Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.97

on 13 February 2014
This memoir by a humane ex-solicitor tells of Patrick Moon’s decision to help a young man in India, and what happened after. It includes a nitty-gritty tour of modern India which I would imagine would be useful to travelers. The boy’s story reads like a picaresque tale, and is a marvel of suspense. This well-written book is recommended for virtual and real travelers to India as well as fans of culture clash stories.
on 28 November 2013
A most impressive piece of writing: funny, moving, gripping, and heart-rending - and much more besides. Its overwhelming strength is the ring of honesty it carries. This is unembellished truth, no soft edges, but deeply engaging.
on 16 August 2014
I have read PM's previous two books and I read them with great enjoyment. They were very well written and entertaining. This, his latest book. is, to my mind, written on a much higher plane. It is beautifully written and throws a useful light on both the problems within Indian society and the gulf between our societies (even though so much of our culture has been derived from South Asia). I was held spellbound by this book (having intended to dip into from time to time and prolong the pleasure over a couple of weeks - I finished it in just two days). The reader knows that a "happy ending" is unlikely but is kept guessing almost to the end as to how "a boy like me" will end up. Strongly recommended.
on 8 May 2014
I was immediately taken back to India reading this book. I have spent several winters in India and Patricks tale was written from the heart. It describes his love of the country and how easy it is to form lasting relationships with people you meet on your travels. These meetings are so often transient but he follows though with his help to this young man and as it so often discovers that society there does not make this an easy choice. It is an honest portrayal of where an offer of help can lead you.
on 25 November 2014
Not ever having travelled to India I found this book to be a fascinating insight to a new land and culture and thoroughly recommend it to those planning their first visit there and indeed to seasoned travellers as well. It is an honest and compelling story. Patrick Moon is a very sensitive writer , able to transport his readers into his experiences with great skill.
on 10 October 2014
This book kept me reading as I had no idea in what direction it was heading,
Fascinating particularly from a personal perspective as I was about to head off to that region.
A great insight to the way India works.
on 3 April 2014
"I really enjoyed Patrick's book - didn't want to put it down. He writes so well and keeps your interest. It's a pity there is no happy ending!"
on 29 November 2015
Great book; well written. Having recently made our first visit to India this brought the place flooding back.