5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit at its Best
Published 5 months ago by Paulus

3.0 out of 5 stars Tennis romance.
I really enjoyed this book, it was light reading which at this moment in time was exactly what I needed. I would recommend it for anyone who wanted something enjoyable which they didn't need to concentrate on too much.
Published 4 months ago by Marie Cornish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit at its Best, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
You don't have to be a fan of Wimbledon or even tennis generally to enjoy this book. I'm not and I did. Ok, its a common theme of a girl stuck with a louse of a boyfriend and a much better chance in the offing, with all the usual doubts and setbacks thrown in. But that's typical chick lit and I suppose it's the getting there that entertains us, even though the end is never in doubt. That said, this book stands apart for a number of reasons. Firstly it is well paced as well as well written. Problems are solved in a reasonable time rather than dragging through endless chapters, as is often the case so you end up wondering if anyone can really be that stupid or indecisive . There is sex but the reader doesn't have to wade through umpteen pages of detailed eroticism each time, which many writers these days seem to feel is necessary but which I personally find boring. There are also a few unexpected surprises to keep you interested to the end. And although the main characters are tennis professionals and all the action takes place during Wimbledon, there are not endless descriptions of matches or technical jargon. Finally, the Kindle version is virtually flawless. Well worth the current selling price of 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars After Wimbledon by Jennifer Gilby Roberts, 24 Aug 2014
Caroline (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
After Wimbledon is a light, refreshing romance mixed with a dash of quirky and fun instances. Lucy Bennett’s career and love life could be falling down around her or she could be starting a new life with the man of her dreams. She has the whole duration of the Tennis World Championships to find out how she really feels towards her tennis career and her current boyfriend. But how will it all end?

The story follows British tennis player, Lucy Bennett, as she considers this year to be her last professional year at Wimbledon. She feels that she has reached as far as she can at the age of 28. She begins thinking of her future and longs to settle down and have a family of her own. The only problem Lucy faces is that her current boyfriend, American tennis ace Joe Harker, doesn’t share her desires but preferring to stay in the game. Oh, and her parents (especially her mother) feels that she will be throwing her career away far too early and her mum possibly longs to relive her own tennis dreams through her daughter!

I’m sure many of us have felt the need to go down our own path, even when against our parents’ wishes. At this point you tend to question whether what you are doing is right or wrong and at times there is a lingering pang of guilt. But you must do what feels right for you and this is exactly where Lucy is at.

As After Wimbledon focuses mostly on Lucy, the reader can understand her actions and empathise with her emotions, thus making Lucy a realistic and likeable character. Lucy is like any of us with her indecisiveness and at times she does ‘put her foot in it’ and has the potential to cause a scene. However, she also has guts and after much deliberation at times she does begin to stand up to those around her. Needless to say that I do love Lucy’s character!

To mash Lucy’s thoughts around even more are the unexpected encounters she has with Joe’s tennis rival, New Zealander Sam Pennington. Sam is the No. 1 and hopes to win it for England this time round. Lucy has always had a crush on him and admired him from afar and so when she meets him by chance at her parents’ tennis club they begin talking and Lucy lets slip some of her thoughts. Sam is patient, caring and honourable as well as being a great listener. After accidentally meeting up with Sam a number of times it becomes clear that these two certainly have chemistry, but then Lucy also has Joe!

Joe had initially dismissed Lucy’s idea of settling down, not really believing it. As time goes on he realises she meant it and his attitude towards her becomes increasingly arrogant and threatening, especially when he sees her support for Sam – with Sam playing for Britain and all, as well as a closeness between Lucy and Sam is reported in the media. Is Joe’s reaction an insight into his true nature or is he jealous and hopes to keep Lucy for himself?!

There is a great build up of momentum and suspense during both Lucy’s love life and action on the courts. Not being a huge tennis follower I was surprised how Roberts had written the on court scenes in a manner that was so easy to follow and gave the reader the chance to feel the excitement and tension. There were also intimate moments that were quite descriptive, making it feel more real, although towards the end I found myself wanting more deeper scenes like there previously had been.

