5.0 out of 5 stars NO BS Self Publishing Advice
Sean and Johnny (and Dave) host a weekly podcast on self publishing. They share what they know, get people on to help them with stuff they don't know (but want to learn), and they are very clear that the way to make a living writing fiction is to write the best book you can, and then write another...and another...and another.

This book is a continuation of all...
Published 15 months ago by Paul Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for aspiring self publishers of literary fiction...
The narration is simple and direct although the lengthy introduction is self- indulgent and unnecessary. However , the more I read about self-publishing, the less I'm convinced it's for anything other than genre writers - and that's not snobbery....

Published 11 months ago by john

5.0 out of 5 stars NO BS Self Publishing Advice, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success) (The Smarter Artist Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This book is a continuation of all they teach and talk about on the Self Publishing Podcast. If you're getting into self publishing - or have been working at it for a while - this should go alongside David Gaugran's books and Joanna Penn's book in the 'self publishing' shelf of your virtual library on your Kindle.

'Nuff said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colour me mind-boggled, 18 Dec. 2013
I don't know as much as I should about publishing and promoting, which is why I do the research, but I do get the feeling these guys looked at traditional publishing and promoting, said nah, and, well, re-wrote the book. I do most of my reading on the train and have been getting odd looks from fellow passengers as I gasp and boggle and my eyes pop (I probably hardly need to add that I didn't know of them or their podcast previously, or the reaction wouldn't have been so intense?)(I did say I'm on the learning trail)

This is stupendous. Can I follow through with everything I learned? I am sure as hell going to try because it is fresh, exciting, effective and makes sense. If I can do it, I will come back and push the rating up to 5 stars. I bought the book because it was recommended by some very serious writer talent, and it may be the best buy I ever made. Watch this space.

5.0 out of 5 stars The authors have overdelivered, 22 Mar. 2014
G. Rogerson (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I have bought many books/course about succeeding in the ebook market - this is, by far, the very best of them. In fact, this is the only book that you need. The authors tell you exactly what to do and how to do it - it doesn't involve spending hours on keyword research or social media! Thank goodness. They give examples throughout the book about how they've achieved success. You can check their books, and many reviews, to confirm their success. I have now changed my methods on how to proceed with my publishing based on the information in this book. I feel optimistic that I will succeed! This book is over 100,000 words and the authors give tremendous value, much more than I was expecting. Please consider buying this book before looking at any others in the market - you'll be so glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of only 4 Resources You'll Ever Need to Write and Self Publish, 8 May 2014
Steven Aitchison "Steven Aitchison" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I have written several non fiction books but I have been an aspiring fiction author for over 30 years, I've even started writing books and binned them after 40,000 words or so as the task just seemed too daunting. After reading this book I really got fired up to write again and am already up to 10,000 words on my first serialized fiction novel.

What made the difference?

For one, the guys Johnny B Truant, Sean Platt and David Wright all write serialized novels i.e. They write a six or nine book series of books, each one self contained, so they're really novellas. They also write full length novels, but to me writing serialized novels just made so much sense and gave me that feeling of 'I can do this' instead of thinking 'Jeez, 120,000 words is just too much'.

The section on story beats really made it for me though. Again it was like an 'a-ha' moment and really pushed the book I'm writing forward. It sounds like a really simple idea but truly it is a really powerful idea.

They also go into the marketing of your book which every author should know about, but they do it in such a way that it's genuine heart marketing: reaching your fans in a genuine and honest way.

The business of writing is also covered which is just great.

I said this was one of four resources you need, here are all four:

1. This book
2. Stephen King's 'On Writing' book - I have read this 5 times over the last few years.
3. Scrivener (Amazing must have tool for all writers)
4. The Self Publishing Podcast (A video and audio podcast by the guys who wrote this book. It is funny, smart and just bloody amazing with some fantastic information for indie authors)

If you're into writing and willing to put in the work required this book and the resources above will definitely get you there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for aspiring self publishers of literary fiction..., 5 April 2014

If the paradigm is ' write, publish, repeat' and these guys talk about 'cranking out a book a week' ( Holy Moses! Didn't Jimmy Joyce spend an entire day on a sentence?) and writing 10 books to make a significant impact - athen it seems obvious - Vladimir Nabokov wrote 9 novels in 33 years

5.0 out of 5 stars Read. Work. Believe., 8 Dec. 2013
Refreshingly free of 'magic formulas' and grand empty promises, Write, Publish, Repeat is an excellent and inspiring guide to making an honest success of self-publishing.

The authors are straight and upfront - being as successful as they are will take time, work and conviction. But their advice is not only solid and extensive, but hugely inspiring.

