4.0 out of 5 stars A.N. Wilson's view of the Life of C.S Lewis
Published 6 months ago by Mrs C O Downing

3.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis and A.N> Wilson - interesting combination
A.N. Wilson is a good writer and C.S. Lewis a great subject. However, I felt that I understood far more about Wilson than I did about Lewis.This did not stop me from reading this book, but I was disappointed.
Published 5 months ago by Moira

4.0 out of 5 stars A.N. Wilson's view of the Life of C.S Lewis, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I liked it as it was an honest account of The life of C.S. Lewis, as researched by a confessed atheist. A Christian myself, I was enlightened to the humanity of C.S. Lewis;his weaknesses and his goodness, especially the change in him after his conversion. It is all too easy to have put such a man on a pedestal because of his work, without realising that he had' feet of clay' like the rest of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Behind Narnia, 27 Dec 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I have never read anything by C S Lewis but this interesting little book has made me want to read his work. The author - who wrote a full length biography of Lewis twenty five years ago - revisits Lewis's life and his own feelings and thoughts about Lewis the man and his writing. Like many great men, Lewis was not always a likeable character and he seemed to ride rough-shod over many of the people in his private life as well as his students.

I found this book compelling reading because of the way the author lays bare some of his own deepest thoughts about life and religion and how those thoughts have changed over his lifetime. I also thought the way he tries to convey his own attitude to Lewis's own work which at the same time repels him and fascinates him. Well written and worth reading even if you have never read anything by Lewis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth reading, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
More about An Wilson and his dislike of Lewis than Lewis himself.Not worth reading, short though it is. No new insights.

3.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis and A.N> Wilson - interesting combination, 1 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into C.S. Lewis, 15 Jan 2014
Peter Mercer (Lisburn, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I've grown up with C.S. Lewis and have read a number of his theological books as well as his popular Narnia series. I've shared them with my children and soon, I hope, with my grandchildren. However, it was good to have A.N. Wilson's take on Lewis - it balances things a bit as he is sometimes accorded semi-saint like status, which he clearly was not. Doesn't take away from his words though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Jan 2014
Moon Insect (channel islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This was surprisingly not as much about Mr Lewis so much as rants from the author about his own atheism. Which is not what I wanted to read about. So I didn't actually finish the book because I found his personal venting wearying ..
The book should be called "my personal frustrations with some alluding to the chap behind Narnia."

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the Narnia Series before you read this book, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Probably quite an accurate record of C S Lewis' life but I did not find the text particularly gripping and inspiring. I would have liked to read more about the sources for his inspiration. Having read and enjoyed the entire Narnia series many years ago when my children were captivated with the excitement, the fast moving dialogue and the "magical" lands his characters inhabited, I was almost expecting "The Man Behind Narnia" to be written in a similar vein, but was rather disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed messages about Narnia's author, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This shorter version of the biography focuses on Wilson's own life, beliefs and hang-ups as much as on Lewis whom he appears to find very difficult to like. He often claims to have a better insight, better research and to know more about Lewis from the many Oxbridge contacts he has made. Whilst it was enjoyable to read, don't expect to enjoy anything relating to the Narnia books which Wilson roundly condemns. His academic credentials, from the aspect of attention to detail and absolute accuracy are also drawn into doubt but you will learn about his love life!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christian point of view, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book as it shows Lewis with all his faults. He seems to be a very private man with a lot of insecurities. This book will appeal to everyone who enjoys his works and now the new generation who maybe won't have read Narnia but seen it on the big screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of "The Man Behind Narnia", 11 Jan 2014
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
The book gives a comprehensive view of the character of CS Lewis, warts and all! There is some detail about his private life, not widely known before, which throws light on some of his writing. However he remains an enigma, to me anyway.