‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Elzzup Nuf, 24 Feb 2014
Neil Goodacre - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wasgij Destiny 14 How Times Have Changed Jigsaw Puzzle (Toy)
Jigsaw puzzles don’t make any sense to me. The idea, as far as I can make out, is to spend hours rummaging through all the tiny little pieces, just to put them altogether and make a picture – a picture that you’ve already got because it’s on the lid of the box the pieces came in! Honestly, if you like the picture that much, why not just flatten out the lid and put it in a frame? Sorry, but jigsaws are daft.

Lucky, then, that this is not a jigsaw. This is a Wasgij. I know the Wasgij idea has been around for ages in one incarnation or another, but this is the first time I’ve actually had the pleasure of doing one. Unlike an ordinary jigsaw, the idea is not to recreate the picture on the box but instead to create a new image, linked to or inspired by the one on the box in a clever way.

What you have to get you started is a scene from the fifties or sixties of a parade of shops, a park and the people and things in it. What you have to create with your puzzle pieces is the same scene, but in the modern day. I suppose it’s a bit like those “then and now” photos you see in local newspapers sometimes, only you have to make the “now” yourself and it’s a cartoonist’s drawing, not a photo.

Now, where this is quite clever is the fact that some stuff stays the same. The roads are still there, as are the buildings and the park and so on, which allows you to place probably a third of the bits in the right place. These in turn have little clues as to what might be connected to them, like a foot or a corner of a mobile phone, that sort of thing. Each completed character or element leads to something else, and so on until you’re done!

And that’s about it really. As I think I’ve made clear, I’m not really a fan of traditional jigsaw puzzles but I did enjoy doing this. My wife and I spent about four hours on it one night, each getting very excited when we found the bits that allowed us to complete the character or object we were working on. We didn’t get it finished in that one night, by the way. Far from it. All told I’d say we invested about 15-20 man hours on this. With the cold, wet weather we’ve all been subjected to recently, it was nice to have a project.

This Wasgij offers good value for money, providing twenty-odd hours of entertainment for a relatively small cost, and the quality of the pieces is (based on my limited knowledge of the subject) quite high, with them being both sturdy and well cut. This was a great way to pass the time and I will likely pick up some more. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars jigsaw, 24 Mar 2014
Excellent product challenge to do but keep me occupied for 2 days would recommend this jigsaw thank you very much

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
a present for my daughter. she loves these puzzles

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 13 Jun 2014
this is the first time that i've done one like this and it bril. thank you will do another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrigueing, 10 May 2014
Couldn't wait to see the puzzle completed. I do love these type of jigsaws where the end result is unknown. As always well worth the effort !

5.0 out of 5 stars wasgij, 28 April 2014
An easter present to my mum she love these puzzles and does them all the time,can't go wrong with these ,they good she says.:):):)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasjigs, 10 Mar 2014
If you love doing Wasjigs you will love this one. You do not know what the picture will be until you are half way through doing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars my order, 10 Dec 2014
Bought this for my husband who loves jigsaws, and this wasgij puzzle makes you think, so he takes a bit longer. Also bought 1 for my Daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, 31 Aug 2014
Superb packaging and quality.
Would recommend to anyone wishing to increase their Jigsaw puzzle collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Wasgij, 17 Aug 2014
Great puzzle - very interesting. Loved doing it. As with all my jigsaws I always do them again and again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›