on 27 June 2014
This was my first purchase of an activity tracker and I was not disappointed!
Until recently, I felt activity monitors were ugly, bulky and impractical.
The Shine, however, is attractive to look at and has many features that make it practical to use.

I have been very happy with my purchase mainly for the following reasons:

1. Easy and enjoyable to wear - and being waterproof and comfortable, I can forget I am wearing it for days! I can wear it on my shoe when cycling, on my wrist when swimming (being waterproof I never need to take it off) and wear it on a necklace when I would rather wear a different watch and not have two on show. I normally wear it on my wrist though, as it is so lightweight I cannot feel it, thin so it doesn't catch on clothes and attractive to look at. I also enjoy using the smarter leather strap.

2. Battery life - unlike other activity trackers, I can keep the Shine on for months with no charging required. I'd much prefer to buy a replacement battery every few months than have to remember to charge it each night.

3. The app - It is visually appealing and user friendly, giving good guidance on how to set targets by giving examples of how much time walking, running or swimming your chosen points target equates to. I spent the first few days adjusting the target based on how much activity I achieved, which was quick and easy to do. Another bonus is being able to tap the Shine three times to tag and start tracking different activities than walking. For example, I have chosen for my Shine to track tennis if I tap three times. I can also choose an activity retrospectively on the app when looking back at my day's activity - If I hold my finger down on an activity, I can change it to a different activity from the list. This makes sure the activity tracking is as accurate as possible.

I would highly recommend the Shine. It is stylish and practical, and makes tracking fitness targets enjoyable!
on 16 December 2013
I was a bit cautious about investing in a fitness tracker - I knew there were quite a few on the market and didn't know how I should have made a decision on which the right one for me was. In the end I settled on the Shine for a few reasons:

1. Its much more discrete than the others - the fuelband put my off straight away as its just too bulky and the flex looks like a cheap bit of plastic so that was a no go
2. You dont have to take it off. Lots of the Withings reviews comment on how annoying it is to have to charge so this was a big plus that it's just got a battery
3. Its 100% waterproof. Again the others can't all be taken swimming/shower and people who own the flex say that it goes all gunky and gross if you wear it in the shower - again I wanted one that I knew I never had to take off!
4. It can track cycling - I have now used it a few times by putting it on my sock using the magnetic clasp and it is great as I ride into work every morning.

As soon as I started using the shine I loved it - I have gotten so into hitting my daily target it's a little unhealthy (yes running on the spot before I've gone to bed has actually happened!). the interface on the app is very simple and clearly displays your goal, your steps etc.

The calories count seemed to be showing very high so I emailed their customer support about it and they said that it includes the calories your body naturally burns as well as the exercise you do on top (i.e. you burn calories naturally when you sleep so these are on the count).

All in all would defiantly recommend. I am very happy with my purchase (am thinking about buying it as a Xmas pressie too so might be back on Amazon sooner than I expected!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 November 2014
I spent a long time looking for an activity tracker that met the specs that I was looking for and a reasonable price point.
The misfit shine tracks me, (rather than nominal activities) whatever I do. It is really (truly) waterproof [50 meters] and can track my activity in the pool, so I don't have to take it off or have different gadgets for different sports.
I can keep it on all the time, for any activity (or sleeping), it's really low profile, it doesn't get in the way and I can ignore it unless I want to check my activity or the time.

I couldn't find another monitor at the time that I could wear as a pedometer and keep on for swimming. Today there is also the misfit flash, which is a little lighter but slightly bigger.

The app (on android) keeps improving with more functionality at each update.

I particularly like misfits approach to tracking activity using the 3-axis accelerometer. It's simple and logical, best of all, it reflect *my* activity level, and not an assumption of the activity level of *a* person doing a *certain* activity for a given period.

I was nervous initially about whether the misfit would survive a battery change (and remain waterproof), but I have now changed the battery once and it's still working fine in and out of the pool.
on 16 December 2013
I recently read an article in the Guardian which gave this 5 Stars stating it is one of the easiest fitness trackers to live with so thought I'd take the plunge in attempt to shed a few pounds before Christmas. Happy to confirm that my experiences so far live up to the hype and the recent social update is great as I can now show off my stats on facebook.
I have to admit when I first synced this device it did have trouble recalling some data history but since updating everything is in perfect working order now. One feature I would like to see as I've replaced my watch with it is an alarm or vibrating feature but I guess my phone is always near anyway. Other than that I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and if I don't lose the pounds before Christmas just have myself to blame!:)
on 12 March 2015
I'm writing this review in the hope that it might save someone some of the hassles I've gone through with this monitor. The one star rating is not a reflection of the functionality of the device itself, it's about the design. I can believe that the monitor itself is as robust as they claim, but this doesn't help when it is likely to be lost well before any structural issues are found.

