4.0 out of 5 stars Very Accessible
A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: by Mark Myers

Published 15 months ago by PFID

1.0 out of 5 stars Very amateurish, many mistakes.
This learning book come together with online exercises, which is great. Unfortunately there are many mistakes in those exercises. Author is actually proud to present on his website a list of dozens(!) of people who helped him to "fix the problems in the java-script code of his online exercises". That's not something I would expect from java-script guru really...
Published 8 months ago by Karel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Accessible, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: The new approach that uses technology to cut your effort in half (Kindle Edition)
A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: by Mark Myers

A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript is a good introduction to JavaScript and is full of useful knowledge. Mark Myers comes across as someone who really knows his subject and makes it easy to understand by beginners. The book could perhaps have included more reasons to learn Java compared to HTML for those completely new to it. There are a few criticisms that prevent it receiving a higher rating than 4 stars.
There are several pages at the start extolling the virtues of ebooks - does the reader really care? It doesn't have much to do with JavaScript, it just comes across as if the author is on a pet hobby-horse. Presumably the reader has already bought into the concept anyway if he's reading this as an ebook? In Chapter 2 I think it's potentially a bit confusing that the first example of a variable declaration is of a variable whose name is "name", it could lead to a misunderstanding of the syntax of the declaration statement - i.e. var name = "Mark"; could be interpreted wrongly as meaning that a variable's name is defined to be Mark. I would find it clearer to include a definition of the syntax of the statement, something like: [keyword "var"][space][name of variable][optional space][operator "="][optional space][value of variable][semi-colon] where in this case the value of the variable is the string literal "Mark". The end of Chapter 3 is missing, i.e. the bit that says if you specify a numeric literal or a variable with a numeric value in an alert statement then it gets converted to a string. Plus there are a couple of editing issues in Chapters 5 and 7.

Overall I can certainly recommend this book to a newcomer to JavaScript as being very accessible and containing much vital information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 7 May 2014
I have been learning web-development for a couple of months now, and it was time to start learning JavaScript after getting control of both HTML and CSS. I tried various video tutorials, and exercises on the web and while I made small progress, it was not easy and what I learnt was not embedding into my head.

I gave this book a try, and everything started to make sense, I was kicking myself at how easy JavaScript really was to learn if taught the right way, and it also made it fun to learn with the exercises helping so much. I could not recommended this book enough to any one starting out with learning JavaScript.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the format that all teaching books should use - so effective!, 29 July 2014
R Eckles "Stitch" (London) - See all my reviews
A superb way of learning a new language. I have been through a few books in my time for different programming languages and I have always struggled to retain the teaching and to put it into practice. This book does both so effectively. This IS the way to learn. I spend 10 minute reading a lesson on the train in the morning and then 20 - 30 minutes during my day putting what I've learnt into practice using the great online exercises.

Well done Mark Meyers - fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent publication supported by plenty of practical exercises, 27 April 2015
So far I’ve concentrated on learning the concepts of HTML and CSS. When looking at JavaScript I always found it a bit daunting and to be honest I couldn’t really make sense of the code snippets I used from the web and so I struggled to adapt them to my needs.

I have signed up to www.Lynda.com which I find a fantastic resource that really suits my learning style. However, this book is better!

Mark has really put a lot of effort into breaking the subject down into bite size concepts. He has spent a year writing 20 exercises for each topic (1,780 in all) and these give you the chance to practice what you’ve been told. There is some repetition but this helps to drive the message home and I find I remember what I did in previous topics rather than it making sense at the time and then seeming impossible again the next day.

I would really recommend this book to anyone who’s unfamiliar with JavaScript. For the cost of the book you get all his practical lessons for free and this seems to me to be really good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Feb. 2015
As a newbee to the world of coding and being of a more senior age I found this eBook to very very good. I have tried other books and although they give the details of the codes shown and an explanation of each one I found them to be a bit hard to grasp at first. The fact that this book breaks down individual code in 1 small chapter. Example a single chapter on the if statement, with other chapters on if...else, instead of other books which group them together. A small issue granted, but as the books title says, "A smarter way to LEARN....", these are valuable to the uninitiated. The fact that each chapter is accompanied by a question and answer session, which through its format instills the basics of the chapter topic, is very rewarding. Plus these can be repeated if you don't quite get it. As a book for the beginner, and those of senior years :-), it is fully recommended abd very much worth the cost

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way to learn., 4 Aug. 2014
The learning method provided here is outstanding. The short chapters coupled with the interactive online questions really kept things fresh. I found the online coding drills invaluable, I think all coding books should be delivered in a similar way.

Can't recommend this enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to learn - by a mile!, 1 Nov. 2014
This book and the interactive learning system that goes with it, is the best online teaching method I've ever come across. By a mile! Although I'm OK at HTML and CSS and using Textpattern CMS (all self-taught) to build many websites, I've always had a mental block when it comes to real programming and always gave up eventually. I've coped by copying and pasting code that I didn't really understand.

Finally, I found this book and it is so clear that it all makes sense. The interactive exercises are a MUST and really help the learning sink in deep. They test for proper understanding and reinforce what I learned in a way that cannot be done by reading alone. It's just like having a teacher in front of me giving me little tests that are tailored exactly right for my level of comprehension. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and theoretical all in one!!, 12 Sept. 2014
This is a great way to learn JavaScript, and I am thoroughly enjoying reading and practicing as i go along. I have been looking at ways to learn code, as I thought it would allow me to become more independent when looking at ways to runs things and problem solve.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of chapter exercises are really useful. For beginners this book is absoultely god send, 3 July 2014
This ebook is worth every penny. The end of chapter exercises are really useful. For beginners this book is absoultely god send. I recommend this book to all primary and secondary school students who are good at Scratch programming. My thanks to author.

5.0 out of 5 stars No better way to learn JavaScript!!!, 27 Dec. 2014
I had been learning JavaScript a little over a month when I came across this book I like the concept and idea of reading a chapter then doing exercises at the end of each breaking each piece of the language up and really drilling it in. I can honestly say I've learnt alot more from this book than any online tutorials I have previously done and it could be used as a great resource to aid those online tutorials and mix it in with them. My point here is if your a newbie and want to learn JavaScript or struggling to get to grips with the fundamentals of the language or simply looking to brush up on parts this is the book you need and for the price it's an absolute steal!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›