on 9 June 2014
This is an excellent operating system. I must prefer it to Windows 8. This order arrived quickly from Amazon. Take care when ordering your particular package. Windows 7 comes in a 32 bit and a 64 bit system. I ordered this 64 bit system without first checking that my old computer was recommended for the 32 bit. Once you open the packing of the CD, then you cannot return it to Amazon.

Note that the Windows 7 product key code is located on the packing, so don't throw it away! You'll need that key code for installation.

You'll first want to run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. This is a free download provided by Microsoft that will tell you whether your computer can be upgraded to Windows 7, and if it can, then which system (32 or 64) is recommended.

And don't forget to make a backup of all files, drivers, etc. that you have on the old operating system! For that you can use Windows Easy Transfer (you'll need an external drive for this). Easy Transfer is available for free from Microsoft.
11 comment127 of 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 September 2014
*OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (used by computer system builders).
*The OEM version needs to be install on a new hard disk (not one with an operating system already on), or you could wipe
clean the operating system disk before installing.
* It will bind to the first computer it is installed on and cannot be transferred to a different computer at a later date.
* There will be no free technical support from Microsoft as it will be provided by the system builder (you).

What the gobbledegook means in the title as at 25th October 2014:

SP1 - Service Pack 1, previously released software updates

x64 - This signifies that it is a 64 bit edition.

DSP OEI - Delivery Service Partner, Original Equipment Installer. It is an OEM version used by smaller computer manufacturers and system builders (smaller than the likes of Dell or HP etc). No real difference apart from the absence of logos.

DVD - Digital Video Disc a.k.a. Digital Versatile Disc.

LCP - Licence Compliance Pack which is a booklet telling you about the licence as well as the key itself.

PC - Personal Computer

Window 7 (W7) comes in 32bit and 64bit favours. It also comes in several versions Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Most home users get by with the Home Basic edition.

A CPU needs to have 64bit architecture to run W7 64bit.
A CPU with 32bit architecture can ONLY run W7 32bit.
A CPU with 64bit architecture can run either W7 32bit or W7 64bit.
You can usually tell what architecture your CPU has from the BIOS.

W7 32bit can only address about 3.5Gb of RAM.
W7 64bit can address much more than 3.5Gb of RAM, depending on the version (e.g. basic (8Gb), premium (16Gb), professional (192Gb), etc.)

Most 32bit programs will run on W7 64bit, however notable exceptions are device drivers (e.g. for printers), these will need to be 64bit to run.

My install went ok, most drivers are downloaded automatically. The only problem I had was a PCI 4USB card that didn't get detected. This was solved by switching the PC off and removing the power cord for a few minutes (power is still supplied to the main board even when PC is off). Upon reboot the card was detected fine.

Oh and do be prepared to have W7 download and install a ton of automatic updates, mine had to go through 192Mb!
1212 comments150 of 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2015
Let me allay anyone's fears and suspicions about this product. Ignore previous reviews, if you order this directly from Amazon it is a genuine OEM licence with a genuine windows holographic disk, it is not a Dell reinstall disk but the real deal. As for third parties that sell through amazon, well I wouldn't like to take the risk.

Now to the product itself, this is for people who have built their own computer, it is one licence and it is tied to the motherboard of the first computer you install it on after activation. So you can change the hardware as much as you want and reinstall it as much as you want as long as the motherboard doesn't change. This product was as described, it comes with minimal packaging so don't expect a box. It installed quickly and it activated pretty soon after and was verified by Microsoft as genuine without a hitch.
55 comments21 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2014
I was in two minds to either go for windows 8 or windows 7, from what I have seen of windows 8 I think it is more suited to tablet use,I prefer the traditional appearance of the windows desktop.
11 comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2014
The CD came in a sleeve which I was happy with. The operating system itself was just like any other installer and the installation was very easy. The activation was successful. A authentic sticker also comes included. I understand that the machine you install this on means you can only reinstall it on that motherboard the machine has meaning you cannot upgrade this motherboard without losing the operating system and use it on another computer. But this is what you have to expect from OEM software. So all in all I am very happy especially with the fact that Windows 7 is a huge improvement over the slow Windows Vista I used for many years.
on 1 June 2015
Yeah don't bother this isn't legit at all, red flags went off when i saw the dodgy casing. Put in the code . . . Worked for about one day before windows tells me that it isn't valid. Luckly i had a spare from my previous laptop, so yeah save your cash for we have a scammer among us ^^
on 27 February 2014
I decided to upgrade from Vista to 7 instead of 8 to keep the familiar desktop and i wasn't disappointed. Even though it says its for system builders only, it loaded from my vista desktop as normal and gave me a choice of upgrading from vista or a fresh install.
I went for a new install. Note that you can use this OS with one pc [it locks to the motherboard], but they all do that now,don't they!
i'm pleased with this OS, seems very stable and easy to use.
66 comments67 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2014
This was used to install Windows 7 on my old XP system. With all the negativity surrounding Windows 8 I thought I'd go with something I know. Windows 7 is a great operating system and is a real upgrade to XP. This disc will not 'upgrade' from XP and keep all your programs, but as long as you are doing a clean install (booting from the Disc at start up) you'll have no problems installing Windows 7 on most PCs, even quite old ones.
66 comments59 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2014
On my PC, I had Windows XP as well as Ubuntu Linux installed. With the deadline of Win XP support fast approaching, I decided I needed to get a newer version of Windows installed. Because of this, I purchased this item. Upon receiving this item, I installed Windows 7 on the partition which I had Windows XP on. About forty-five minutes later, I rebooted and reinstalled the Grub2 boot-loader to allow me to use both Win 7 & and Ubuntu.

I had written this review because I was initially put off by negative reviews from the Amazon.com but had taken the chance and thankfully it had paid off with a painless and hassle free installation. Most of the negative reviews were about the product key. I can not speculate about specific instances but the only thing I can think of is that the product key was incorrectly entered. On the packaging of this product, it contains the product key but the key is in very small writing. Before installation, I had written the product key onto a piece of paper and put enough spacing between the individual product key character groups in order to make it easier to read. I then double checked the product key I had written down to ensure there was no mistakes and when installed Windows 7. I would highly recommend doing this as it saves a lot of hassle that other reviewers had experienced.
11 comment62 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
I bought this OEM product to install on a MacBook Pro using Boot Camp. I deliberately bought it direct from Amazon to avoid some of the nightmares reported in some reviews about activation and we can say that we had no problems whatsoever installing and activating Windows. I have no hesitation recommending this purchase.