5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Alive: The Corporeal Pull (Kindle Edition)
I was sent this book for review and found it to be an intelligent and thought provoking read.

This story is deeply philosophical and explores worlds and concepts of life and death, good versus evil and transcendence in an original and clever way.

Although this first in the series it holds great significance to what it means to be human and the forces that surround us and that the next book will only delve deeper.

It too explores the 'reality' of society and its encompassing sadness and hardships - the very journeys in which make Terra's role so important.

Extremely well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Be Reading The Follow-Ups, 19 Dec 2013
Miss Samantha Grayson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alive: The Corporeal Pull (Kindle Edition)
This is a book where I felt torn. I loved the main character Terra, but also felt at times she was too distant and detached. At the same time I also felt she reflected a younger version of myself (although my life is not quite so exciting). Yet I also cried at points in the book, so maybe it is a good thing that one of us had a bit more emotional detachment!
The story line setup has enormous potential and I feel this series of book might grow and grow. Many of the ideas tie in with New Age philosophy but it does make a brilliant story.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found I couldn't put it down. I want to know what happens next. Terra is a character that I feel people either will connect with or simply won't understand, but for those that get her they will love her.

4.0 out of 5 stars The eternal question of 'why', 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Alive: The Corporeal Pull (Kindle Edition)
This book's genre is 'Paranormal Romance'. Terra is a female guiding spirit who lives in The Tweens. The Tweens is not elaborately described, so you can leave it up to your imagination. Terra 's calling in the Tweens is to guide other entities who will enter earth and will be given a mortal body; that's what Terra has done for many thousands of years and for thousands of corporeal souls. Once in the human world, they still have free will, though Terra, who will be in charge of a certain number of mortals, guides them by what she receives from The One. Again, The One is not described in detail, but we get the impression that he/she is not unlike a supreme being, and whatever he/she is doing is for the good of all and towards a good goal. The mortals who live on earth are not aware of their previous existence in The Tweens whilst on earth. (So, you could be one now being guided by someone like Terra :) - I quite like that thought! Once their mortal body perishes, the return to 'The Tweens'. Again, nice thought!

Than Terry gets a new 'charge': Liam. There is an immediate connection between the two, and a deep bond between them develops. But Terra knows that Liam's calling is to go to earth as a mortal, and she has to prepare him. But Terra fears for him, as there is nasty existence on earth called The Scrouge which effects mortals in a bad way. The One provides Terra with two options to send him to earth: either as a child born to a prostitute or as a child of a woman who is in a permanent coma. But that's not the only choice Terra will have to make.

The book expanded my horizon and you have to be prepared to let your common perceptions of 'matter' and 'life as we know it' wander and think 'outside the box' i.e. planet earth and what else is there. It taps into the eternal question "Where do we come from?" "Why does this and that happen to me? and not to others?" Other reviewers have said that they found Terra a bit too distant/difficult to connect to, but I think we have to remember that she is not meant to be human and her feelings (or whatever to call it) will be different. I think the author executed this brilliantly, i.e. show us that we are dealing with a different entity who is confronting her own battles. The only thing I did struggle with were the 'fighting scenes' which is not fighting in the traditional sense (like punching etc.) I think you will have to get your head around it and use your imagination.

One thing which I like to mention are the descriptions of Liam's experiences of foster care (and I don't think that by revealing he went through the care system on planet earth I will give too much of the plot away). There was a deep sadness about it and I just wanted to give him a hug! It is actually a rather minor part in the book, but even so, it kind of touched me.

The book is the start of new series and I can see that after finishing the book, there is a lot of possibility for further adventures in The Tweens and with their charges on earth. I think it is well worth giving this genre a try with this book, even if you don't normally read paranormal.

4.0 out of 5 stars What an imagination!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Alive: The Corporeal Pull (Kindle Edition)
The author passed me this book so I could review it. And I am very pleased that she did.

It wouldn't necessarily be the kind of book I would pick up, naturally being drawn to historical fiction, but I will now be looking out for similar books in the future.

The story is one of soul mates and the lengths one woman, Terra, will go to protect the soul she loves. A guide in a realm called The Tweens, she places `souls' on Earth and guides them to reach their potential and destiny. Not wanting to give the plot away, I will only say that there is an earthly fight for souls with the `scourge' who threaten to destroy the one she loves.

The plot is well thought out and paced and I found it difficult to put it down. This book was a joy to read and has stayed with me long after I finished the last page.

This is the first book in a trilogy and the ending leaves the book perfectly poised for book two. It has enormous potential to be a big hit. Sara's imagination is phenomenal and I can't wait to see where it takes us next.

Alive: The Corporeal Pull