5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1-inch Tablet - A Star Buy
First of all I got it for 169 pounds delivered by Amazon. When I ordered it was estimated to be delivered on/after 8th Jan 2014. So thanks Amazon for excellent service.
I already have Samsung tab2 7. I was looking to upgrade to Tab 3. But looking at the specs I decided to try Toshiba.
First impression:
There is a wow factor when you look at the tablet. It...
Published 15 months ago by R. Naodhar

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery life poor
I'm reviewing this at the £169 I paid. **Remember to update the tablet to 4.3 as soon as you get it**

Pros
*Practically stock Android 4.3 - can't stress this enough - much better than Nook/Kindle/Samsung tablets
*Minimal bloat, ThinkFree office and PrintHand are useful
Published 15 months ago by Nickjf20

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1-inch Tablet - A Star Buy, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1-inch Tablet (NVIDIA Tegra 4 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Android 4.2) (Personal Computers)
First impression:
There is a wow factor when you look at the tablet. It has every connection you can dream of. The resolution is amazing. I read some magazines and player HD videos and it all looked very impressive. I dont know why people faced problem with streaming. I did not have any problem at all. It managed to play full HD videos extremely well. Battery life seems to be at par with Samsung tab 2. 2 hours of continuous use and it is still showing 65% left. I downloaded and installed many big applications during two hours of play. So, on a normal use it is going to give me more time out of it. Sound is really good. It is well balanced between high notes and bass frequencies. I liked the wide stereo effect it has. It sounds way better than Samsung tab2 7. Camera is not the best you can have, but it is not disappointing. It has got a extremely fast photo editor I have ever seen on a tablet. It works flawlessly.
Screen is also very bright, in fact I have reduced brightness of the screen.
It is made of plastic and not metal. Initially I thought it was a bit of let down, but when I used it, I found it makes it much lighter and easy to hold for longer period. It is well balanced for size/weight. It feels well built and looks impressive.

And, I did not face any overheating problem. It does get slightly warm which is very common when playing games, or watching videos.

