4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly sure what it is, but I like it
Published 9 months ago by Rob Simpson

3.0 out of 5 stars This film is nuts
Good grief where do I start with this one. I think this might be what would happen if David Lynch made a Bill and Ted film.

Published 4 months ago by Richard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly sure what it is, but I like it, 4 Dec 2013
Rob Simpson "noframeof" (Middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies At The End (DVD) (DVD)
Not exactly sure what John who dies at the End is, but I like it. With its invention and flagrant disregard for coherent narrative, John... is both an interesting 'what if' and a wholly effective horror comedy. Coscarelli's singular voice in horror is the only one who could bring this to life, whether it's the man made out of meat, the door that is 'impossible to open', or some of the more far out stuff of the third act. The film is full of little ideas and touches that reward as both an insane spectacle and as an element that will bring different views to light on multiple rewatches. Couldn't be less accessible if it tried, but anyone at home with Don Coscarelli's flair will settle down in no time. The biggest problem for me was that it simply wasn't enough, the unsuccessful TV pilot analogy feels apt. I want more. Here's hoping the the other book in the series (This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude Dont Touch It) gets adapted by Coscarelli too.

4.0 out of 5 stars JUST THE SIDE EFFECTS, 28 April 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The best way to describe this film is "Phantasm" on drugs. Dave (Chase Williamson) and John (Rob Mayes) are friends who are attempting to save the universe, or at least our planet. They have been chosen to do so by the drug "Soy Sauce" which gives them remarkable insight that is more like a bad acid trip.

The film is quirky and humorous, but not a side splitter. The dialouge is cute and clever for most of the film, but to the point of ad nauseam.

For those who like the "Scott Pilgrim..." quick style, check it out.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, no sex. Nudity.

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m not entirely sure what I just watched (but I’d probably watch it again), 17 May 2014
This review is from: John Dies at the End (DVD)
‘John Dies at the End.’ Is that a ‘spoiler?’ I don’t know. I guess mentioning whether ‘John’ (who is one of the two leads, along with ‘Dave’) does or doesn’t pop his clogs in the final act would really be the spoiler. Anyway, I digress... with a title like that I knew I was in for a weird one. And boy was I right.

I don’t think I’ve been so confused by a film since Donnie Darko. That took me a few watches to truly ‘get’ and I think I may have to give John Dies at the End a couple more goes before I can actually say (with any certainty) exactly what I watched. It’s about a couple of guys – John and Dave – who take drugs which (sometimes) take them to another world and – always – give them mild superpowers. On top of that, that other dimension I mentioned, if filled with weirdos who want to take over our world. Guess John and Dave have their work cut out trying to save our world.

About halfway through the film I kind of gave up trying to understand it totally and just went along for the ride. It certainly has a ‘feel’ of its own and I found it fun to just bask in the overall weirdness of its ambience. If you’re into the odd (think Lynch/Cronenberg) then you should feel quite at home here. Although many people have said that it’s probably a film for those of you who enjoy ‘recreational drugs.’ In fact... I can just picture many students all over the world all gathering around in a smoky lounge to watch – and enjoy – this.

You may have already guessed by now, but it’s pretty weird. If you’re wondering whether you’ll like it, I should point out that there are flying moustaches who attack people in this film. Yes, it’s that bizarre. So, if you think you can sit through over an hour and a half of that, then you might like to give it a go. Even though I didn’t fully understand it, I definitely think I’ll watch it again.
I read another review that describes it at ‘Bill and Ted’ meets ‘Naked Lunch.’ I couldn’t think of a better way of describing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This film is nuts, 24 April 2014
This review is from: John Dies At The End (DVD) (DVD)

A couple of young fellas (John and David) take a new bizarre drug called Soy Sauce and are gifted/cursed with various strange powers. These include telepathy, time travel and resurrection of the dead. Handy stuff to have really as our heroes are thrown into a convoluted plot where they are tasked with saving the world from a possibly alien species from another dimension. I think. It's a difficult film to summarise as its so bloody bonkers.

