5.0 out of 5 stars It's The Bee's Knees!
Published 10 months ago by ESP

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but it doesn't come without problems.
Published 9 months ago by Anton Gustafsson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's The Bee's Knees!, 4 Feb 2014
ESP (Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
I read a review of the new Dragonfly last month and decided I wanted to try it. At £129 from Amazon, and arriving next day, it was too tempting. Since mid January I have been using it to listen to Spotify (Premium) and my lossless files via Winamp on my laptop. I am pairing the Dragonfly with Klipsch X10 earphones. Prior to this I was boosting my sound experience with the chunky Arcam rPac (cost me about £150 last year).

My verdict? You have to seriously consider buying one of these if you are in the market for a portable DAC.

In all honesty the difference between the Arcam and the Audioquest is by no means night and day. In fact, the differences are quite subtle where sound quality is concerned. However, I believe that the Dragonfly has the edge: that touch more clarity and sense of space, more control of the bass notes making them that bit more taut and defined. There is the sense of a veil being lifted. It is hard to believe such good sound comes via a glorified memory stick! ;-)

Add to this the excellent price and the extremely convenient size and you have a winner. True, it cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but feed it with good quality music files and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Sorry Arcam, but I will be selling my rPac onward very soon.

EDIT: Listening again this evening, I decided to directly compare between plugging the Klipsh x10 earphones directly into the earphone socket of the laptop and using the Dragonfly. Firstly, I have to admit that the Acer output is not bad at all (things have improved in recent years). However, that said, having switched back to the Dragonfly, it's the latter I prefer. With the 'phones plugged directly into the jack socket the sound is clear and crisp and even provides decent bass weight and definition. Yet, to my ears, the sound is brittle and quite possibly too harsh for extended listening. Yes, it has clarity, but there's no warmth and depth. When the Dragonfly is plugged in it is necessary to notch up the volume for comparison. That done, the sound gains 'life' and colour. The bass has better controlled weight and punch. I suppose you can say that overall the sound is better balanced and richer without becoming too biased toward either end of the scale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
I will avoid all the high spec. techie jargon that I have found in some other reviews.

I was thinking about buying this for some time and the price dropped to a sensible level so I stopped thinking and actually took action.

Brilliant - it brings the dull sound of MP3 to vibrant life. Well I suppose in fairness it may be the dull sound of my MAC Book Air sound card but who cares it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars My set-up sounded good already and I was a little sceptical as to ..., 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
I don't often do reviews but I just had to for this!
I'm an audiophile, I have Monitor Audio's 5i Silver speakers hooked-up to Yamaha's DSP-A2070 Amp with REL's Stratos 3 Sub and QED interconnects so the only thing missing was a quality DAC as all my music is on my laptop.

This DAC won the What HiFi under £200 award for 2014 (this is the updated version they tested) and that's when it costed £160.
My set-up sounded good already and I was a little sceptical as to the benefits that this would bring and whether I would be able to hear the difference clearly or whether it would only show on weaker recordings.

It's plug-and-play so took 30 seconds to install itself. I set volume to max as not using headphones and then played my first test track.
The bass through my REL is suddenly supertight and rich in sound with perfect timing and punch - any wooliness is just gone and the vocals are beautifully clear and sweet with amazing sound-staging - Dido's voice is like she's in my front-room with me!
Everything from Enya to Hard-Trance sounds incredible!

I'm still hearing tiny differences in songs that I've been listening to for years - I am truly impressed with this DAC and now that it's £130, I don't see how anything can compete with it.
One of the best purchases I've ever made - Simples! Get one.
PS Get a decent interconnect if you're going to an Amp or you'll lose all of the advantage of this DAC - QED's J2P is excellent for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement on the Original, 20 Dec 2013
Ida Henman (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
I've had the Dragonfly v 1.0 for more than one year,and was very pleased with it.The only problem was it had a slightly metallic,hard edge to the sound.This latest version has fixed that problem.A softer,but even more detailed delivery!I use Sennheiser ie80s and 650s.With the 650s I use an additional amp,and the dac of the Dragonfly.A USB right hand adapter keeps the Dragonfly flush with a Macbook.Regardless of price it's something really special.At £129 it's a steal!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My second Dragonfly in 18 months..., 25 Mar 2014
I. McMillan (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
When the first Dragonfly hit the streets a few years ago, like many others I suppose I was intrigued by the reviews but balked at the price of then £215. I weakened and I am very pleased I did. This little chap is a constant companion and - as it says on the tin - turns your PC into a proper hi-fi. (I have a Linn Akurate system at home so these things are important to me). I have just received my second Mk II Dragonfly - the reason was simply one of convenience, I was having to remember to take this vital bit of electronic wizardry with me on frequent trips and I was genuinely disappointed If I left it behind. My PC gets moved around the house all the time when I am at home and plugged into the various active speakers in whichever room - with Spotify, the Beeb's 6Music and the music I have on the PC itself - mostly 24-bit Studio Master stuff - I am sorted.

Now for the direct comparison between the two Dragonfly versions. So far I have swapped them about using a pair of high-end Sony in-ears and the sound of the new 1.2 version is slightly softened in the higher frequencies giving a softer-but-not-necessarily-better sound because a little detail is lost in the process and, with some pieces tending to be a tad more 'boomy' at the bass end although the effect is negligible. I have to stress that the new one is not 'run-in' although I would doubt that this would make any difference in this case. When you consider that the cost of the 1.2 is £130 v £215 for the original, the device is VERY good value.

Compared with my other DACs - a HRT Microstreamer (i paid £180) which pushes out marginally better sound than the Dragonfly but is not as small and neat and my Arcam rDAC (i paid £329) which is better still but is a fixed installation driving bigger speakers and is not really a portable device.

So... the best value by far is the new Dragonfly and if you are considering one then this reviewer would urge you to go ahead with confidence. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement to my Macbook sound quality, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
I use my Macbook to access my music collection and to stream internet content. The sound quality through the headphone output is poor so when I discovered external DACs the Dragonfly seemed the best value on the market. It was easy to set up and makes a huge improvement to the sound quality through all of the headphones I have tried.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but it doesn't come without problems., 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
Great sound, but it doesn't come without problems. I get buzzing sounds with it all the time... I already sent one in and got a new one. And the new one had the exakt same problem. When I use the standard green output on my laptop i never ever (!!) get buzzing sounds... If i remove it and connect it the buzzing gets horrible in the beginning. I seriously dont know what to do, the electrical sounds really removes the joy of having great sound.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
No way near as good as I expected, My Asus laptop £250 headphone output sounds noticeably better and I even preferred my old Apple I-touch 2 gen which is also much more versatile.

I am glad most people who own this are satisfied but I feel this is more a reflection on how poor the headphone output of their laptops is!

I would also say that it is important that buyers get themselves a good pair of headphones before they consider buying a Dac and not the in-ear fad stuff but propper on/over ear.

Update: I prefer the DacMagic XS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, will blow out your ears, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
The device appears to be buggy; its USB descriptor doesn't provide the right decibel scale, so the moment your computer touches the volume control in the device it'll probably set it to maximum. The internal amplifier is powerful enough that this is likely to leave your ears ringing for hours, and quite possibly destroy your headphones.

Avoid.

Incidentally, I received the 1.0 version; it's possible that the 1.2 works, if you happen to get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy better sound from your computer, 27 Dec 2014
Andrew Mcpherson (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 (Electronics)
As described in the reviews I have read in some of the HiFi press this DAC improves the audio from my laptop making music and movie sound much more enjoyable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›