Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 5 December 2013
Just a brief summary of this fantastic DVD Live performance.

1) Floor Jansen is utterly amazing , fantastic voice , stage presence of an Amazonian , never faulted even for the slightest with the lyrics and hit the high spots effortlessly. Nightwish have found a cracker here and really hope she stays around.

2) The song selection is superb as well , although most people will miss tracks like Over the Hills etc they play a large selection of classics and the best of the Imaginaerum album with the three highlights for me been Ghost Love (score) , Storytime and I Want My Tears Back

3) The quality of the actual filming is second to none , the lightshow and the colours used is breathtaking and as good as you will ever see.

However one thing let it down for me.

Memo to the actual person or persons in charge of editing the DVD

Seriously the actual filming of the band and Floor in particular is brilliant , combining the stage lighting to fabulous effect with individual shots of the band playing but for some unknown reason the editor seems to think that a shot of a random individual been held aloft by the rest of the crowd and usually shown been pulled out by security warrants so much video time , watching it from start to finish it really is disappointing how many times they think it's a really 'neat' shot to use time and time again. The actual shots of the crowd though ( I think the Rock in Rio/Iron Maiden was the first to really do this) singing along etc are well done in places , but please in future pack it in with the same crowdsurf shots over and over again ad nauseum.

To finish with this is fantastic and should be bought as soon as possible if your a fan of Nightwish or similar ilk , it really is brilliant , no encore was done which surprised me but not too sure if an actual encore was performed in real life at the concert.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2013
Disc 1 "Showtime":

90+Minutes of the full Nightwish headlining set ,Waken 2013.

Only a few minutes in , its already well clear Floor is just so RIGHT for Nightwish , and equally Floor has found a band so RIGHT for her:. They know it, she knows it, the 80,000 + crowd knows it, you know it. The onstage chemistry , Floor's vocals and stage presence all certainly show it.

Earlier, heavier Nightwish classics fill the opening and closing thirds of the show, linked by a sublime run of tracks from Dark Passion Play and Imaginareum midway -enter new 6th band-member Troy Donockley on pipes and whistles for these.

Sound quality is fine, as mostly is the camera work -there is just one "but": in the editing afterwards, somebody seems to have got more than little carried away with crowd -surfer footage: it's not just how many such cut-aways there are, it's also sometimes WHEN they happen - cutting at just the wrong moment across Floor or Marco or whoever in full flow -that can get kind of irritating.

Crowd-surfer overload aside, this is nevertheless a must -have, both for fans of Nightwish in particular and also equally fans of operatic/symphonic metal or rock in general. And one you might well go-back-to rather often.

Disc 2 "Storytime" (Go to Settings to select English subtitles before you start!):

Main feature:"Please learn the setlist in 48 hours".
At 90+ minutes, this could have been overlong for a "vlog" of any normal tour, but as any fan will already know the "Imaginaerum" tour was to prove anything but.

Anette chose as was her right not to appear or be heard at all, that makes for footage of "her" first half of the tour feeling unavoidably a little weird in places. We get a sense the tour all started out well enough but the band "chemistry" is already slipping downhill awhile before the gig where she is sick and the Kamelot vocalists step in...enter one Floor Jansen to the rescue from half way round the planet !

Both Floor and Troy Donockley ,still "Guest Musicans" when all this footage was shot, are now of course full members of Nightwish, so it has come to serve as a great into to both ...also you can learn from Troy how to say "Uilleann Pipes"... and it's not quite like you spell it!
on 20 December 2013
I thought 'End of an Era' was a live Nightwish DVD that would not be trumped. Then Ms Jansen comes along and blows it out of the water! Here we have a lady can that can do full justice to the whole Nightwish catalogue. I don't want to get into a singer comparison but Floor is my favourite.

I won't give a track by track analysis but two things jumped out.

1) I always skip Romanticide when playing Once. Never liked it. Watching it on this Blu-Ray made me an instant convert.
2) Ghost Love Score is my favourite tune from any band. My words cannot express what Floor brings to this wonderful song or how the hairs on my neck stand up at that ending. Look at official Nightwish Youtube channel to see it.

What really stands out at this concert is how much the band is enjoying it. Floor is so unreserved, compared to Tarja, that she brings a new energy to the numbers. The rest of the band have joined in. It's as if they are saying "It can't get any better than this!"

I get fed up of seeing the crowd's antics but, overall, this concert is well filmed. The lights and smoke have not been allowed to affect the videography.

I restrained from playing the Autorips and waited for the Blu-rays to arrive so as to experience it as fully as possible first time round. I suggest you do the same!
on 3 December 2013
By far the best Nightwish concert ever recorded. Let's be honest, as much as I loved Tarja as front woman she had the stage presence of a brick. Anette had a little more but not the voice to match. Floor Jansen has both the stage presence and the voice. She commands the stage, she's a little sultry, a little sexy and certainly knows how to headbang with the best of them. The band effortlessly go through a cracking line up of old and new. I loved every single track but the stand out track has to be Ghost Love Score which builds to an ending that took my breath away. Fantastic vibe from the crowd, great lighting and the band looked like they were genuinely having a ball. after watching the Concert I listened to the audio CD with headphones and i was blown away by the quality of the musicianship of the whole band. If this is what Nightwish sound like live with Floor at the helm then I can't wait till they get her in the studio. I almost forgot to say that there is a cracking documentary included.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is very much a package of two parts! If you are a Nightwish fan, you should definitely buy it, as the concert contained on the two CDs is excellent - a superb tracklist covering most of the history of the band, an excellent performance and a great sound mix.

