on 24 April 2014
This book is fantastic, it makes a welcome change that the charters within are not army based personal but are in fact regular people going about their lives trying to survive the horrific events that unfold around them. It also makes a refreshing change that the location in based in Australia and not the USA (like most other books) the story is very fast moving & once it gets going it really doesn't let up. I cared about what happened to the people within & as such couldn't put the boom down. I've read a lot of zombie novels over the past year & I must say this has to be one of my best ever so far. Can not wait for book #2! Owen Baillie you've written an amazing book & I'll personally recommend this to anyone.
on 8 November 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I have read lots of zombie books & this is one of the best. Owen has got the right balance - the detail of the characters, allowing the reader to build up a picture in their mind & forming a connection between character & reader & the devastation caused by the zombies. How he describes the zombies makes it so scarily believable on par with The Walking Dead I think. I'm glad book 2 is ready so I'm going to get straight into that one & just hope I won't have to wait long for book 3.
on 3 June 2014
Exciting roller coaster ride from start to finish..the more intelligent zombies are a terrifying addition to the regular shambling walkers we've been used to for so long. Great that the story is set in Australia for a change and that it's ordinary people dealing with the outbreak..really makes you think what you would do if it ever happened. Gruesome and enthralling read..thanks Mr. Baillie, can't wait for the next one!!
on 5 March 2014
Not all Zombies are the same...

Aftermath: Invasion of the dead (book 1) is the start of an exciting series set within an eclectic post-apocalyptic world of far-reaching premise and vision. Owen Baillie's `new world' is like nothing I have ever encountered before; with Australia as a vast wilderness full of terrifying danger and sinister deadly secrets. Blood-curdling dramatic action and shocking revelations make your skin crawl, as you explore the aftermath of a cataclysmic event so enormous that it makes you wonder how humans will cope.

Book 1: focuses around a group of friends who went on a camping trip only to return to their former home and discover a ravaged world turned horribly wrong due to a fatal virus. The entire East coast of Australia is filled with `walking dead' who seek flesh and blood to feast upon...unlike preconceptions, not all of the Zombie's are the same as they soon discover.
With the clashing of personalities and agendas, as the group reaches their hometown they are faced with a variety of impacting life-changing decisions which will alter and define the course of the future for all concerned.

A fusion of gruesome, explicit horror and traditional Zombie fiction this outstanding new series is simply EPIC. Aftermath is reminiscent of "Warm Bodies" with a touch of military action and distopian flavour, which will excite many fans of this kind of book. Character-driven, fast-paced and action-packed this unputdownable book is a story that you easily loose yourself in and that once taken hold it doesn't let go!! Fans of Julia Kagawa's Immortal Rules or any post-apocalyptic/ thriller/ Zombie novel will just devour this book from beginning to end.

5 STARS!!

*I won a copy of Owen Baillie's novel "Aftermath: Invasion of the dead" (book 1) through a Goodreads, first-read giveaway.
on 7 January 2014
I bought this because the action setting is Australia rather than the U.S.A. Sadly this did not seem to make much difference except for the odd mention of Kangaroos and a few other bits (Coles instead of Wallmart for example). Rather like staying in a chain hotel, you could be anywhere and nothing really to make it stand out.
Plenty of action but I found the story itself rather confusing and some of the characters and events wooden.
on 25 July 2014
How refreshing for this to be in Australia. Some of the plot is very familiar, but feels like a favourite old slipper, rather than a tired flogged dead horse. This
kind of book leaves me in a constant flex of questions. Would I have reacted in that way? Great first book, I am looking forward
to the next instalment.
on 18 December 2013
The advent of the kindle means I can indulge my passion for zombie fiction easily, but that means for every gem there's a lot of dross. This isn't a gem, but neither is it rubbish. No new themes or twists, but we'll enough written to make me look out for book 2.
on 15 May 2014
I've read a lot of post apocalyptic and zombie fiction over the last few years and I have to say this is the best of the lot. Yes - even better than Max Brooks' World War Z. If you're into this genre, do yourself a favour and download / buy this book.
on 30 August 2014
I enjoyed the book, but felt that there was something missing- probably could do with a bit more character depth, the character were introduced as a group and it took me a while to differentiate between them. Parts of the book were overly simplistic also, bordering on high school essay. saying all that I did enjoy the book and have purchased the second instalment, quite interested in how Mr Ballie style will grow going forward. most die hard zombie fans don't like a change, zombies are zombies, and the different zombie levels is a good shake up, so it needs to be done well or not at all. Worth the price tag.
on 15 August 2014
Not the best writing, but readable enough. Did find myself skim reading a lot of the fight scenes as they were very repetitive.
The story is not very original but that's ok.