5.0 out of 5 stars More Please
For some reason I thought this was a trilogy and having tried out the first book raced out and bought the remaining two and read at speed! Now I am just waiting (not very patiently) for the next installment. Brilliant story, very well crafted and suitable for all ages.
Published on 1 Feb. 2013 by Impatient follower

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
This was badged as a trilogy but the 'final' volume is a disappointment.

It leaves many issues/questions hanging and gives every appearance of the author either having got bored or run out of steam.

It is crying out for a fourth book to close off the otherwise impressive storyline
Published on 29 Oct. 2012 by journo2

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please, 1 Feb. 2013
This is the only author that I regularly check Kindle for to see if there has been another book released. This includes the Inspector Mclean stories which I am also addicted too and would highly recommend.
More - many more - and quickly please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting to know more, 17 Aug. 2012
Mrs. Mary A. Smith "Rainbow Hairy" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The third novel in a really enjoyable series...so far. The characters are well crafted, both dragon and human. Intriguing story and it has left me keen to know when the next part of the series will be coming! Soon I hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant wait for the next one!, 2 Sept. 2012
Another great book by James Oswald. I found this one a bit slow at the start but it picked up towards the middle and, as with all of James' other books, I could not put it down. The circus part was extremely moving - I was almost in tears at one particular part. Having also recently finished the Inspector McLean novels, James Oswald is definitely one of my top 3 authors. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars another triumph, 8 May 2013
I read this and the 2 preceding volumes one after the other, obsessively, having my leg in plaster for weeks. Like other readers I was under the impression that I was embroiled in a trilogy and as I progressed was really concerned about how the author was going to resolve everyones problems in the limited 'pages' left and as the book ended with several characters still in mortal danger I have to admit to being disappointed - because the next instalment is not get written, so I will have some time to worry about them. I know that the author is very busy with his Inspector MacLean series (also need to be read - fabulous stuff) but I need the next one James, pleeeease. I would commend a reviewers campaign for 4 instalments - as opposed to 5 so that poor old Benfro and Errol can live more easily and James can get on with his crime thrillers.

I have really enjoyed the story so far, I am engaged with the characters who are well developed and believable (for fantasy, obviously). I found the structure of all volumes of the epic promoted the desire to turn another page. Highly recommended, but if you worry about characters when you are not with them or are generally impatient for resolution it may be worth waiting for the story to be comcluded before starting. Go on James - there is another motivator to complete the series, surely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 Oct. 2012
This was badged as a trilogy but the 'final' volume is a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A flight of fancy, 3 Feb. 2013
I bough this after reading and enjoying the Inspector McLean series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
When I first started reading this, I was a bit surprised at the change in genre and unsure if I wanted to be in a world of dragons. However, I was soon captivated as to what was going to happen to the dragon & his human counterpart. A bit slow in places but overall the characters were captivating. I have read all the others in this series, The Rose Cord and Dreamwalker, can't remember which one came first, would have liked a conclusion after book 3 but will be looking forward to the 4th book when Mr Oswald completes it.
A good read for those who want to be totally immersed in another world. Suitable for adults and younger ( 10 + years ) readers alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have concluded here., 28 Aug. 2014
G. Wallace - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golden Cage: The Ballad of Sir Benfro Book Three (The Ballad of Sir Benfro Series 3) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this series because it looked to be a little different and Book 3 because I assumed (wrongly) that it would be the conclusion. It isn't and although these books aren't bad - a bit slow but believable, if you can say that about Fantasy - I don't see that another one in the series will contribute anything new. Someone else put it perfectly: readers wander away feeling they have had more than enough. There is a tendency for characters who march on past their sell-by date to become caricatures of themselves - to tread the same ground, growing more stale with each step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fantasy series!!, 20 Feb. 2013
jane barinov (southampton UK) - See all my reviews
Having read James Oswalds gritty detective books I wanted to try this series too, two totally different types of writing and both accomplished with such style.
This is the third book in the Sir Benfro series and they have me in there with them, so much so that I'm hoping that a fourth is being written right now! This is a different slant on dragons from anything I've read before, I love the idea of the lines and the grym, excellent reads and I personally think they'd make fabulous film! Thank you James for keeping me entertained for the last few months!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impatient for the next book in the series, 11 Dec. 2012
I almost wish I had not discovered James Oswald until this series had been written as I am very impatient to read more! I highly recommend all the books in this and in the Edinburgh based Detective Inspector McLean series.
Download his books, you will not regret it, he has certainly become one of my favourite authors.
The Golden Cage has parts which will move you to tears, particularly the Circus chapters. I was unable to put it down and as I have already said very impatient to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Film material, 8 Oct. 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy having found Oswald through his other writings. He created a believable, fantasy land and heroic figures that engage in magical intrigue. The magic concepts were original and exciting. The 'good guys' display a range of (human) frailties and are easy to warm to. Though this book is not in the league of Lord of the Ring or Watership Down, I can see it making a wonderful film that children and young adults would adore.