The main characters drift through the film from one crazy scenario to the next encountering all manner of other bizarre characters. There are so many ideas being thrown in and various genres are covered. Some of it works and frankly some of it doesn't, some of it makes no sense at all. But for all that its still oddly compelling and entertaining, the sheer invention on display kept me hooked. There's plenty of humour and its certainly not boring, worth a look if you fancy something a bit different.

3.0 out of 5 stars Smoke something first, 12 May 2013
Ummm... What did I just watch?

When this was good, it was very good. But it wasn't... I got confused.

Ok, that bad points - the script is not in any way tight, and there were not only a number of scenes that were wholly redundant, but also there were several plot holes - "we can't cross to your dimension even though we have this Super Megamind... but these tiny insects can for no other reason than we say they can.... wait, why doesn't Super Megamind just absorb the insects?".

The good points, I liked the premise; "soy sauce" was really good, and the scene where the door handle turns into a penis was very funny. The whole setup with the phone was pure genius, and when Dave started talking into the hot dog I cracked up. If you can get past the stoner-esque set up and accept some general weirdness, then this is a pretty ok film.

One question thought; why is the film called "John Dies At The End"?

1.0 out of 5 stars This film will bring you to the edge of your seat..., 15 Nov 2013
...The trouble is, once you get there, you'll want to get up and go do something else. I've never seen an adaptation of a book miss out so much of the plot, main characters or the entire point of the story. The most amazing thing about this film was that they got Paul Giamatti. Wow! I bet he regrets that! So, to surmise: awful script, terrible acting and a lead who has the same charisma as a lump of wood.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not on drugs or suffer from LSD flashbacks, 9 Jun 2014
So I hated it.
I was very dissapointed, having looked forward to the movie, as I was hoping for a positive surprise.
There was some great potential for this film. Several sequences were played and filmed very well. The problem for me was, that it ended up looking like someone filmed an acid trip, in stead of me believing the multiple dimensions, evil beings, "nice" gore and what not. It just fell flat for me.
If you must watch it, I urge you to find a place to stream it, so you wont polute this planet, when throwing the disc out. I am sure that you wont have a great need to buy it, if you knew what you were getting.
Have I seen worse movies. Yes, and that is the ONLY reason it gets 2 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird,interesting and confusing, 23 April 2014
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Blu-ray)
There is no way to describe this film and if I tried my brain would explode. Watch this film and you'll have a million questions that lead to a million more. Only watch if your not going to ask 'but how?' at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Soy Sauce!, 16 April 2014
This review is from: John Dies At The End (DVD) (DVD)
This overlooked horror parody has a bit of a pedigree to it. “Phantasm” famed cult horror film director Don Coscarelli not only directed this film but he wrote the screen play.

John dies at the end started off as a webserial by David Wong (real name Jason Pargin) back in 2001 and grew and evolved since, to it is now current form of a novel, sequel and film.

When I saw the film, I had previously read the book, already I was at an advantage. I loved the book. I thought it was witty, camp and a load of fun. The themes seemed to be a mixture of Gen-X and Lovecraftian references thrown in. Not to mention that Molly, the dog, often steals the show.

Soy sauce is for John and David as Spice was to the world of Dune and the root of most of their problems. Soy sauce is what enlightens them and what ultimately curses them; mainly because it is pure evil.

This is a surreal adventure with time spent in other universe and dimensions. It is a thinking film, like so many of Terry Gilliam’s films. It takes time to process all the information and scenarios. You may have to watch it more than once to fully appreciate it.

Verdict: The book is still better than the film and I suggest you read the book first to really get what is lacking from the film. If you choose to just jump right into the film- Keep an open mind. There is a lot of Cthulu mythos and 80′s American horror film reference that the average viewer probably won’t get. It is still a very humourous film with plenty of gags and insane situations, so for that I give it 3 of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never read the book, but still thoroughly enjoyed it, 15 April 2014
This review is from: John Dies At The End (DVD) (DVD)
I had no problems following the plot. The film is definitely weird, very tongue in cheek. I thoroughly enjoyed the style and humour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

John Dies At The End (DVD)
John Dies At The End (DVD) by Don Coscarelli (DVD - 2014)
9.85