All in all, a great tablet for reasonably good price.
Go for it, I suggest.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was sceptical, now I'm over the moon!, 31 Dec. 2013
After reading reviews on both Amazon and reputable tech websites, I thought I was really taking a punt with this tablet and was going to end up sending it back. What I actually discovered when I received it is that for £169.99, I got an incredible deal.
The build quality is great, it is plastic but personally I have always preferred the material for mobile devices as its more resilient to dents and scratches. It still feel an very solid, if perhaps, not quite 'premium'.
The additional thickness and weight over some of the more expensive competition is a none issue for me. We are talking a hundred grams or so and a few mm. You can still hold it and carry it no problem. Most reviews these days seem to put enormous focus on these elements when actually, if manufacturers were given a bit more freedom here they could probably increase performance and battery life by many magnitudes.... But I digress.
Some have mentioned the port cover is flimsy, I actually find it to be reasonably well thought about in comparison to the usual ugly rubber bung(s) you would find. When in place its nicely flush and when removed the rubber cord let's it drop far enough down so that its out of the way of any connected cables. This cover is only for the micro SD, micro USB and Micro HDMI anyway, all of which I think would only get occasion use due to the separate 12v power adaptor for charging.
The headphone socket is a combo port that worked OK with my inline headphones and is outside of the port cover so is fine for regular access.
As others have mentioned, the 'harmon kardon' sticker is daft, clearly an after thought and I would like to take it off but im concerned it might leave a mark.
The buttons are well placed with volume rocker on the left with power on the top left (landscape mode). Rear camera is also top left.
As soon as you are ready to go, bare in mind you need to charge this thing up because it arrives with zero charge in the battery. Whilst charging you can boot it up and the first thing you will notice is the screen, its absolute best of class. Very bright and extremely detailed with great contrast and colour reproduction.
Next thing that's important is to run the updates in the settings/about device page. I didn't do much playing with the tablet while this was going on so I can't comment on performance pre-update. There is quite a few large files and they will take you up to android 4.3 which is respectably up to date. Yes, 4.4 is out but the differences will not be groundbreaking between the two in normal usage.
The thing i noticed while running these updates is that the wireless performance is blistering. This is one of few devices with wireless ac (dual channel 1Gb) and along with the new BT home hub which is also wireless ac capable, it was seriously quick to download.
Once I was back into Android, everything felt very 'Nexus'. What I mean by that is everything was largely untouched from how Google designed the OS and intended it to be. Companies like Samsung and HTC actually put their own skin on Android which some like and others don't. I personally prefer the 'stock' experience which made me very comfortable here.
From there I installed my usual productivity and entertainment apps and tested it out.
Skitch and evernote worked perfectly, as expected. The high density of pixels on the screen makes note taking and sketching an absolute delight. The standard Android keyboard is in use here and its very good, although a little on the bulky side, taking up half the screen. I think it could drop 10-15% in size and remain comfortable.
Next I tested out some video playback. To hit two birds with one stone I tried streaming from my NAS. Dice player didn't work very well and wouldn't play a lot of the high def videos, next i tried archos player (a few quid on play) and once I put all the codecs on it was flawless. 1080p serious high quality videos would play without problem and I could easily shuttle around the file without it struggling. The one thing I will say is that the speakers are quiet, the quality of sound is decent for tablet speakers but the level was dreadful.
For gaming I only tested bloons td5 which worked fine, its not as demanding game though so no surprises there. I don't tend to play many demanding games on my tablet as I have a high end gaming PC so I figured I would run a few benchmarks. GFX bench Egypt HD onscreen seemed to stutter a bit but got a decent 30fps, the Geekbench, Antutu and Vellamo scores were up there with the best mobile devices out at the moment. When I ran back to back AndEbench tests, the tablet did seem to heat up on the back left below the camera, as people have said. It did not get really uncomfortable though and I wouldn't worry about it affecting the health of the tablet unless I was playing demanding games for many many hours, even then I doubt it would be a worry.
Other points:
I like the separate 12v 3a power as it seems to charge loads faster than I'm used too with 5v devices. it also allows me to use the USB for a keyboard or storage device at the same time.
Both cameras are rubbish, but its a tablet, you don't want to be one of those dorks walking about recording with a tablet anyway do you? Front camera is a shame but it is good enough for Skype/hangouts.
Battery life is not as good as others on the market, but you are still looking at 6-7hours with moderate use I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute steal!, 4 Jan. 2014
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you were lucky enough to pick one of these up around Christmas 2013 via the hotukdeals post, then you have a fantastic deal for the money. I previously bought a cheap Chinese tablet for the same price as I got this one!

Don't worry about previous overheating and WiFi reception issues: they are fixed by two updates (settings > About tablet > System updates). Remember, reviews written on release for the Toshiba were created when the tablet had these issues *and* cost more than twice as much, so you are getting an absolute bargain right now. Update: I have found a few games that do still create overheat stutter - Dead Trigger 2 will cause this if you play with the tablet on performance for 20 minutes.

Without the updates, the tablet is very, very fast, but may have a tendency to overheat (mine did not overheat but did throttle back a little and stutter a bit after I continuously ran the most strenuous 3DMark graphics testing, whilst leaving the tablet in a zipped case - but it didn't crash on overheat with the stock firmware, and neither did it get that hot... more like warm). After update, the maximum clockspeed is reduced a little, so it scores about 7-8% less on 3DMark, but with much less throttling... you don't notice the difference in performance because its already fast: games are fully tegra enhanced and flawless, and browsing with the installed Chrome browser is as fast as on a desktop (my desktop is a 12 core i7 video editing/gaming monster with 24GB and a top 3 graphics card and SSDs/velocirapters, so, yeah, I'm comparing it to a top 10% gaming desktop being used for browsing here!).

In tests I did against other tablets (I am a web developer and have all common tablets available at work), this tablet is either faster than, or as fast as the Kindle, Nexus 10 and iPad 4... and at current prices it less than the cost of any of them, some by less than half the price!