With action on the courts, two boyfriends to choose from, pressure from the media, helping her parents sort out their lives and finally deciding whether or not to stay in professional tennis Lucy really has her mind buzzing! But which way will she finally go? With many more years still left she could make the most of her career before retiring from tennis! And is it worth losing the man she’s had for years to settle with someone new when it may not work out? She would surely be alone then. And so After Wimbledon explores Lucy’s options and maybe you can decide whether or not she chooses the right one!!

A copy of After Wimbledon was provided by the author in return for an honest and fair review.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!, 31 July 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Paperback)
After Wimbledon
Review:
I was so excited to read this book and it’s my first review for chicksthatread, so I hope you like it.

This is the story of Lucy Bennet, 28. She is a tennis pro and the book starts just before the beginning of Wimbledon, one of the Grand Slam tournaments. I’m a big tennis fan, so I was really happy about the theme and the surroundings.

Lucy has played professionally for 12 years now and is thinking about retiring and starting as a coach at her club. Or should I rather say her family’s club. Her parents, especially her mother doesn’t seem so happy about that.

Lucy is in a relationship with Joe Harker, also a tennis pro. Their relationship is not what you call a normal one though ;) Not telling you more here, find out for yourselves…

Then there is Sam Pennington, Joe’s arch-rival. Lucy’s had a crush on him for years, but she was too shy about it. Sam plays for Lucy’s club as well and guess what? He wants to retire as well and he announces that just before the tournaments starts.

Sam and Lucy start talking more and more and they get along really well. They were drawn to each other and I loved how Jennifer describes all these scenes, where their relationship developed. The most important thing: They want the same things in life, which I think is so sweet.

Now let’s talk about the tournament a little bit. The atmosphere was great and I as a reader felt so close to all of it. The matches, the press conferences and everything what happened around it. Jennifer found a perfect vivid and real way to put this into the story. Not only the tournament, but also Lucy’s feelings and emotions were included beautifully and very carefully. I could relate to Lucy all the way. Throughout the story she had to figure out what she wanted and she went through a range of emotions. She had to deal with the problems of her parents, figure out her feelings and think about her future. I was glad she had her best friend Adrienne there. And then Sam was there for Lucy all the time as well, so sweet and caring. And also very patient since he waited for her to finish things with Joe…. I was actually really impatient, I couldn’t understand why she waited that long, because Joe is just… Well, let’s just say, I didn’t like him at all.

Some articles in the press bring some more drama and misunderstandings into this fabulous and entertaining story. We find out more about both their pasts and families. It was so interesting to find out more and I just wanted them to clear everything and find a way to be together, cause Lucy and Sam are just the cutest couple ever!

Be prepared for a light hearted, funny, entertaining, gripping, vivid, sparkly and awesome story! I couldn’t put the book down and I think it’s the perfect mixture love, drama, tennis and entertainment. A must read, which is perfect for summer!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicks That Read Reviewer Simona Elena, Reviews After Wimbledon! 5/5 5*****, 19 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars a sumptuous summer read, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
Are you still feeling bereft because Wimbledon is over? Then this gorgeous little romance is the perfect way to keep your tennis fever burning.

Lucy Bennett has never won Wimbledon, and although the hopes of Britain rest on her, she doesn’t believe she ever will. Come to think of it, is her heart really in it anymore? And is it still with her boyfriend of four years, the Men’s number two seed, Joe Harker? Was it ever? In fact, where on earth is her heart? Surely not with Joe’s handsome rival Sam Pennington…

Lucy has a tough time battling with thoughts of retirement and the lack of support from her tennis pro mother as well as having to figure out the implications of some confusing emotions. But she has wonderful friends who’ll help her through as well as an ability to smash her frustration out on the tennis court. But as she finds herself getting closer to Sam, Joe’s aggressive side starts to make a nuisance of itself, so why can’t she just leave him?

