4.0 out of 5 stars Great 70s soundtrack for outstanding film
I recently saw "American Hustle" in the theatre, and made a mental note to myself to check out the soundtrack, as the music plays prominently in the film.

Published 8 months ago by Paul Allaer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but like the film, it won't change your life.
This cd has a handful of great tracks from Donna Summer, ELO, Duke Ellington, Wings & America. I went to see the film at the cinema and felt very disappointed. It's full of great things including the soundtrack but overall was a letdown. I've not got into the other songs and my tenancy at the moment is to skip!
Published 1 month ago by Mr. E. A. Dobson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 70s soundtrack for outstanding film, 23 Dec 2013
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)

"American Hustle: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (15 tracks; 55 min.) is chock-full of excellent songs from the 1970s, some of them very well known (and deemed "classics") and others not so much (and deemed "forgotten nuggets"). First things first: regretably (and for reasons totally unclear to me), the soundtrack does NOT brings the songs in the same order as they are played in the film. Instead, the sequencing seems pretty much entirely random. The soundtrack starts here with Duke Ellington's "Jeep's Blues" (Ellington is a common interest of two of the film's main characters), then we dive straight into Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". One of the most hilarious scenes in "American Hustle" comes late in the film when the character played by Jennifer Lawrence, a 'dumb blond' housewife called Rosalyn, cleans house and sings/dances to Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die, now placed upfront on the soundtrack. Another very memorable scene comes when Bradley Cooper's Richie and Amy Adam's Sydney characters go out on the town and end up dancing at a club to Donna Summers' classic I Feel Love, after which the film shifts to another scene where other characters are singing/dancing along to Tom Jones' Delilah. Sheer delight! America's Horse With No Name, one of the first songs in the film, is buried deep on here. Perhaps the biggest surprise here is the inclusion of ELO's Long Black Road, which is not a 70s song at all (it's from their 2001 Zoom album), but somehow it fits in nicely with the other tunes. Interesting 'bonus' also is the very last track, Irving Montage, a 2 min. orchestral instrumental from composer Danny Elfman who adds incidental music to the film. Long story short: there is a ton of great music here. A bloody shame that for whatever reason the songs are sequenced the way the are. It won't bother you of course, in case you are buying this without having seen the film.

Just a few words on the film: "American Hustle" is another tour de force for director David Russell, after last year's Silver Linings Playbook, and The Fighter the year before that. From the moment the film opens, Russell pulls us in and won't let go until some 2 hours later. At some point in the film it becomes impossible to tell who is manipulating whom, and you'll just let go, smile, and be surprised as the film unfolds. Because of the nature and era of the film, "American Hustle" feels like The Sting-meets-Taxi Driver-meets-The Godfather, just a delight from start to finish, and one of the better films of 2013.

Bottom line: "American Hustle", both the soundtrack and the film, is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but like the film, it won't change your life., 19 July 2014
Mr. E. A. Dobson "dwardstings" (West Yorkshire,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars American Hustle soundtrack, 2 Jun 2014
Absolutely as expected. The movie was good despite the lack of any official awards, the moninations aklone speak volumes. So is the soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant soundtrack to a brilliant film, 22 May 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
Loved this film and one of the main reasons was soundtrack. The CD does not disappoint.

Arrived in one piece and earlier than forecast, so double bonus!

4.0 out of 5 stars MAINLY EXCELLENT, BUT NOT ALL THE TRACKS FROM THE MOVIE, 21 May 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
This is an excellent collection of 70's (mainly) music. I was disappointed that it does not include all the tracks from the movie.
I actually thought the music was the best thing in the movie. The acting was generally very good but the story line was difficult to follow.
Anyway, some great tracks here and I've rediscovered the sheer brilliance of Duke Ellington.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation plus Long Black Road by ELO, 6 May 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
Since hearing Long Black Road by ELO on the radio (thank you Chris Evans), I have been looking for it on CD, it is a great ELO track. However, it was only on Japanese versions of the album Zoom, so 'rare as hens teeth' comes to mind. Then I realised how Chris (if he will allow me to call him Chris) had found it, silly me, it is on a film soundtrack album, so I shelled out, and I am really pleased I did. The compilation is filled with good quality recordings of various music styles and lots of well known artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great soundtrack, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
I would happily say that this is in my top ten favorite soundtrack. I'm unsure why people are complaining about the order there sequenced in. Too much time on their hands. Do yourself a favour and use that time to import them into iTunes, create a play list and switch the order to your liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
I bought this cd for my husband as he is a massive ELO and Jeff Lynne fan. He loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 24 Feb 2014
Mr. R. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
However, there was one track that was in the film but was missing off the CD and that was by Black Sabbath and was called 'If you don't know me by now'. I was quite disappointed as one of the reason I bought the CD was because I wanted that track to be on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Audio CD)
Like many others before me , I thoroughly enjoyed the film and made a mental note to buy the soundtrack as soon as possible because it was so evocative of my teenage years . However, I was disappointed to note that the CD does not contain those much-loved but underrated classics from Steely Dan and Todd Rundgren. How does Jeff Lynne get THREE songs in the playlist ? And why do they have to mess around with the order that they played in the film ? Not exactly a fair representation....