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***
If you are using the tablet to view PDFs or long webpages, scrolling may be sluggish out of the box, and not at all as fast as you expect.
To fix it, you need to enable Developer Options, and then Force hardware acceleration of 2D displays. To do this:
Go 'Settings > About Tablet' (bottom option)
Go to 'Build number' (it will again be at the bottom). Tap this seven times.
Developer options are now enabled. You will see it above the 'About tablet' option you just used, and it looks like this: '{} Developer options'
Tap that, and then scroll down to 'Force GPU rendering'. Check this option.
Done: your Excite Pro is now as silky smooth in document viewing, and faster than an iPad for viewing complex pdfs. Result!
Bit annoying that Toshiba did not enable this option by default, given that the GPU is so fast (as soon as you enable GPU rendering the tablet feels like something twice as fast in many apps, not just pdf viewing!), but at least now you know how to unlock faster rendering.
*** END ***

Apart from blistering speed, the other best thing about this tablet is the ability to add a 64GB SD card. A nexus 10, Kindle or iPad don't have this ability, and you have to pay through the nose for the extra capacity. With the Toshiba, you get so much available storage on-board that you do not have to bother with all that cloud storage business! I am going through reading all the classic comic series (200AD, Sandman, etc), and that's about 30GB of comic .cbr files, but no problem with removable SD cards (if you are a non-geek, then the same applies if you have a large Kindle or pdf book collection). Similarly for ripped films: If you commute, you can get enough of them for a month's worth of 'a film a day' on the train with a 64GB SD card, and still have room for apps on the 16GB main memory... all with no need for any web access (and associated waiting). Oh, and Tegra 4 has hardware video enhancements, so the video looks great on this tablet, and the screen is a very useful 16:9 widescreen format. Bonus.

Sound is excellent: you get good balanced sound rather than tinny tablet audio. It sounds closer to a high end laptop rather than a tablet, and certainly far better than any other tablet I have used. It doesn't have as high a particularly max volume as my Toshiba laptop (also with Harmon Kardon speakers), but then again, the tablet never distorts or ends up sounding like public transport at school home time (if you've been there, you'll know what I mean - cell phones at max volume, making every song feel like it was recorded in a tin can). It's certainly good enough to listen to Spotify or Grooveshark in a quiet room.

For business users, you get an Office Word compatible wordprocesser (.doc, .docx) preinstalled, and with the separately available Bluetooth keyboard, have a pretty good traveling laptop replacement for the odd email and document writing on the train. Battery life is very good given the performance, and excellent if you set the power management on 'balanced'. Complex pdf files are also handled with ease, something that common 'non-gaming' tablets often have trouble with (in my experience) because of their shared graphic memory, slower main memory and narrower data bus (all of which cause sluggish page load and pdf rendering/scrolling issues). If you have WiFi share on your phone, the Toshiba can connect to it (and makes a stable connection), so you can easily have mobile internet access on the tablet via your phone 3G/4G, and of enough stability to maintain communications with the office. Update Maarch 2013: the toshiba keyboard case that matches this tablet is now vastly reduced, so if you want your tablet to double as a notebook, have a look at Toshiba - Keyboard - Bluetooth - English - black(PA5132E-1EKB), as they can be found for a third of the initial asking price! FWIW, Im actually writing this update via the PA5132.

The Toshiba has no problems with Flash web content. Less of a problem than it was a year ago, but having a Flash enabled tablet is always a good thing if (like me) you do use some of the more specialised websites (for example, I do a lot of video editing, and many of the available online tutorials are fairly old and still use Flash video, so I could not watch them on an iPad).

Unlike cheap Chinese tablets that you would typically get at this price point (i.e well under two hundred quid), you get British preinstalled software throughout so don't have to faff about changing USA locale and keyboard: its all set for the UK on default, and the preinstalled web links are to British sites rather than America-centric, etc.

Finally, its worth noting that Toshiba laptops are known as the most reliable laptops available (Toshiba usually beat Apple to second place... this comes via a yearly report for industry IT, tried to add the link but Amazon doesn't allow it). I have had the same Toshiba Satellite laptop since 2006 with no issues (including battery life!), and am hoping this tablet will show the same reliability. Given the Toshiba is one of the fastest high end gaming tablets right now, it will probably also be usable in 5 years time.

