell one book. Selling five books will be easier. Selling ten will be easier still. If you have a catalogue of twenty+ books, you're setting yourself up for success, whether you believe it or not.
Thanks guys.
on 17 December 2013
I have been listening to these crazy three guys on their "Self Publishing Podcast" since they started over a year ago. I love their advice, tips and banter. Although they swing off on tangents on the podcast it is highly entertaining and packed full of advice. I bought the book initially to thank them for the weekly podcast, and to show my support. I had expected the book to be good but it is not good at all - it is awesome. They have distilled down and structured all the advice, tips and challenges into an easy to read and detailed guide on the topic. It goes way beyond the podcast and is an even more valuable guide to the topic. Thanks guys for the podcast - but thanks even more for the book. Even if you find the podcast a bit too "blokey" and "close to the bone" sometimes forget all of that and take a look at the book. Brilliant.