5.0 out of 5 stars Familiar but none the worse for that
I am an unashamed fan of Katie Fforde's light romance novels and was delighted when I was able to secure a free copy of this novella via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

This reads like a precis of a typical Katie Fforde novel and readers familiar with her works will enjoy themselves in ticking off the usual ingredients - grumpy older writer, pregnant dog,...
Published 7 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical Katie Fforde...
*Review copy granted in exchange for an honest review*

This novella is a typical Katie Fford really in that our leading lady - Daisy - is "comfortably middle class", quirky, kinda ditsy but generally likeable and our leading man - Rory - is gruff, rude, older than the leading lady and has a, hidden, soft squishy centre where his lady is concerned.

It...
Published 7 months ago by Nicci @ The BLC

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely feel good story couldn't put it down!!! Well worth giving it a go as with all Katie's books

5.0 out of 5 stars Short n spicy, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
A good read in one sitting....light hearted...you can almost guess what will happen if you know katie Fforde but a nice way to wile away a couple of hours curled up in front of the fire on a chilly December day!

3.0 out of 5 stars From Scotland with Love, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
It is a shame, I admit, that it was my first book by Katie Fforde, and not an actual book but a short story.
And my problem with short stories is that they are...short, if you know what I mean.

We are introduced to Daisy, a PR girl, who wants to make her job better and out of the blue appears on the steps of her publishing company's best - selling author with books for him to sign. As it happens in winter, there is a snow - storm and Daisy must stay with Rory, who - in my opinion - is not as terrible and moody as all think and let her stay without a word actually. No fight here, no battle, just stay and cook.
There is also Griselda, who is going to have puppies, and Rory has of course absolutely no idea how to be a midwife to the dog. The vet can't arrive because of the snow, so Daisy is the one who takes over the control. Well, Rory, don't judge a book by its cover:)
There are also some characters in background but they actually don't play a big role in the story. They are important, like Rory's ex - wife, but not so developed.

I am sure Katie Fforde is a wonderful author, I have read reviews of her books and I am for sure finally going to read her. This story was über - sweet, very predictable and very compact but I guess it is so with SHORT stories. They can't be longer:) Nevertheless, a cute, heart - warming read, although for me lacked chemistry between the main characters and was too rushed.

I received a copy of this book from publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 16 Dec 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
When Daisy decides to go on a spur of a moment trip to Scotland, to get some book plates signed by reclusive author Rory McAllan to prove herself to her boss after a hiccup at one of his recent book signings, the last thing she expected was to find herself stranded with him in the middle of nowhere during a storm.

Right from the outset you get to see Daisy as she is, an ambitious young girl with good intentions albeit completely unprepared for the weather and the circumstances she finds herself in. Rory meanwhile is the complete opposite, someone who has been hurt in the past so prefers his solitude and privacy, so how will he cope when the energetic Daisy bursts into his life?

This was a sweet, heart-warming tale perfect for reading in a single sitting although if I'm honest I would have liked a little more as it was over far too quick. It was fairly obvious from the start how it was all going to end but I didn't mind that so much as it was still an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 16 Dec 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
From Scotland with Love is a delightful story. It is a quick, one sitting read, yet manages to grab the readers attention through skilled creation of strong characters. Mediocre publicity assistant Daisy is full of surprises, and Rory McAllen is a rugged, private author. Polar opposites in many ways, the two find out they have more in common than they expect when they are thrust together due to a snow storm.

I was completely charmed by this novella- not a lot happens in many ways, but that doesn't matter as it is written in a way that hooks you in. I found the characters likeable and real, the snowy Scottish landscape vividly described and Rory's cosy cottage a haven that any writer will lust after!

If you love books about writers, winter and puppies, you won't be disappointed. I only wish it had been longer as I am desperate to learn more about the characters-follow up please, Katie?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel-Good Fun, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
This was a very sweet novella which was quite different from what I thought it'd be.

This book will warm your heart and make you smile and you'll want to stand on the side of a snowy mountain, just looking at the view. It's worth every penny of that 1.28 price tag. It's an easy, quick read full of feel-good moments.

Daisy is a very likeable character, although I think she puts herself down rather too much. And Rory is a little bit of a surprise and not what you expect after what you're told.

This is a gorgeous little read that's perfect for winter - and particularly those two weeks up to New Years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages!, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
Review: wow! I really didn't know what to expect from this short story, I haven't read many stories this short this year, a few novellas and serials but not a short story and I have to say, I loved this! I thought the story built up impressively well over such a short period of time, the reader is dropped right in the action straight away and yet the characters and settings are all developed swiftly and fully so you don't feel like you've missed out on anything!

I wasn't sure I was going to like the character of Daisy from the start of this story, she seemed like a typical city girl who didn't know the first thing about Scotland and wouldn't be able to cope with being snowed in in a remote location with only a grumpy author and a dog for company. This Seems to be how she views herself to begin with as well but the transformation that takes place over the course of the story is pretty impressive and I really liked her at the end, I really really want to find out what has become of her now, I think she deserves her own novel!

Rory is a typical recluse, a bit grumpy with a history he is trying to hide, but he also comes into his own as the story progresses, I think he too surprises himself with the ways I which he is prepared to change. The storyline as a whole was just totally heart warming. The dog has some puppies, bread is baked and there is Cashmere and knitted throws left right and centre. The setting is so well described and snidely described that I felt as if I was there and I wanted to stay there with Rory and the puppies looking out over the loch!

Overall I was bowled over with how lovely this short story was. As I've said I wished it was full novel it was just so good. I love wintery books that feature eating and cooking and so this was ideal for me. It had a total Trisha Ashley feel to it, and I could totally identify with the setting as well as the characters. I would recommend this to anyone as a lovely read for this time of year, it is the perfect length for the busy holiday season and is a good introduction to this author for anyone who has not come across her before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book., 16 July 2014
This review is from: From Scotland With Love (Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
Great story as always from Katie Fforde. Was hooked from the beginning. It's only a short story, so read in one day, but couldn't put it down! Loved it!