5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Hatch has done it again!
My first brush with Mr Hatch's writing was "Are We Nearly There Yet" which I enjoyed so much I immediately sought out all his other writings, which brought me to this book (albeit in it's previous form, "The Lawnmower Celebrity".)

I've now read this book twice, and it certainly bore up to a second reading.

This book is both VERY funny and EXTREMELY...
Published 7 months ago by MarkieVee

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not quite great
Very well written. The main character, Jay, begins as a bit of an anti-hero to begin with although the reason for his struggles becomes clear. Very close to the mark for me a number of times too - which was excellent.
Published 2 months ago by Very Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Hatch has done it again!, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)

I've now read this book twice, and it certainly bore up to a second reading.

This book is both VERY funny and EXTREMELY touching, it touches on real family life (every parent and every former stroppy teenager will recognise so much in this book) and brings out the humour in the situations very skillfully.

The only real differences between "The Lawn Mower Celebrity" and "The P45 Diaries" are that the names of the "celebrities" have been changed to make them more current and I noted several other tweaks which indicate an author hitting his form and finding his voice.

If you are unsure, if you are humming and hawwing about getting this book - then please trust me - BUY IT!

Ben Hatch's other books have been about travel, but this is an ideal travel book, you can dip in on your Kindle as you sit on the bus/plane/beach and nod knowingly to all the other people you'll know are reading it too by the poorly stifled giggles, loud snorts and occasionally wiping away a tear (sorry bit of grit in their eye!)

Now ... Stop reading reviews and click BUY NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book from Ben Hatch, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Having loved Ben Hatch's accounts of his marathon journeys with his family around Britain and France in Are We Nearly There Yet? and Road to Rouen respectively I was really looking forward to this book but unlike the previous two books this is fictional so would I enjoy it as much?
Happily the answer is a resounding yes. The diary writer, a young man called Jay Golden reminded me of Holden Caulfield. He is on the brink of adulthood but the idea of what he perceives to be a mundane 9 to 5 existence horrifies him. He loses one job after another and is constantly at odds with his father. At first Jay isn't always the easiest person to like, however, as the book progresses I warmed to this young man trying to find his place in the world whilst experiencing the highs and lows of first love and as we gradually learn, struggling to cope with the death of his mum. Having lost my own mum to cancer when I wasn't much older than Jay meant it was at times a painful read but crying because you've been moved by what you're reading is a sign of a good book in my eyes. Knowing from Ben's works of non-fiction that The P45 Diaries is semi-autobiographical made it all the more poignant.
This is a book that will have you sighing with exasperation, snorting with laughter and wiping away the tears. It's honest, funny and very very moving. I'm sure Ben Hatch fans and those new to his books will thoroughly enjoy The P45 Diaries, I certainly did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy this!, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
If you can find more pleasure for 99p, please let me know how.

That's all I wanted to say really, but the Amazon thought police, dubious of brevity, insist I write more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sad and oh so easy to read., 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Thank goodness we don't all end up like Jay Golden, the dysfunctional late-teen coming to terms with the loss of the parental umbrella... and the loss of a parent. Funny throughout (and why do we laugh so easily at somebody's life falling apart?) there are also bring-you-up-short moments of such insightful pathos you want to curse Ben Hatch for catching you out and making you cry.

There are so many moments I'd like to share but to hell with you, potential reader; buy it and do the laughing and crying for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem!, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I've now read all three Ben Hatch books and this one, a novel; was different to the others and just as good. BH's really catchy and witty writing shines throughout and engages the reader in an autobiographical diary of a quirky 18 year old's outlook on his life, his family and his friends.
It made me laugh out loud (a lot) and also shed a few tears too. Definitely a finish in one go novel. Looking forward to the next book.
CM

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Another gem of a book from Ben Hatch.
It's laugh out loud funny and occasionally heartbreakingly sad - I found myself alternately sympathising with father and son. Family relationships are at the heart of this well written and engaging book. Read it & enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and funny read., 10 Dec 2013
Ms. H. Harfield "helenearth" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Having read 'Road to Rouen' I was tempted to purchase Ben's novel, and I wasn't disappointed! It had plenty of humour (particularly his younger brother Charlie- Cowabunga!) but also dealt with an , at first, not very likeable teen. However, he eventually redeems himself through the touching reminiscences of his mum's battle with cancer (some of which were rather close to the bone still, having lost my own dad to a brain tumour not quite two years ago) the book really resonated with me. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more and then cried happy tears with the final resolution. Certainly a rollercoaster book, but well worth reading. Also a steal via kindle right now too! Read while eating 'vieux Lille' cheese while in Lille, in Ben's cheese loving honour!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Rare Book Review From Me., 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Straight off the bat I must point out I'm much better at reading books than I am reviewing them, so if you are after some intellectual insight perhaps you will be better off moving on!

I loved this book, laugh, cry , laugh...well you get the picture. I am a big grown up Paramedic, and Ben Hatch made me cry!

If you love books that you get lost in, completely enveloped in the characters then this is a must read.

If you are new to the works of Ben Hatch just do a search on Amazon and get all his books.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good We Bought It Twice!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Ben Hatch is an amazing author. This is somewhat of a departure from what we've come to love, such as his non-fiction works the spectacular 'Road To Rouen', and 'Are We Nearly There Yet?'.
'The P45 Diaries' took us from near hysteria, to tears, and back. It's a lovely story that most people would easily associate with. The hero, Jay Golden, isn't instantly loveable, he's an 18 year old spoilt brat. However, he endears himself to the reader, very quickly, when it is revealed that his mother has passed away, & our hero is seen to be displaying all manner of difficulties with coping with day to day living. It's apparent he was ill prepared for life, and struggles to even operate household appliances. We suspected Jay was on the brink of a breakdown, and were fascinated with how the tale unfolds. I shan't ruin the ending, but Ben Hatch finalised this story beautifully.
This is an utterly charming read, and it is as hilariously funny, as it is sad. My husband & I both agree that this book was definitely based by Ben, on his younger self, and upbringing.
If you don't buy this book, then you're missing out on a really fantastic read!
THIS IS A MUST HAVE BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching comic novel, 9 Dec 2013
Katharine Edgar "Katharine" (yorkshire uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Eighteen year old Jay is a waster, unable to hold down a job for more than a few weeks. While his longsuffering father works fifteen hour days as a Controller at the BBC, Jay steals his contacts book and makes offensive calls to celebrities.
As the book progresses, we learn more about what lies behind Jay's failure to engage with responsibility: he is suffering from grief at the loss of his mother.
Ben Hatch skilfully balances both the light humour of Jay's workplace failures with the tragedy that lies behind them, to produce a warm, moving novel that shows sympathy and understanding for all his warring characters, while making the reader laugh. I recommend this book if you want a read that is both funny and touching.

The P45 Diaries