I wish I could be as positive about the BluRays, but I really can't. Disc 1, the concert, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the CDs for some reason - there's a lot less bass and the treble is rather harsh. The overall effect is pretty uninvolving, and I have no idea why this should be the case, given that they presumably come from the same recording!

Disc 2 is more of a problem. On the first copy of this I received, disc 2 wouldn't even load on either my BD player or my PS3. The replacement is slightly better, in that after a few minutes of fiddling, I can get disc 2 to play, but only by inserting it, allowing the player to try to play it, returning to the menu and then trying again - for some reason it never works on the first attempt but usually does on the second. This, combined with the problems I had with the first copy, suggests to me that this disc is either badly authored or badly pressed. Also, when you watch the documentary on it, there are places where the picture is rather jerky, meaning I suspect some poor format conversion has gone on, again suggesting bad authoring. (Disc 1 loads and plays fine, btw, on both copies I tried, so it isn't my player!)

Given the problems with the BDs, you might be better off saving some money and going for the DVD instead - there's not much on here that is going to be made significantly worse by being in SD rather than HD. Worth getting just for the CDs though!
on 5 December 2013
What a fantastic package this is. The blu ray picture looks awesome and the DTS sound can rattle the windows.
The documentary on disc 2 lasts for two hours and covers the Imaginaerum tour from start to finish.
Once out of the slipcase, the discs are slotted each side of a booklet with photos of the band and tour photos.The whole package looks really nice, just take care when removing the discs as the plastic clip holders could break quite easy if manhandled.
Can't wait for the next album with Floor and the next tour !!
on 12 May 2014
I'll be honest here, I hadn't heard of Nightwish until 6 months ago when a friend lent me, imaginaerum, I was so impressed that I bought, Showtime, Storytime and was blown away by the quality of both the band and the product. Now I'm a 60 something rocker who grew up in the hay day of rock music, listening to Blacksabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, etc. and I'm not easily impressed (where is the wonder, where's the awe). I've listened to early nightwish, and as other reviewers have said, whilst Tarja and Anna, had certain qualities , Floor Jansen certainly ticks all the boxes for me, what a voice, just made for this music. It been along time since I've heard a song that was so power that it sent " tingles up my spin" ( probably the first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody) but The version of Ghost Love Score at this concert must be one of the best songs ever, when Floor hits that top note, a spontaneous roar goes up from an 82,000 crowd, that is special. Can't wait for the next album to come out. Queen may be dead, but long live Nightwish ( with Floor of cause )
on 3 December 2013
The addition of Floor Jensen to the line up, replacing the (I feel) mediocre Annette, is an inspired choice. She brings a new soul to the band and this Blu-ray/DVD only goes to prove that she can cut it live. If this is an example of what to expect from Nightwish in the future, then the future is certainly bright.

This performance recorded at Wacken 2013 is a demonstration of how to put on a show, so if you were there, or like me, wish you had been, then this is a great way to indulge yourself in the atmosphere and awesome ability of a Nightwish show. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 9 March 2014
What can I say that hasn't already been said on previous reviews? Disc 1, the Blu-Ray film of the concert is fantastic, excellent picture and very good filming, even if the cutting (to the crowd) leaves a bit to be desired at times. The picture quality is excellent, as you should expect from HD. The sound quality is great, but a little lacking in depth, and I had to put my TV on full volume to get the best sound out of it. That said the gig itself more than makes up for the minor ailments associated with the production; a plethora of NW favourites past and present. For me, the highlights are: "She is my Sin", "I want my Tears Back", "Nemo", "Last of the Wilds", "Song of Myself" and "Last Ride of the Day". These are just my favourites from this particular show, but the whole concert is brilliant from start to finish. Its hard to believe also, that its an open-air gig! Floor is amazing, and tackles "Tarja songs" with consummate ease, but equally at ease with the "Annette songs". Its on par, if not, in some respects, slightly better than the "End of an Era" DVD.

Floor Jansen is a credit to the music industry for the professionalism she showed in turning up for the (near demise) of NW's World tour 2012, which was halfway across the midwest of the US, when she was called for "a little assistance on the vocals side of things". Also, the way that the two lead vocalists from Kamelot, who were touring with the band, filled in on "that night" (they had an hour to learn some songs!). All this is well documented on Disc 2, which really highlights the dilemma the band had found themselves in. The show must go on, as they say. And it sure did...if Floor had not been available, who knows where, in my opinion the World's best symphonic metal band, would be right now. Disc 2, unlike Disc 1, does not appear to have been filmed in HD, at least concert footage isn't

The CDs are basically an audio version of the Blu-Ray, with nothing added, nothing taken away...

At a little more than £20 (at the time of writing), its a steal! BUY IT!
on 2 December 2013
This Blu-ray/C.d. Collection is a must for every Nightwish, ReVamp and After Forever fan!
Pro-shot in HD with great sound, especially through a home theater system.
Floor's vocals blend with the Nightwish sound perfectly and along with new member Troy
the band sound stronger than ever.
Bring on the next Studio Album!!!
The documentary is fun and interesting adding to the overall package.
After waiting for this Blu-ray for what seems like an eternity, I was not
Disappointed, 2 Blu-ray discs and 2 C.d.s of Nightwish magic.