5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product!
I was a bit cautious about investing in a fitness tracker - I knew there were quite a few on the market and didn't know how I should have made a decision on which the right one for me was. In the end I settled on the Shine for a few reasons:

Published 12 months ago by Thomas O'Kane

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok while it lasted.
Published 2 months ago by Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product!, 16 Dec 2013

1. Its much more discrete than the others - the fuelband put my off straight away as its just too bulky and the flex looks like a cheap bit of plastic so that was a no go
2. You dont have to take it off. Lots of the Withings reviews comment on how annoying it is to have to charge so this was a big plus that it's just got a battery
3. Its 100% waterproof. Again the others can't all be taken swimming/shower and people who own the flex say that it goes all gunky and gross if you wear it in the shower - again I wanted one that I knew I never had to take off!
4. It can track cycling - I have now used it a few times by putting it on my sock using the magnetic clasp and it is great as I ride into work every morning.

As soon as I started using the shine I loved it - I have gotten so into hitting my daily target it's a little unhealthy (yes running on the spot before I've gone to bed has actually happened!). the interface on the app is very simple and clearly displays your goal, your steps etc.

The calories count seemed to be showing very high so I emailed their customer support about it and they said that it includes the calories your body naturally burns as well as the exercise you do on top (i.e. you burn calories naturally when you sleep so these are on the count).

All in all would defiantly recommend. I am very happy with my purchase (am thinking about buying it as a Xmas pressie too so might be back on Amazon sooner than I expected!)

5.0 out of 5 stars All-round great product!, 27 Jun 2014
This was my first purchase of an activity tracker and I was not disappointed!
Until recently, I felt activity monitors were ugly, bulky and impractical.
The Shine, however, is attractive to look at and has many features that make it practical to use.

I have been very happy with my purchase mainly for the following reasons:

1. Easy and enjoyable to wear - and being waterproof and comfortable, I can forget I am wearing it for days! I can wear it on my shoe when cycling, on my wrist when swimming (being waterproof I never need to take it off) and wear it on a necklace when I would rather wear a different watch and not have two on show. I normally wear it on my wrist though, as it is so lightweight I cannot feel it, thin so it doesn't catch on clothes and attractive to look at. I also enjoy using the smarter leather strap.

2. Battery life - unlike other activity trackers, I can keep the Shine on for months with no charging required. I'd much prefer to buy a replacement battery every few months than have to remember to charge it each night.

3. The app - It is visually appealing and user friendly, giving good guidance on how to set targets by giving examples of how much time walking, running or swimming your chosen points target equates to. I spent the first few days adjusting the target based on how much activity I achieved, which was quick and easy to do. Another bonus is being able to tap the Shine three times to tag and start tracking different activities than walking. For example, I have chosen for my Shine to track tennis if I tap three times. I can also choose an activity retrospectively on the app when looking back at my day's activity - If I hold my finger down on an activity, I can change it to a different activity from the list. This makes sure the activity tracking is as accurate as possible.

I would highly recommend the Shine. It is stylish and practical, and makes tracking fitness targets enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars I 100% recommend the misfit shine, 13 July 2014
Misfit Shine is an incredible piece of wearable technology. As a sporty person, I never thought I would be interested in using it - I already played sport regularly so why did I need it? It was recommended to me by a friend and I haven't taken it off since I bought it 2 weeks ago. The best thing about it, is that it's totally waterproof and NEVER needs charging. It tracks everything I do, swim, bike, run, tennis (and some other sports that I don't play) which is totally amazing as even my garmin watch doesn't track my indoor swimming! I have become a lot more active outside of my training time, for example, getting off the bus one stop earlier to make sure I reach my daily goals or making sure I go for a brisk stroll at lunch time.

On the aesthetic side, it looks really modern and many people have commented on my "cool watch" - little do they know what it's really capable of! It slick, tells the time (even in bright sunlight) and reminds me to move around more than usual. It's really amazing how I never have to charge it or change the battery. I can just wear it all the time without even thinking about it.

One of the best features is that it does not need GPS to work. This means that if I'm in a spin class or running on a treadmill, it still records my workout. You just need to attach the Shine to your shoe so that it records your movement.

One feature I'm looking forward to, is for the device to capture additional sporting activities. For example, it's not great at capturing weight lifting. I have read that they are looking to add these features, which will be great.