After Wimbledon is a sumptuous summer read that will delight everyone, even those who aren’t into their tennis. Aside from some formatting issues on my Kindle edition, I was won over game, set and match. Quick, fun and fuzzy as a yellow tennis ball, it’s a bundle of joy that will have you sighing over your strawberries and cream.

Review by: Nikki Mason on behalf of BestChickLit.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
This book is not my normal thing but I have to say I enjoyed it. I liked the characters and I thought the whole thing worked as an idea. I'm not a tennis fan but I didn't feel bogged down by the tennis bits, they were intrinsic to the story and worked for me. If your looking for a holiday read then this book fits the bill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book.

Easy book to pick up and you don't need to be a fan of tennis either, which was a relief.

Good story line and great characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
Very good book I felt as though I was actually at Wimbledon. Have recommended it to several of my friiends

5.0 out of 5 stars After Wimbledon, 27 Aug 2014
J. M. Clare "Josy" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable read, a little expected but still good. I wanted something light and easy after reading some heavy going thriller murder mystery books. This hit the spot, I loved how I actually felt I was watching a match the description of Wimbledon courts and also the games will look for more of the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 2 July 2014
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After Wimbledon (Kindle Edition)
Jennifer was one of the first people to follow and interact with me on Twitter when I started my blog and is an incredibly lovely and generous person. She is also a big supporter of bloggers on Twitter. I really wanted to read her books but had a TBR mountain, I still do but I won her books through a giveaway and I love Wimbledon so managed to read this book in between games or 'after Wimbledon' had finished for the day. I went into it hoping it would be as good as I wanted it to be and luckily, it was!

I was really looking forward to the book given its subject matter and also because of some of the great reviews I read beforehand. After finishing this book I can safely say it was fantastic and I loved it. As with my other favourite genre, crime fiction, chick lit is very overcrowded, it takes a talented author to stand out. Jennifer's writing style is definitely her own, she has a very distinctive style of writing and it is very funny. We all love a bit of humour in chick lit and Jennifer does it brilliantly. Subtle at times and obvious in others it was great. Alongside the humour though we look for a good story and this book definitely has that. I thought some sentences were quite short though and perhaps commas could have been used instead.

You don't need to be a tennis fan to enjoy the book, it's just the setting of the book after all. However it does play a big role in the book. Each chapter bar one or two is set on each day at Wimbledon, as a fan of short chapters I struggled to put the book down as I can't put a book down mid-chapter and some of the ones here were quite long. I loved our main character Lucy. Written in the first person which I love in chick lit, she came across as a very likeable character. Not perfect by any means but I did feel for her throughout the book, especially the scenes with her horrible mother and even worse boyfriend, tennis obsessed fellow player Joe. I loved Lucy's personality, she could be quite sarcastic and cynical at times and I loved that. Joe is particularly nasty throughout the book, he's the sort of person that phones Lucy up asking if he can come round for sex and then not bothering when she refuses. And her mother is living her life through Lucy after she gave up her career to have a baby. Hardly Lucy's fault her mum got pregnant and had a baby. I absolutely despise parents like this.

As with most chick lit it's always fairly obvious where the story is going to go, in this case Lucy is having doubts over Joe and is developing feelings for his rival Sam. However it's the journey to the end that is most enjoyable and Lucy faces quite a few obstacles along the way. Full of hilarity but touching moments too this was a hugely enjoyable read for me and perfect to read alongside one of the highlights of the year, Wimbledon itself. As someone who gets quite involved watching the game (I write this review with no voice after Murray/Dimitrov) I found myself supporting the players in this book and wanting them to win and screaming at the book when things didn't go my way! Jennifer definitely throws a few surprises in here and some things go the way I wasn't expecting. With a very satisfying ending I can't reccommend this book more. Just brilliant. It's also a relatively short read too, only 260 or so pages so I flew through it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›