5.0 out of 5 stars 40w/8amp charging power, great for travelling
On travels you can end up with a lot of chargers and requirements for plug sockets. Often hotel rooms only have 2 free and often you only have a few hours before setting off again or going for a meal. Given almost everything requires a daily recharge you can struggle to priorities what to charge first...

This 40w/8amp/5usb unit is great as it can really charge...
Published 3 months ago by Mike I

3.0 out of 5 stars It didnt last long
Published 2 months ago by R. Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars 40w/8amp charging power, great for travelling, 4 April 2014
This review is from: AnkerŪ 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, Mini, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, 3, Tab 4, 3, 2, Pro, HTC One (M8), Google Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, External Battery, PS Vita, Gopro and more (Black) (Electronics)

This 40w/8amp/5usb unit is great as it can really charge a collection of devices quickly without the need for 4+ plug sockets/chargers. You still require USB cables but still its a significant weight reduction ,think airline carry-on luggage. I can however use all the these cables for the hire car and the 2 USB cig charger but that's another story...

Using my recent travel as an example, utterly bored at the airport we made use of these extensively: Samsung Galaxy note 3, Blackberry 9900, Hawuei MiFI, Ipad Air, Iphone 4s and an ipod Nano, Anker 6000mah battery.[which is roughly 2amp,1amp,1amp,2amp,1amp,1amp,1amp respectively].

It is able to charge the phones quick enough that shortly after hotel check-in we can leave to explore while the larger items(Anker battery,Ipad) have already got a head start. With the phones disconnected all the other items can be charging away ready for our return and the swapping back to the mobiles ready for the next day of abuse.

This newer unit doesn't require certain high-draw items plugged into specific usb sockets as its IQ is apparently able to balance the load. I believe the only aesthetic difference between this model and the last is there no labels on the USB ports to state "Ipad 2.1"/"Android" etc.
This load balancing makes it far more flexible and able to charge items more efficiently saving you time. I also think this makes it more future proof as its able to charge more than one device over 2amp which is becoming more common.

This highest load I've tried is Galaxy note 3, Ipad Air, HP Touchpad, Blackberry playbook and this should result in 8amp. After 30mins it was only slightly warm and neither picky Ipad/Touchpad/playbook complained.

It is compact(card/cig packet) and is reassuringly sturdy and heavy(155grams without cables).
The power lead it comes with is a simple 1.5m UK plug to figure of eight(C7) and comes with a neat velcro cable tidy. I don't think I will ever need 1.5m so I trimmed it down to 30cm(easily bought).

This unit can apparently handle 110-240v input voltage so you could swap the UK-to-Fig.8 cable for a US or EU-to-fig.8 saving you the trouble of needing a bulky adapter when overseas (e.g. LINDY US Mains Cable - 2 Pin Plug to Figure 8 Connector 2m ). I will test this in a few weeks time and report if not. ** updated worked great in the USA with is combo **
if you do not want a cable at all and forgive a protruding shape then this might be a good addon item Uk 250V 3A Fused 3 Pin Plug to Figure Of Eight C7 Through Adapter

A good time and space saver if you require MORE than two high output chargers in your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 5 Jun 2014
2 iPads, 2 phones and Fitbit device all charging at the same time. Plugged in at night and all fully charged in the morning. I'm sure it doesn't take all night, but I don't care. It does away with 5 chargers and 4 mains sockets are freed up for other uses. It's definitely going on holiday with us and because it is multi voltage, it will work in the USA. Maybe with the lower voltage it will be a bit slower, but overnight charging should work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Charger, 16 July 2014
I've had this charger short while now and it is amazing. So much so, I think I'll treat myself to another at Christmas!

The price point is spot on. It has a really nice finish to it. The product photo makes the item look bigger than what it really is. Upon opening, it's really quite dinky indeed and is as light as a feather.

I find the (UK) power cord is quite "stiff" (maintain all it's folds) and once attached it "takes charge" of the unit. In this case, I would liked to have seen a (metal type) stabilising stand, rubberised feet or something else to keep the unit under control. Alternatively, I suppose one could use a "looser", well used, mains cable.

I've been charging a Nexus 7, numerous Anker Astros (6000mAh ~ 15000mAh) and an iPod all at the same time.
The charger/unit is completely silent during usage - no humming, buzzing or high pitch squeals. Nothing at all.