Downsides?
You don't get a USB cable to connect it to a PC (you need to buy it separately, couple of quid as its standard, and you probably already have one if you have an Android phone), and you cannot charge via USB (you have to use the included power supply).
Also, you can't unlock the tablet (so have to wait for Toshiba updates for new versions of Android, which will be later than Google direct releases on Nexus). The main issues with lack of unlocking ability is you can't overclock the tablet.... But you don't really need to with Tegra 4! You won't be able to install custom ROMs either, but I personally don't see the need as the tablet is now fast and stable as-is.
If you are into reading books/magazines as pdfs, bear in mind that the 16:9 screen format is more geared to films rather than books (which read better on the iPad 4:3 screen format, because that is closer to a printed page). This is an issue with all high end Androids though and not specific to this tablet. You can get round this by using the Kindle app to view your books as .mobi (which will reflow the text/images to fit the screen - google 'Calibre' to see how to convert books to .mobi and add them to the Kindle android app), but if you need pdfs and 16:9 is a problem, you probably need an iPad. The 16:9 format is the one to go for if films are your thing though, so its swings and roundabouts if - as with most people - you want both.
Oh, and when you first turn on the tablet, it comes uncharged. You have to plug in the power supply and then wait whilst it charges past 10%... the instructions don't tell you to wait, so it may look like its not booting if you are not familiar with Android.... don't panic, and just leave it charging for 20 minutes before switching it on just to be sure.

Overall, this is a cracking deal, and one of the best electronics deals I have seen on Amazon in 2013 (and 2014 January sales). Even though I have an existing 10 inch tablet, and I could have ebayed the Toshiba and made a fair profit, I'm already in love with it and it's a definite keeper... a nice Christmas present to myself!

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery life poor, 30 Dec. 2013

Pros
*Minimal bloat, ThinkFree office and PrintHand are useful
*Very fast (almost as smooth as my Nexus 5, miles better than an iPad 2 - *** AFTER CONTINUED USE, PERFORMANCE DEGRADES ***)
*Screen is excellent (Almost on par with an iPad Air)
*USB OTG allows connection to a DSLR or USB flash drive etc
*Micro SD - storage expansion
*Cameras front and back are fine - similar to an iPad 2, but with flash.
*What sound the speakers do put out, is good quality.

Cons
*Speakers are quiet, and placement is stupid (Worse than iPad 2, same as Nexus 5)
*Proprietary charger
*Build quality isn't great - plastic, but solid. Much better than anything else in the same price bracket.
*Port cover is flimsy
*Harman/kardon logo on the front is a sticker (haven't tried to remove for fear of leaving a residue)
*Toshiba update process is clunky - took almost an hour to go through the 4 updates necessary for a usable tablet.
*Screen colours are slightly washed out - almost pastel like (orange especially)

Notes
*The tablet does get hot (more so than an iPad 2) - nicely warms your hands rather than burns, so not a con.
*Nova launcher seems smoother than the stock launcher
*Disable the video enhancement - I noticed stutter with it enabled

For the money, this tablet is fantastic - remember that it launched at well over £300
At £169, there is nothing close.

-------- EDIT --------
After living with the tablet for a fortnight, I'm reducing the rating to 3*

The battery life is poor, struggling to make 4 hours
The UI is very stuttery compared to an almost 3 year old iPad 2

If you can live with the battery life, then sure, £169 is a good price

5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine at an amazing price with a few minor issues, 29 Dec. 2013
So like many others while the tablet was being offered at £169.99 I felt like I had to have a pop at one regardless of some of the poor reviews.

After playing and testing on it for the past 2 days however I have to wonder where these 1 star review experiences are coming from.

Firstly video stuttering:

First thing I did like you should do with any new piece of tech is get the updates (I'm fairly convinced a lot of 1 star reviewers just went to play on this tablet without updating). When you first turn on the tablet after charging grab the right drop down menu -> hit settings -> scroll down to "About tablet" and hit System updates to be taken to the Toshiba service centre where you can get the 400mb update. This contains several firmware fixes as well (little updates for the hardware inside your tablet) and takes some time to install.

After this was installed I went and streamed 30 mins of youtube using sideloaded Flash (this tablet is surprisingly compatible with Flash when using the basic browser) mostly in 1080p and encountered no frame rate issues what so ever.