All in all, it's a brilliant product and I would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fitness and sleep tracker! Best investment I've made for ages! 5 stars!, 2 July 2014
After thinking long and hard about whether to invest in a fitness tracker or not, I decided to go for the Misfit Shine and I am really pleased I did. Not only does it look great but it has really got me thinking about my fitness/exercise on a daily basis. The first thing I do when I wake up every morning is check how well I slept the night before and the Misfit Shine's amazingly clever sleep tracker is encouraging me to get 8 hours sleep a night - something we are constantly being told is very important for us. I play football a few times a week and wearing the Misfit Shine while I play allows me to compare each session. As I am conscious that my performance is being tracked, it makes me work harder and I am already benefitting as a result. The Misfit iPhone app is incredibly easy to use and well-designed, which makes syncing and viewing my stats really quick and straight forward. I love the fact that it also tells the time (which is something I love showing off to friends) and means I no longer have to wear a watch! Overall this is a great product and I am very, very happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok while it lasted., 21 Oct 2014
Well, I purchased this item towards the end of August. I dutifully uploaded data into the Android app, that is considerably less functional than the iOS app. Today I decided to try the tracker using the magnetic clip on a pair of lace-up boots, tucking the tracker behind the laces on the shin of my boot. Well, it's now officially gone. Well done me and well done design over function.

Whilst I was an owner of the Misfit Shine, I can say I struggled to know the context of the data I was looking at and was unable to figure out how to aggregate the data I had collected to look at trends. So just know, if you are Android, you get to see a chart each for activity and sleep on any given day, but it won't tell you where you are within a percentile or allow you to extract data to see if you sleep better on a weekend versus a weekday. I am unsure if this is available on iOS.

I did get many compliments on it with most wondering how it functioned as a watch. I agree, it's quite snazzy and I really liked the fact that it was waterproof and didn't require constant charging.

I am struggling to decide whether I will give Misfit an additional sale without some significant upgrades in the functionality of the supporting software. Also, I would advise against using the magnetic clip, even if you do tuck it into your shoelaces. A rather costly lesson learned there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't live without it!, 11 Sep 2014
My misfit shine was a 40th birthday present from my Husband and I absolutely love it!! I spent several weeks looking at different products as we had not long joined the gym and I wanted something that would track several things as I not only use the gym and run, but also take classes and swim twice a week. It was the versatility and look that drew me to the Misfit Shine. I read several reviews and did lots of comparisons but felt that as I wanted something that I could wear whilst swimming. I have also seen negative reviews but felt that overall this ticked the most of my boxes. Although everything else I own is pink, I chose champagne.
I've had it since the beginning of July and I have not one complaint. The updates keep getting better and better and the most recent update (adding my fitness pal) is amazing! Now not only do I track all movement, calculating how many calories burnt, but I'm also tracking all calories that I eat too and they sync perfectly!
I'm looking forward to what updates will come next, recent ones allow tracking of more than one device and shows how much battery life is left, I still have over half my battery life left - not having to charge all the time is also a brilliant feature. Even my husband loves the sleep setting, we fall to sleep to the sound of a racking fire.
I'm also looking forward to seeing what else is released, different coloured straps would be really nice, I love the one I have but a choice of several colours would be great - the black magnet attachment attached itself to the outside of my black car - it's a very secure magnet.
I have nothing but praise for this product and recommend to family and friends, I could go on and on with all of the features that I love

4.0 out of 5 stars The misfit shined for me, 16 Sep 2014
Found the misfit while surfing the net, it was its eye catching look that first drew me to it. I then read what it could be used for and the different ways it can be worn. I needed a fitness device that would monitor my daily steps along with other forms of excise. My work does not permit the wearing of watches so that rule out a lot of fitness gadgets. The misfit has a strong magnet which fits securely on your clothes and since buying the misfit I can say I have only missed tracking a couple of days. I had had another fitness gadget before the misfit, which also attached to your clothing within a week of wearing it was lost, fell off while out walking. The misfit encourages me to walk more, you are able to use your phone to track your progress, or just tap on the misfit it's self and it's easy to see how far you are from your goal. My last fitness gadget showed a flower but once it was fully grow it grow another, so you did not know we're you were up to. The misfit also links up to other apps like my fitness keeper, so gives you extra calorie if earned, another good reason to walk that extra mile or two. However my first misfit would not monitor my sleep, I got in touch with the misfit team whom I can say were extremely helpful found the problem and I got a replacement. The only negative which stopped me giving the misfit 5 stars is that it's hit and miss when trying to monitor your sleep while you sleep in the day after a night shift.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, pop it on and forget about it, 5 May 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 4:08 Mins

The Misfit Shine is a fantastic looking little gadget, it's a pity they couldn't call it the 'Pebble' as that's what it resembles. In the box you get everything you need and setup is very easy, you'll have it up and tracking in less than 10 minutes.

