on 25 September 2010
Good points:

~ Brilliantly appealing photos of every dish.
~ easy to tell how hard the dish is to make.
~ vegetarian options for most meals
~ extremely helpful sample menu and shopping lists, very handy for those living alone for the first time.
~ Useful tips at the start of the book before the recipies.

Bad Points:

~ Could not find mango pulp anywhere in my local supermarket (as the book said you could), and the book didnt have details on how to prepare this but it was very easy to find online: Just peel and blend a mango with a little water.

Review:

I recieved this book one year as a christmas present from an aunt. I didnt really have enough money in my first year of uni to be able to experiment with food, because my car broke-down every five minutes. But in my second year I started to try a few of the recipies from this book, and it made a massive difference to my diet.

The recipies are easy to follow, and the good quality colour pictures (of every recipe) really helped me decide which ones I fancied making.

There are sections at the start of the book about how long things can be stored for, cooking times for different vegetables,how to cook pasta, how to cook rice, and other handy advice (like 'wash up now and then!'). This book is also extremely good for vegetarians, as lots of the recipes have vegetarian option.

Also, if you are running out of money, vegetarian option is usually chraper than buying meat, and just as tasty!

Conclusion:

Makes a very good present for someone living away from home for the first time.
on 5 June 2009
I purchased this book for my son last year when he went to University. It gives you ideas on a menu for the week and tells you what ingredients you need to buy. It puts recipes together so that you can buy larger quantities of ingredients (often cheaper)and also so that there is less waste. All the recipes are for 1 or 2 people and very easy to follow. My son never used to do any cooking, but now he cooks for himself every day! My Daughter starts University in October so I got one for her too. This is probably the best book I have ever bought.
on 22 October 2007
This book has revolutionised my eating habits!

The idea of writing a menu for a week and thus planning what you need to buy will also revolutionise your spending habits too.

Gone are the days of a freezerful of expensive processed foods, The days of healthy, fun, real food and cooking are here!

Everything about the book is brilliantly thought out, from the font and pictures to the dish difficulty rating and the "how long can I keep this....?" section.

The recipes are mostly quick, use a minimum of equipment and are healthy too - packed full of good, inexpensive vegetables. One of the best things I've discovered is the ease with which you can modify a recipe. You can generally add and subtract according to your tastes. I never stick to the sample menus (I'm fussy), but I'll make my own up.

Recipe's I highly recommend:
-Monday Pie
-Creamy Chicken
-Pasta & Chicken Bake
-Sausage Pie
on 23 June 2007
My friend bought me this book as a birthday present as I enjoy cooking and will be off to uni this September. I have made many of the meals inside (chicken noodles went down very well!) and have found them to be delicious, healthy and inexpensive. The meals aren't hard to make and it really opens your eyes to what you can do. I've even started experimenting myself! The layout is easy to read and the instructions are simple. It's a must for anyone who doesn't know how to cook and enjoys food. I would rate higher if I could!
on 14 September 2008
I recommend this book as an excellent starting point for home made meals. Everything can be made with cheap and fresh ingredients and there's bound to be plenty of recipes in there that are new to you.

The recipes are easy to make and once you get used to them, just as quick as getting a takeaway.
on 18 October 2006
I had the original copy of the book and loved it so much so just had to get the new one! Particular favourites are the quick and easy cheesecake -always wows the guests! Being able to make your own chinese too is great, lemon chicken and sweet and sour chicken! I could go on and on! But I would definatley reccomend this book, its easy for students to use because it doesnt need you to have lots of kitchen equipment, but i'm a graduate now and still love using it :)
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2007
This guide for students is excellent.

I have had 3 children go through the formative experience of cooking for themselves and their pals at university. As a teacher of 6th form students I wanted to give them good advice on "Healthy eating for a healthy bank balance" and lots of my own children's views are echoed by Joy May.

The book is set out in such a way that you are lead to the next section from the previous one, everything is brought back to basics so everyone can have a go at the excellent, extensive recipes.

If you are going to university in the near future, buy this book, it will repay its value several times.
on 30 May 2007
I find that this book is so easy to use and understand. I don't even need to use scales for weighing! The photographs are the real winner - the food looks so delicious, why make do with a meal in a packet or an expensive take-away!! My favourite is the South African dish "Bobotie" - its so easy to make and great hot or cold.

I also have "Vegetarian Nosh 4 Students" - both are a great combination with no repeats.
on 11 January 2010
As a student who is a self confessed cookery dummy i found this book to be extremely useful. Not only does it take you through the basics of cooking e.g. how to bake potatoes etc. it provides simple, easy to follow recipes which provide some fantastic results. Its fun, easy to use, interesting and even my MUM uses it... not just a recipe for students!
A must buy and a bargain price, well worth the money!
on 28 February 2008
I bought this book, as i have just moved out of my parents house without any knowledge of cooking. I bought this book on a whim, and i have nearly done all the meals in the book. most of the ingredients u can find in a kitchen cupboard, which is great on a tight bugdet, all the meals i have cooked so far from this book are very tastey, and something i never thought i would be able to make, but the instructions are very simple and easy to follow. seriously recommend to any student or parents worried about their kids burnin down thier kitchen. great starter pack for any novice like myself.