Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 5 January 2014
This has an interesting premise but I did find the writing style rather turgid. Also the characters were not that likeable nor particularly distinguishable for that matter, especially the government types.

For a book that was described as 'all action all the way' there wasn't that much action, especially since our hero spent much of his time being led around in handcuffs and dumped into holding areas. There were quite a few psychotropic trips described and I did become a little bored with the repetitiveness (lizards, insects crawling up walls, a giant eye in the sky, etc. etc.)

Strangely enough, the book got really interesting right towards the end (epilogue - 96%) and I'd have liked to read more of what happened in the 'new world order' with the resistance movement. I would have preferred much more of that and far less of the earlier detail.

As for spelling/grammar, there were a number of typos but not too many to distract. The one thing that particularly grated was the irritating north American habit of missing 'of' after 'couple', e.g.
"a couple hours ago", "we shot a couple guards", "a couple hundred of them", "he made a couple calls". This happened every couple OF pages or so.
on 2 January 2014
Would definitely recommend a read. A captivating read which is packed with action despite a slow start. Nicely set up for a sequel, but also self-contained with a sufficient ending.
on 4 January 2014
I read this in a single go, finishing at 2am...
Downloaded for free i hadnt anticipated how good a read this was going to be.
The most awesome twists and turns, with a fabulous ending to it. If you read one book this year, make it this one
on 7 January 2014
...and part zombie apocalypse. I wasn't expecting that, and those types of novels I normally avoid. The blurb is deceiving, to be honest. It isn't a techno thriller, there's no real technology. There's no adventure, because the heroes are locked up or handcuffed most of the time. It isn't a conspiracy theory either, they really are out to get mankind. There are a lot of "trips" and a lot of people acting weirdly, so it's closer to the description of zombie apocalypse.

When the first "infection" occurs, I found myself screaming at the book "Get on with it!" as there were pages and pages of descriptions of lizards and bats seen during the main character's "trip", which had no relation to the plot. It got incredibly boring. The heroes themselves are toadying wimps really, allowing all manner of horror to come upon them for fear of the hierarchy, when early on they should have adopted the maxim of "Trust No-one" - especially their bosses. You begin to fear there is no hope for mankind as the whole system falls apart, but, no, there is a way out - and as a previous reviewer said, the "epilogue" holds a lot more promise than the whole novel, and the hero has actually grown some, albeit a bit late, frankly.

The ending just about drags it out of 1 star territory for me, otherwise, this isn't really my genre, but I think this is far from being the best of its kind.
on 27 December 2013
Standard "Illuminati" releases psychotropic virus that goes out of control. I really did not enjoy this book, it was extremely hard to read, flitting between governmental characters who had no real character and then descending into random "oh we've lost our mind due to the drug" trances, that don't add anything to the story.

Not a good book at all.
on 12 April 2014
I enjoyed this book and wasn't actually expecting much from it as I thought I would give it a try when it was on the free books list. I am certainly not disappointed with my choice.

When I started it I thought it would follow the usual well trodden thriller route but this went in a very different direction. The story remained interesting and hooked me to the very end and the characters were believable and engaging throughout the book. The writing was also very good and on the whole I was very impressed with this book.

I would definitely read more from this author and would also like to see how the characters and his world progresses in future books.

Recommended from me, well worth reading.
on 4 February 2014
This was a most enjoyable adventure; unlike some others I didn't think the pacing was a problem, the events of a couple of days at the beginning were narrated in great detail, but that was inherent in the plot. It had just the right mix of unexpected events coupled with a plausible evolution of the situation, without too much reliance on technological miracles (beyond the MacGuffin of the yarn, of course) or coincidences that were unbelievable. The suspense was maintained right up to the last chapter, and I'd be very interested if there was a sequel, too. In short, recommended.
on 17 December 2012
This is the second of Carson's books I've read. Well, I say read but I didn't quite finish it. His writing style is different and, in places, hard work. I really enjoyed Hot Wire but struggled with Phase Four and abandoned it towards the end. The storyline is original and interesting but in the end it just bcame too much
on 31 January 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is very well written and keeps you interested from cover to cover. I couldn't put it down - read it in three sittings!
on 3 February 2014
It Is one of those apocalyptic, terrorist attack kind of books involving CIA, FBI and several other shadowy organisations releasing some kind of neurotoxin on the USA.

Quite frankly I'm finding it heavy going, there doesn't seem to be any one character that is believable or even likeable to focus on and generally far too many people are being mentioned, who crop up for a few pages and then disappear. I'm actually over half way through and still don't know the point of it all!