4.0 out of 5 stars Unambiguous and well thought out
In this relatively short book, Garber uses his many years experience as a police detective to present an unbiased and clear cut evaluation of the age old mystery - the Princes in the Tower.

Published 15 months ago by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold Case Reheated
Published 15 months ago by Mrs. D. J. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold Case Reheated, 22 Dec. 2013
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cold Case Reopened: The Princes in the Tower (Kindle Edition)
Firstly I have to admire any non historian brave enough to put any thoughts on The Great Debate out in print! Overall the book is well written and straight forward, timelines of events are set out clearly. I don't know if the book was curtailed for any reason, but I suppose the problem is that there is so much you 'could' say on the subject and often I found myself saying "yes, but...!" But, to be fair overall, I did seriously consider Garber's views and that surely can't be a bad thing.

There seem to be a few oddities going on - a few dates that didn't look right and Robert Brackenbury written variously as Roger Blackenbury! A think a key piece that was missing was the marriage negotiations with Portugal for both Richard III and Elizabeth of York - this surely sheds a different light on some of Garber's conclusions? I suppose my main quibble is that I by no means share the authors degree of probability that the bones in Westminster Abbey are those of the two princes - for starters, we don't know if these are the same bones referred to in the written account of the discovery of bones, they are actually where Thomas More said they were NOT (even if you can take any of More's supposed work on trust) and we don't know if they are the right period (there's no actual evidence for the supposed pieces of velvet) or even if they are male or female! Further analysis of these remains would answer at least some of these questions, so it puzzles me why the authorities won't allow it - it's not precisely disturbing a royal tomb, is it?

Overall, this isn't a bad book, but I do think that Annette Carson's 'Small Guide to the Great Debate' probably covers the same sort of ground rather better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unambiguous and well thought out, 13 Dec. 2013

Speculation as to the Princes' fate has forever existed, and with the discovery of their Uncle's body under the car park in Leicester, the conspiracy theories are bound to be rekindled once more. Garber has accurately presented the facts, assessed them in the logical way we would expect of any criminal investigation, and drawn conclusions from what we know. Hard as it is not to get caught up in endless webs of speculation for which there are no solid supporting facts, Garber succeeds in avoiding the bulk of this, and having no pre-existing sympathies with any side of the argument, he achieves a true methodical analysis.

If you'd like to know more about the now infamous Princes in the Tower story, then this is an excellent place to start. It is refreshingly unbiased and nonfictional; whilst Garber does draw his own final conclusion as to where the guilt may lie, the reader feels armed with enough information to form a base of their own opinions, and reading this book will allow you to follow some of the other stories by doing further research on the numerous influential and colourful characters involved.

We can only hope that one day permission will be granted for the collection of valuable evidence, although this certainly seems unlikely to occur in our own lifetimes. Without it, this book is about the best hope we have of understanding the evidence that is available, as incomplete as it may be.

Garber states both at the beginning and the end of this book that it will probably be a one-off publication. Garber if you're reading this, please reconsider - there are so many other unsolved mysteries that would benefit from your structured and unbiased approach!

The only reason I gave this 4 stars not 5 is because any future publications would benefit from better proof reading, the amount of errors do the book an injustice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting theory!, 13 Jan. 2014
Mrs. J. R. Larner "JetBlack" (Rayleigh, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Without giving anything away, this book casts an entirely new light on the events of 1483 and the disappearance of the "Princes in the Tower". The author scrutinises all the usual suspects (and a few new ones!) and comes to a rather surprising conclusion! I'm not sure how valid his arguments are as he obviously has little concrete evidence to go on, but he uses modern detective methods to reach his personal opinion. Interesting and different

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 9 May 2014
I liked this story very much. After reading this story i now believe Richard the 111 was not the one to murder the two princes. my opinion but for you to read the book and see what you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Facts and nothing but the Facts, 13 Jan. 2014
Really enjoyed this book. It simply presented the known facts, no thrills or frills ! It made for a very interesting read and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the story of the two Princes but doesn't want to read endless pages of conjecture and prose. If you want the story in a logical and factual presentation then this is the book for you...enjoy

1.0 out of 5 stars no thanks, 14 Dec. 2013
avid reader (Lancs., England.) - See all my reviews
For a retired policeman he didn't delve far beyond the traditional stuff. It is not at all certain Hastings was executed straight from the meeting or that Richard courted Elizabeth of York. Indeed, the one thing that stands out in all the talk about this period is that Richard and Anne had that rare thing in their circles, a love match. I wouldn't have this guy investigating my insurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold case reopened the princes in the tower, 29 Jun. 2014
A very enjoyable read, after having spent a hour in the tower trying to work out who did it I wish I had of read this first

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading, 29 Jun. 2014
Read in a morning this book gives some interesting theories about the prince's and what happened.I would recommend reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 27 Jun. 2014
M. Chana (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Really enjoyed this short read. Pointed at some figures that wouldn't normally be singled out for murdering the princes in the tower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 21 Jun. 2014
I have read quite a few books on the middle ages which have covered Richard the thirds ancestors, the Plantagenet family. I have read several books on Richard the third since the confirmation of the skeleton in the car park. I was left in a mental daze as most books give conflicting information as to the events following the death of Edward the fourth.
I was relieved to find that your verdict on the available evidence was so close to my assessment.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your first book and hope that you my look at another crime from the past in the future