Still further tests are always helpful so I used a google play voucher I was given for Christmas and bought a HD film from the store (2 hours 47 minutes in duration) and streamed it. The tablet streamed the movie in HD for the full duration with no drops or stutters in frame rate and consumed 30% of the battery power - not too bad at all. I also had Toshibas "Video Enhancement" turned on but honestly you cannot really see any difference here and could probably save a few battery % points by just leaving it off.

The sound quality is marvellous with it's fancy branded speakers.

The heat issue:

I won't sugar coat this even though I like the tablet there is definitely a heat issue in the top left corner of the tablet. It is frankly unnoticeable when I was streaming and watching videos however when ever doing anything CPU intensive such as installing things or playing fancy games the heat did build up quite quickly. As some review sites have said the Tegra is a little too powerful for its own good and is probably overclocking itself during periods of high CPU load causing this huge build up in heat.

Honestly though it's more about whether or not you would be comfortable holding it over any damage to the tablet - I build PCs for a living and CPUs do get hot (they're still fine at 50-70+ Celsius) when under high loads or when auto tuning garbage is left on.

I noticed the price got bumped up to £199.99 again today which takes a little of the icing off the cake - regardless this tablet has some fantastic specs for the price - it's a nippy colourful little machine with a few little flaws.

Just make sure to update the thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible for the price., 19 Dec. 2013
I bought this tablet when it was on offer for £169.99.
Prior to my purchase i had read some negative reviews regarding overheating while playing games, which then slows the unit down to a grinding halt.
I however don't really play games apart from the occasional angry bird fling, so thought it would be fine for watching Netflix and general web browsing, and... I was right.
There were 3 updates for when i first turned the device on, which didn't take very long.
After the 3rd and final update, it rebooted and started up.
I can honestly say i have had no problems whatsoever since I've been using it. I watched 2 hours of Netflix, browsed the internet for an hour or so and played a couple games, and it didn't get hot, no slowdown, no stuttering or anything. It's a smooth an experience as I've used on android before.
The processor is super-fast, the screen is gorgeous and it feels nice in the hand.
I would definitely recommend it, even at £229.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the other reviews, 1 Jan. 2014
I was very sceptical at first buying this tablet as like most people I read some rewiews and people said issues about overheating. This is not true once I received tablet I updated it to 4.3 using the update feature the tablet is very fast and the sreen is excellent. I was torn between ordering this and the nexus 10 but at a 1/3 of the price its a no brainer. Nothing comes close to this at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars does all that I want and some, 10 Jan. 2014
This item has received some poor reviews however I personally have found it to be excellent. There are features that my wife wishes were on her iPad retina! I am not into high speed games, so maybe this would show up some weakness? Overall the tablet is doing a cracking job and at a cracking price. You can probably tell that I am loving it🆒

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 4 Jan. 2014
I bought this as a present to myself for crimbo and I'm not disappointed. I looked at the Samsung and various others in my price range but having had it for a couple of days now I can honestly say this was a cracking buy. Screen resolution is fantastic,sound is pretty good also. I've used the keyboard for some word updates and I'm not disappointed.
All in all I absolutely love it and would recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a leap of faith, but one I'm glad I made, 1 Jan. 2014
In short I dithered about buying this tablet @ £169 for quite some time. I eventually gave in to my better judgement and made the purchase. In summary my thoughts are this:

- Build quality is solid and attractive but not "premium"
- Updates to Android 4.3 without any issues
- Benchmarks around 15000 in Quadrant and consistently at circa 31000 in Antutu after 5 repetitions of the full test
- Gets warm during normal use and very warm when gaming etc but not uncomfortably so
- Had no stutter, lag or app closes even when pushing it fairly hard
- Battery seems to give a fair performance considering specs
- Screen is pin sharp, colours are nice and brightness is good also. Tiny amount of back light bleed in bottom right corner only noticeable when displaying black backgrounds but nothing intrusive
- WiFi performance is excellent

All round I would say it's an absolute steal at £169, good value at £200 but I wouldn't personally pay any more for it than that as you're entering Nexus 10 territory which although sports an older processor has an unlocked bootloader for root etc and is probably a little more dependable in the long run...