5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the Film

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Love the OST but Bad quality of the CD. Playing is interrupted continuously
Published 6 days ago by F. Breton

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the Film, 5 May 2014
Don't get me wrong, The SLWM is a fine film, uplifting with great cinematography. The soundtrack is just better. I've not come across these tracks from Jose Gonzalez before, maybe they will be on a future release, but they are worth the price of this soundtrack alone. Absolutely fantastic and inspirational tracks with that ever-present dreamy quality. The support tracks are just as good and give me some new avenues in music to explore.

This CD makes for either great background music or a boot up the proverbial when you are looking for a reason to better yourself. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of indie music for outstanding film, 6 Jan 2014
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I saw "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" in the theatre recently and made a mental note to myself to check out the soundtrack, as the music plays prominently in the movie and I really enjoyed what I heard.

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: Music From and Inspired by the Motion Picture: (12 tracks; 50 min.) contains a lot of music that is played in the movie, and some that isn't. This collection kicks off with Junip's Jose Gonzalez' epic-sounding "Step Out", which appears several times in the movie and really is the unofficial anthem/theme song of the movie. Gonzalez later returns with a beautifully pensive "Stay Alive", and then with the John Lennon cover "Dream #9", which actually does not play in the movie. Given the huge role that Iceland plays in the movie, it's only natural that Icelandic band Of Monsters And Men is on the soundtrack, here with the acoustic-rooted "Dirty Paws" (the opening track of their outstanding debut album "My Head Is An Animal"). Gonzalez' full band, Sweden's Junip, contributes 2 songs, "Far Away" and "Don't Let It Pass". San Fran-indie band Rogue Wave also contributes 2 songs, the dreamy "Lake Michigan" and the intimate "The Ravens & The Wolves". Towards the very end, we get the song that appears in a key moment of the movie (when Walter, stuck in Greenland, is debating his next move and out of the blue in a dream sequence Cheryl, the woman he has a crush on, appears and plays David Bowie's "Space Oddity" at a karaoke bar). The song then shifts over to Bowie's original version. It appears here as "Space Oddity (Mitty Mix (feat. Kristin Wiig)". This collection also contains 2 further covers, Jack Johnson's take on Barry Manilow's "Escape (The Pina Colada Song), which plays during the closing credits of the movie (a couple of lines are sung in the movie during a hilarious moment), and Grace Mitchell's take on Hall & Oates' "Maneater", which plays as elevator music in the movie--the Grace Mitchell cover does not play in the movie. Great collection all around!

Couple of words as to the film: the film is epic in scope, and eye-candy from start to finish, with some astonishing visuals, in particular when the movie is set in Greenland and Iceland. In my mind, the film is as much a travelogue as it is an emotional story (where it also very much succeeds). I was pleasantly surprised by the film, as it turned out to be just as good as the trailer made me think it would.

Bottom line: "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", both the soundtrack and the movie, is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the film partly because of the music which complimented ..., 29 Jun 2014
I enjoyed the film partly because of the music which complimented it very well. I particularly liked the cover versions of some blasts from the past. They brought back some good memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars but fell in love with the music, 28 Jun 2014
John. A. (Manchester, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Film was o.k. but fell in love with the music, so had to have this c.d.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Jun 2014
So gorgeous & relaxing! Buy without hesitation! I've since used this to discover new music by the artists which I love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't top listening to it..., 31 May 2014
Really mellow, loved the film and knew I needed this as soon as I finished watching... If you like Jose Gonzales/Junip then buy it, all the other songs sit well alongside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb movie and score, 11 May 2014
We watched the movie, loved it, and bought the music. We loved that too, thoroughly recommend both, a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Stiller in a serious role....and it works !!!, 11 May 2014
Ive never been a fan of Ben Stiller, so it took so encouragement for me to see this film...however its not his usual role and I can now quite honestly say this is my favourite film of all time.
Fantastic production, great soundtrack.......has renewed my love in music not made by people who don't know that trousers can be worn up to the waist. Check out the Bowie track...classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars mellow and uplifting, 10 Mar 2014
There's not a song on this album I don't enjoy. Love it. If you enjoyed the film I am sure you will like this album

4.0 out of 5 stars doesnt come in a proper case!, 11 Feb 2014
Brilliant cd, just annoyed that for the price its not even in a proper case, did l say annoyed, yep! Rant over.
Cant fault the music though and thats really all its about.