5.0 out of 5 stars Great and Accurate Charger
Published 1 month ago by Stow Fresh

5 ports, rapid charge, very compact. Haven't seen the same rapid charge results as some (Sony Xperia Z and Z2) but it's effective at charging and saves space over my Portapow 4 port charger.

initially 5 stars now 1 star only when compared side-by-side with competitor product.

==UPDATE==
Initially worked at a normal pace (not as quick as the...
Published 1 month ago by Erudite

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and Accurate Charger, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, Mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One (M8), Google Nexus 4 5 7 10, External Battery, PS Vita, Gopro and more (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this product to charge our families many electronics..iPads, iPhones, Kindle's, Bluetooth Batteries, Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones, Fitbits, etc. We are currently keeping this on a bookshelf where we keep are electronics or dock them to charge. Please note this item is a little smaller in person than it appears in the picture, I was pleasantly surprised.

Weight 150g
Dimensions 2.28 x 3.58 x 1.04

I have tested this charger with a Kill-A-Watt and a USB power charger. Consumes no power while idle, provides excellent amperage for charging many gadgets.

My test showed this charger always was incredibly accurate and stable providing power to my collection of gadgets, below are my USB power consumption results. I was unable to test this item to see if if could provide a full 40W as advertised (because I don't have enough devices to simultaneously eat up that much power) but I think this item would have no problem charging 5 iPad Airs at the same time.

5.03V .99A iPhone 5S
4.97V / 1.44A iPad Mini
5.01V / 1.04A iPad 1
5.11V/ .3A Jaybird BlueBuds X
5.04V / .84A Kindle Keyboard

Please notice that the 5S maximum charging amperage is 1A and 1.5A for Mini, the Anker 40W is right there charging your devices as fast as possible. This charger charged my wife's 5S from dead 0% to 71% in 1 hour and 23 minutes. The theoretical fasttest possible total charge time for a 5S is 93.6 minutes, at this pace the Anker unit would have charged my wife's 5S in 112 minutes which is incredibly fast and close to the theoretical 93.6 minutes. If the phone was off there is a chance this charger could have charged the phone under 95 minutes.

Excellent Charger. Consider it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 40w/8amp charging power, great for travelling, 4 April 2014
On travels you can end up with a lot of chargers and requirements for plug sockets. Often hotel rooms only have 2 free and often you only have a few hours before setting off again or going for a meal. Given almost everything requires a daily recharge you can struggle to priorities what to charge first...

This 40w/8amp/5usb unit is great as it can really charge a collection of devices quickly without the need for 4+ plug sockets/chargers. You still require USB cables but still its a significant weight reduction ,think airline carry-on luggage. I can however use all the these cables for the hire car and the 2 USB cig charger but that's another story...

Using my recent travel as an example, utterly bored at the airport we made use of these extensively: Samsung Galaxy note 3, Blackberry 9900, Hawuei MiFI, Ipad Air, Iphone 4s and an ipod Nano, Anker 6000mah battery.[which is roughly 2amp,1amp,1amp,2amp,1amp,1amp,1amp respectively].

It is able to charge the phones quick enough that shortly after hotel check-in we can leave to explore while the larger items(Anker battery,Ipad) have already got a head start. With the phones disconnected all the other items can be charging away ready for our return and the swapping back to the mobiles ready for the next day of abuse.

This newer unit doesn't require certain high-draw items plugged into specific usb sockets as its IQ is apparently able to balance the load. I believe the only aesthetic difference between this model and the last is there no labels on the USB ports to state "Ipad 2.1"/"Android" etc.
This load balancing makes it far more flexible and able to charge items more efficiently saving you time. I also think this makes it more future proof as its able to charge more than one device over 2amp which is becoming more common.

This highest load I've tried is Galaxy note 3, Ipad Air, HP Touchpad, Blackberry playbook and this should result in 8amp. After 30mins it was only slightly warm and neither picky Ipad/Touchpad/playbook complained.

It is compact(card/cig packet) and is reassuringly sturdy and heavy(155grams without cables).
The power lead it comes with is a simple 1.5m UK plug to figure of eight(C7) and comes with a neat velcro cable tidy. I don't think I will ever need 1.5m so I trimmed it down to 30cm(easily bought).

This unit can apparently handle 110-240v input voltage so you could swap the UK-to-Fig.8 cable for a US or EU-to-fig.8 saving you the trouble of needing a bulky adapter when overseas (e.g. LINDY US Mains Cable - 2 Pin Plug to Figure 8 Connector 2m ). I will test this in a few weeks time and report if not. ** updated worked great in the USA with is combo **
if you do not want a cable at all and forgive a protruding shape then this might be a good addon item Uk 250V 3A Fused 3 Pin Plug to Figure Of Eight C7 Through Adapter

A good time and space saver if you require MORE than two high output chargers in your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Works well. The recent price drop makes it a no-brainer. If you have more than two USB charges. Buy this!, 27 Aug 2014
Mr. S. Edwards (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
These chargers really do work vefy well. I have now bought two of them.