Recommended for any aspiring or fledgling indie publisher looking for an honest and ethical way to open the door to the benefits self publishing can offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen, Remember, Do, 21 Mar. 2014
Really helpful, and I suspect a "go to" book many times in the future, informational book for those hoping to self-publish for the first time, or looking to do it quicker, better and with more results in the future.

It's got the same voice as the Self Publishing Podcasts, which are brought to us by the tremendous trio of Sean, Johhny and Dave.

There are also additional, and very helpful input, from people like Joanna Penn and Lexi Maxxwell.

For motivation alone you should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and honest advice, 5 Jan. 2014
I've not read any of their fiction nor listened to their podcast, but I bought this on the strength of the sample chapters after it came up as a "You might also be interested in..."
In other words, you don't have to be one of their existing readers/fans to benefit from this book. Clearly written, packed full of useful, honest advice honed from experience and a compelling read in itself, this book is a must-have for anyone thinking of trying self-publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read only one book on writing - make it this one., 27 Jan. 2015
If you want to write a book, are interested in self-publishing and are willing to work hard and consistently - then if you read no other book on writing - please, please read this one. Sean, Dave and Johnny host a weekly podcast - Self-Publishing Podcast (available on iTunes and YouTube) - I stumbled across it about 5 months ago and wished with all my heart I'd found it 2 years ago when I started my journey. They are an inspiration and they have a child-like joy in writing that is totally contagious. This book is a distillation of the knowledge they share in the podcast and have learnt on their self-publishing adventures.

They don't promise a pot of gold, fame and fortune but they show you how to approach writing as a business whilst still maintaining the all the joy of the art. It's a brilliant, inspiring and informative read and a must have for the library of any author or aspiring writer.

They've also recently written another book 'Fiction Unboxed' in which they detailed the journey they took writing a book in 30 days (from zero idea to publication) in front of an audience of more than a 1,000. It’s another great read and a real inspiration for the non-superhuman authors like myself. Wow can those boys produce word count – they’re machines.

Anyway the book’s great and well worth getting and if you haven’t yet started watching their Self-Publishing Podcast, then what are you doing with your nights? I watch an episode or two every night and have reached Episode 87 (filmed in Dec 2013) so I still have another 52 or so to go until I’m up-to-date. I’ve learnt more watching these podcasts than everywhere else combined – so check it out. You’ll thank me – I promise you (although be prepared for locker room language - in the podcasts not the books).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Been Able to Read This 20 Years Ago!, 4 Dec. 2014
I downloaded this book as part of a package of 3, offered for a very silly price, by which I mean, cheap, very cheap!

It’s the best few pence I’ve ever spent. I’d have happily paid a hundred times more. This is the first book in the package and it speaks to me. Oh, how it speaks to me. All the way through, as I read, I was saying (sometimes aloud, to the annoyance of my patient and wonderful wife) ‘Yes! Of course!’.

These two guys are on my wavelength. They understand what it’s like to be a pantster who refuses to be bound by genre. But they also understand that writers need to be disciplined and to have a business head to deal with writing in the modern world. I have long struggled with the concept and act of marketing and promotion. It is foreign to my nature. I am suspicious of salesmen and marketers, considering them a bunch of exploitation merchants with morals that would make a sewer rat look like a saint. What these authors do in this book is to debunk our preconceived ideas of marketing and promotion. They explain, in a friendly, chatty and frank style, the reality of writing and getting your words before the reading public.

They understand that the story choses the genre; a phrase I’ve used for years. They get that writers who see themselves as artists are okay to do that. But they also understand that we, the writers, the creators of stories, need to earn some income in order to continue with our craft. Starving in the garret is not necessary. Hiding your light under a bush is not helpful to your readers.

What these guys do, in an entertaining, informed, educational and inspiring way, is enable you, as an artist, to separate your creative self from your business self and start to actually sell you books, and to do so without compromising your ethics or your idea of yourself as a writer.

I do have a complaint about the book. It is this. It should have been written twenty years ago, when I first started writing seriously. It’s no good trying to excuse the lack or delay by complaining that self-publishing was all but non-existent then, or that digital publishing was no more than a scifi dream. If this book had been around then, I’d be a wealthy writer by now, with a string of bestsellers to my name. Give me time, and, armed with the advice in this book, I’ll become that writer.

So, I have to just say, ‘Thank You’ to Sean Platt and Johnny B. Truant for their insight, their openness, their extraordinary candour and their simple ability to express these vital lessons in words that sing to me. If you’re a writer who has struggled to get your name and work noticed, this is the book for you. If you have ever self-published and thought maybe your books could do better, this book is for you. If you’ve ever thought maybe you could write a book and publish it yourself, this book is for you. Buy it. You’ve missed out on the initial insanely cheap introductory offer, but if I were you, I’d pay ten times the current price. Read it. Follow the advice. I certainly will. I heartily recommend it to all struggling writers.