This has been really well designed and allows you to wear this in a number of different ways. Using the provided magnetic strap you can pick between wearing this on thin clothing (such as a t-shirt), around a belt loop, or on your shoe laces. The magnet is very strong and feels like it will keep the Shine easily in place. Alternatively it can be worn like a watch by popping it into the included wrist strap (this is my preferred choice).

Once in place you can forget about it, it's nice and light and happily sits on your arm logging your activity. A big bonus over competitors is that as this doesn't have a screen it doesn't need need charging every day. The Shine has a user replaceable battery and no charging ports, which gives it another advantage in that it is waterproof, you can wear this in the shower or when swimming.

The companion app is really easy to use and displays data in a clear manner, but that's mainly due to the simplistic nature of the data. I wasn't too keen on the weight section, you need to manually enter your details. It would be nice to see Misfit developing this app to accept data from smart scales which are already on the market to save having to update it manually. This is really where the Shine falls down as the app isn't really that useful, it tells you about steps and sleep patterns, but nothing beyond this. I was expecting it might point something out about my sleep, or give some sort of feedback, instead it just makes a little graph.

Having data trapped in this app could be a deal breaker for many. It seems to me that anyone serious about fitness likely already uses some sort of app, liberating the data the Shine collects could prove very useful. If that sounds like you then this likely isn't the tracker for you as it's limited to the Shine app only.

If, like me, you don't have the app on your mobile because you don't have an iPhone you can easily check your progress towards that days goals with a simple double tap. The Shine has a set of small lights built it which then light up to show how far into your goal you are, these can also be used to display the time (this can be switched off in the app if it's not required). I then synchronize the data with the iPad when I get home.

This is a really easy to use activity tracker that looks fantastic and once put on can be completely forgotten about. Be warned that at the time of review this is Apple iOS only, and judging by other reviews only certain iPhones are compatible, but it certainly won't work with any non iOS devices. Get an Android app out and build in importing/exporting data with other fitness services and this could be a great product. If you are a casual fitness person like me this is useful to see when you're active and to remind you to get active. If you're a serious fitness person it's likely you'll view this as an overpriced pedometer.

**UPDATE: Battery Issue**
After the first week I needed to replace the battery. This seemed odd given how long it was meant to last but put it down to it being shipped with a dodgy battery. A week later the battery needed replacing again, clearly something was wrong. Contacting the manufacturers they confirmed it was likely a hardware issue and they immediatly shipped me a replacement Shine. So far this has been fine and I've had no further battery issues (2 weeks on), so if you do encounter an issue get in touch with Misfit, they were very helpful and very quick to resolve my issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Shine...on the road, in the pool, on the bike - it works for me, 6 Aug 2014
I love my Misfit Shine. I bought it because it was the only fitness tracker that claimed to be both waterproof and to work for cycling, as I do fitness activities in the pool and spend my weekends cycling. I found that step monitors just don't work for me and clip on devices kept falling off.

The wrist band is very comfortable & adjusts to my small wrist (who cares if it looks as if I'm wearing 2 watches). The magnet on the clip is really strong, but I tuck it into my sock on the bike just in case, as I don't want to lose it.

The sleep monitor is an added benefit, although I generally know if I've had a good or bad night.

The tapping technique takes a bit of getting used to, but you can always change the activity setting when you sync anyway, so not so important to get it right.

The app was a bit flakey to begin with, but they seem to have sorted that out now & mine syncs ok. I look forward to future improvements & enhancements.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tracker for all days, a great little way to encourage an active life., 11 Sep 2014
I've had my MisFit Shine for a little over 2 months now and so far I love it.

I made the change to the MisFit Shine from a rigid wristband style tracker (Nike Fuelband, FitBit etc) as I needed a gadget that was more flexible. I play a full contact sport that requires the use of protective wristguards and the solid wristbands do not fit with them. With the MisFit I can either wear it higher up my arm or attach it using the magnetic clip to my clothing. This means I do not miss out on tracking my main activity each week. I can then move it to my shoe to track my weekend cycle (a tracker on your wrist doesn't log cycling as you aren't moving your arms a lot).

I have also used it when swimming once or twice. It feels weird to get in a body of water wearing your tech but it tracks you fine!

The data on your sleep quality is for me an added bonus. It wasn't my reason for buying the Shine but now I have it I am fascinated. On those mornings where you think you woke up every hour you can check back and look at a detailed graph of your sleep. It is a little addictive!

The only criticism I can level at it is that the standard wristband could be a little "prettier" to match the Shine's nice look. But it is practical and despite my tough full contact sport it is bearing up very well.

The MisFit Shine provides me with valuable data on my activity levels and encourages me to move more. As I train and get fitter I can see how my performance is improving week on week. A lovely nudge in the right diretion. "Do more, be better".