The largest load they have handled for us so far is 2xNook HD+ (2A each), 1x Nook HD (2A), 1x iPhone5 (1A), 1xiPhon5S (1A)

The Anker unit never got more than very slightly warm. All the tablets and phones charged at full speed.

It also charges our stills camera.

The main benefit is that we save loads of space in the carry-on luggage (we flew Ryanair this summer <shudder>) by not taking the collection of wall-wart charges that would have filled a third of the space in the bag.

Yes you still need the USB cables, but you can use these in hire cars at the destination as well and they don't take up much room.

This unit is about 1cm shorter and slight smaller in the other dimensions than last year's model, which is an added bonus. They are about the same weight.

At home it means there is no need for a 6-gang extension lead when doing the daily overnight charging. So a box of wall-warts are now sitting in the loft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device; mutliple stations from one outlet and charges everything!, 27 July 2014
An excellent device. I have been getting increasingly frustrated trying to find the right charging lead for each of my devices, then trying to match it to the wall adaptor. Some devices (Sony eBook reader; BlackBerry; iPod; iPad, Panasonic camera) are fussy about the charger that you connect to them, often warning that this is not the correct charger (especially after market ones) or that 'charging is not possible with this device.'

When I connect each of the above using the Anker station they happily charge without any fuss. The PowerIQ system balances the power to ensure that the right amount of power is provided to each device, I guess, and it works without the need to check settings or choose the correct outlet. I am using all 5 ports at the moment and each piece of equipment is charging away without any bother.

The unit is smaller than I thought, which is a bonus, and it easily fits discreetly at the back of my black desk. I have even replaced the white Apple leads with black ones (from Amazon Basics) and they blend in perfectly.

I am going to take this with me when I go on holiday because the other advantage is that this uses only one power socket, removing the need for me to constantly swap over chargers for different pieces of equipment.

In fact it is so good that i wish I could find the need to buy another one!

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 ports, robust feel, charges effectively but died inside a week and only ever charged Sony Devices slowly, 29 Aug 2014

==UPDATE==
Initially worked at a normal pace (not as quick as the Swees one I bought to replace it when it went wrong)
Developed a fault (two of the 5 ports stopped working) and never worked properly with my xPeria Z or xPeria Z2 Sony docking stations.
A good price (at £19.99) but failed to deliver functionality.

I would avoid this product if you have Sony Phones that you charge using the magnetic dock port. Charges Sony xPeria Z and Z2 phones at a fair pace only by the usb socket and not the docking station. It did a fair job of charging my iPPhone 5, Sony SmartWatch 2 and MW600.

I would wait until these return issues are ironed out before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful when you find yourself with a pile of gadgets ..., 23 July 2014
Extremely useful when you find yourself with a pile of gadgets all requiring USB charging. Big BUT: if the PowerIQ technology doesn't recognise the device, it can be very slow to charge. It works brilliantly with our phones (Motorola & Samsung), my wife's tablet (Samsung) and assorted Bluetooth peripherals, but takes forever to charge my tablet (Asus).

2.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, compact size, no noise, 1 port dead after using it 10 times, 29 April 2014
I bought few Anker items during my holiday in UK, including this charger.

Like many other reviewers said, it is very compact charger with good build quality. Charges multiple devices easily. Also, so far no high pitched noise that some other reviewers mentioned. Overall I am very happy with this purchase.

I also bought additional EU power cord (C7 Figoure of Eight) for using it at home. Check the link, cord is excellent:

**** Update ************

I bought this charger 4 months ago and after using it on travel (10 days), one of the ports stopped to work.

I like Anker products but obviously they have problem with the quality control. I planned to buy 2 more but after this I doubt I will do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only USB-based charger you will ever need!, 29 Aug 2014
This is a fantastic piece of kit. I've already got a similar unit but it has 6 ports with set current ratings ranging from 2A down to 500mA so you have to choose the most appropriate port and shuffle round as required. That one is now relegated to backup status.

With this unit just use the next free port and the current is supplied as required, it's also more compact and to be honest a lot cooler looking than my old unit. A real boon for anyone (or any family) that has more than a couple of devices, i.e. just about everyone!

Don't even think about it, at less than £20 including p&p this is too good a bargain to miss. I may even get a second one to keep in my car for when I'm away from home.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charging performance degrades over time until it's no longer usable (I bought two of these), 29 Aug 2014
H. Leung - See all my reviews
I've bought two of these at the time (should have just bought one). The concept was great, when we go travelling, one unit can charge multiple devices. The iPad ports were also 2A fast charging. All was well initially but over time strangely the device charging became slower and slower until now it does not charge at all even if using just one port. Then I tried the other one that I bought, EXACTLY the same behaviour. Works great initially, after a couple weeks use its all downhills. It's faster to charge through my old laptop USB than it is through these chargers. Highly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A1 customer services, 25 July 2014
I bought this device a number of months ago and recently the first and fifth ports stopped working. I contacted Anker for help and had a new replacement in my hands within 48hrs.
They were aware of an issue with certain serial numbers and couldn't apologise enough, they didn't even ask for the old one to be returned. Excellent customer service, excellent!
Obviously manufacturing woes occour but Jessica from Anker resolved the situation in a very rapid and curteous manner.