Having 5 ports is most convenient as you only occupy 1 mains wall socket rather than hogging up to 5 around a room or house.

If you're considering one of these, I can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver for Travelers ..., 23 Feb 2014
I am a big fan of this product ... for some one who has to carry a couple of phones and a tablet this saves me from carrying separate chargers for every item. All I need now is this handy device which is smaller than an iPhone and charging cables. PowerIQ technology present in Anker products means multiple items charge at full speed & at the same time as well.

I must also add that I like the soft touch coating on the product. I also use AnkerŪ 2nd Gen Astro2 9000mAh (3A Output) External Battery which has the same exterior texture. It is a matter of personal preference but little details like these differentiate a product from competition.

Detachable standard power cord (which don't cost much) means that you can get different cords if you travel internationally and don't need to get converters. I used it successfully with a power cord with a European plug which means even less packing.

I must also add that I didn't face any noise problems that some of the reviewers mentioned. It is totally quiet. You wouldn't even notice it if you use it in the bedroom.

It is a wise spend if you are thinking about it. For individual chargers costing around Ģ15 & different Amp requirements for each gadget this device will serve you well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 16 July 2014
A useful little gadget which does exactly what it says on the box. It's a neat, compact design that feels robust and well made. The supplied power cable is a good length (1m approx). Charging wise I have had 2 iPhones, iPad, rechargeable battery and kindle all plugged in with no issues and little heat generated. Not having to use a specific port for high power items is useful.

As other reviews have mentioned the device does emit a high pitched noise when plugged in. It will depend on how sensitive your hearing is as to how this will effect you. If it was placed on a bedside table for example I suspect you would be disturbed when trying to sleep. I have mine positioned approx 1.5 metres from the head of the bed and do not find it an issue. Without the noise it would be a 5 star review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good product, 19 July 2014
Pretty good product. unfortunately some devices have different usb cables to other devices meaning that you will need to follow Ankers recommendation and use the correct cable for each device.

I believe there are charge only cables and data cables, there are also cables with crossed data lines, some that are rated at 0.5a and some that are rated higher. I find that the cable for my LG tablet works on my G2 phone and also Galaxy S4 phone, Actually the charging should always work, it may just take a lot longer if you have an incorrect cable.

Happy with the device though, well made, rubberised cover. I ust leave it plugged in 24/7 (as it draws almost no power until you connect a device)..Makes charge devices overnight a breeze. Really handy for travelling too

3.0 out of 5 stars It didnt last long, 13 May 2014
R. Neal "Richy" (UK) - See all my reviews
I received this and as ive come to expect from Anker products it appears well made. Its a nice little compact unit which sits at the back of my desk and has removed several chargers and the need for an extension to be plugged into the mains. My only disappointment is that after a while one of the ports has stopped working altogether so im going to have to return it. Im hoping this is just a defective unit.

Update : Anker have contacted me shortly after writing this review to arrange a replacement unit which to me is outstanding customer service. Ill update the review once ive tested the replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 Feb 2014
I love this charger. I particularly like the fact it is nicely styled and seems to have separate microchips to control the voltage etc. on each output, so no having to find the appropriate holes to get the fastest charge.

But here's the thing that really impressed me - its power consumption. I was expecting it to sit there drawing a few watts of power when nothing was plugged in, but not a bit of it! My meter states at idle it uses 0-0.5 watts - the lowest reading it can display (so basically almost nothing). When my iPad mini Retina is plugged in it draws power until it is charged, and drops back to 0-0.5 watts. When I put the screen on, it starts using a few watts, but drops back when screen goes off. I'm delighted! Obviously a big part of that credit goes to Apple and their power design, but it's nice that the charger isn't acting as the weak link.

Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely worked for a day, 19 July 2014
Bought one of these to charge my iPad 3 & iPhone 4, and it lasted a day. Came back, re-read reviews and figured I'd give Anker the benefit of the doubt & order another, as the reviews had been so positive.

The second one lasted for less time than the first. I now have two Ģ20 bricks and no time to return them before I leave the UK. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for 5 port USB charger, 7 May 2014
I use it to charge a Lenovo Miix 2 8" tablet, 9.7" iPad 4, iPhone 4 and HTC mobile phone all at the same time. It charges the iPad quicker than I recall the stock Apple charger doing so.

Reduces clutter at the wall and stops me plugging and unplugging adapters from the wall socket.

"One charger to rule them all..."