I lost it once after wearing around my wrist using the watch style strap - found after a very long search. Subsequently wore with the same strap around my ankle, which seemed more secure and worked for me for a long time, but sadly this makes is less noticeable when the monitor has popped out again, so the loss wasn't noticed until much later, by which time I couldn't find it even after a painstaking search around every single place I'd been that day.

I contacted their online support, and despite selecting that I was in the UK, got an email offering me a discount on a purchase from their US online store; however, with the $25 postage charge plus the other costs involved in buying from the US, it ended up working out to be rather more expensive than just buying a new one from Amazon. So not really very helpful.

I was bought the Shine as a present so didn't personally pay for it, but it's still really irritating that it just doesn't seem to be fit for purpose; I'm now faced with spending over £50 to replace something that in my opinion should never have been lost in the first place (in that it wasn't lost through carelessness, just through normal usage). It may be that newer models (mine received for Christmas 2013) have a more secure strap design, but make sure you know what you are getting before you buy, and certainly make sure it is in the most secure strap you can find before you use it!

I am now likely to look at purchasing a monitor with an inherently more secure design. From a functional perspective, I'd give the monitor 3.5 stars - it generally worked well, the battery didn't need replacing too often and the fact that it tracked sleep and you could swim with it were nice touches. Overall, I have to go with a one star review though, as anything that is so easily lost is just not worth the money, sadly.
on 27 July 2014
I bought my shine in January and after looking at other brands decided on my shine because it's able to be worn in different locations of the body ... Ideal for bike of which I do a lot of and swimming as waterproof. I also like I can put it in my pocket if it doesn't match my outfit! I love the auto functions so I don't have to think about what I'm doing it just track it! Love the auto sleep and seeing how well I slept each night. My only down side is having to replace the battery after 4 months! No biggy! I have recommend them to others already and they love theirs equally as much ❤️ A good buy
on 13 August 2014
This great little gadget has really made me aware of exercise and sleep activities. It has encouraged me to set personal targets and review them regularly - something that normally lapses. It is easy to wear - I particularly like the magnetized holder as it can be attached to bra straps and trainer laces without any fuss. I have also found that my sleep quality and length of sleep time (usually I get minimal sleep hours) has vastly improved through using the shine every day.
on 16 July 2014
The Misfit Shine is a great product! I spent a lot of time deciding on which fitness tracker to get, and the Shine came out on top for me because:
- Flexibility: You can wear it several places which means you can more accurately track different sports (cycling can be measured with this, and swimming as well)
- Waterproof: Don't have to take it off
- No charging: Running on a watch battery, so you don't have to take it off to charge it. New batteries are easy to get, but I haven't had a need for one yet.
- Shows the time

Potential downsides: App is catching up to jawbone/fitbit in functionality/quality, but not necessarily there yet.
on 23 October 2014
After an initially syncing issue with the Shine due to an IOS 8.0 update which was resolved within a week or two I have not stop wearing my Shine.
I like the fact it tracks sleep as well as activity and syncs very easily with my Iphone 4S. I have had it for just over a month and it has never felt loose in the watch strap. The watch strap is a flexible rubber so constantly swapping it from that to other forms of use may make it looser I just keep it in the watch strap as its fairly discreet and just looks like an odd watch.
It tracks ALL calories burned which takes some getting used to as we often only track activity calories but this tracks everything i.e living and breathing calories as well as workout calories. I pair it with the My Fitness Pal Ap on my phone and the combination of the two gives me a pretty accurate calorie deficit for the week.
If I could change anything I would set it to track from the weekday I choose as the start of the week not just the default which is Monday, the reason being I weigh myself on a Thursday and would like my week to track this way but it's not a deal breaker.
on 3 October 2014
Lost in just over a week!

I bought the shine and leather wrist strap was quite impressed until it shine popped out and was lost! It fell out a couple of times and I felt it fall so found it - unfortunately after just over a week - it was lost for good. Very dissatisfied and disappointed! And a waste of just under a £100 (shine and now empty wrist strap). Suggest other potential buyers opt for something more robust.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...