5.0 out of 5 stars The most thought provoking film I have ever seen
Published on 24 Sep 2001 by ChrisC1973

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting documentary with a great soundtrack
As above, I bought this as a DJ Shadow fan mainly to hear the soundtrack but I found the documentary really interesting learning about these guys who live in an underground world, most people would never hear about something like this without watching the dvd. Worth a couple of quid and would definitely pass the time for you.
Published on 29 May 2008 by Aaron Mulholland

5.0 out of 5 stars The most thought provoking film I have ever seen, 24 Sep 2001
ChrisC1973 (Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I saw this film at the cinema earlier this year. I went with a friend to see it and had absolutely no idea what I was going to see - and therefore had no expectations about it. In a nutshell the film is a documentary on how hard life is when you're homeless. It's set in the subway tunnels, underneath one of the busiest cities in the world - New York. The film follows a particular group of homeless individuals in their quest to build their own community away from the "outside world". Even though the film is at times quite dark, in places it is very funny and is something that each and every one of us in the "outside world" should be forced to watch - to make us more tolerant and understanding of people who do not have access to the opportunities that most of us do. This has to be the most thought provoking film I have ever seen. I'm hoping the DVD answers some of the questions I have about what the people in the film are up to now.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opening film about a world we do not to see, 16 Aug 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dark days is an extraordinary piece of work that take you into another world. A world that's all around us, but, either don't notice as we're all too consumed in our own lives, or because we choose not to see it; because of our own selfishness, or preconceived thoughts and prejudices; prejudices which will be shattered by the time this film will be over.

It's a film about homelessness and homeless people - or rather - it's a film about their world; because extraordinary as it may seem (forgive me, it's been a while since I saw it as my copy was lent out and never returned, so I forget which city it was in - maybe New York?) but in a certain American city - underneath the streets and subway - is a whole other city. A shanty town of cobbled together homes, powered by the current from the perilously close train tracks that run through it and surround it. But these hastily erected huts are still homes. Castles in fact. Places the characters we meet and follow are immensely proud of. Places they've lovingly built and put together over the years, building, improving and adding extensions too, just like us everyday folk, and decorated with what few personal belongings they've gathered together over the years in an effort to salvage some sort life, worth, or dignity, which the world - at first glance - it seems has taken away... or has it?

The people we meet are truly extraordinary, and their stories as inspiring as they are upsetting. From the 17 year child to the oldest and wisest amongst them - Dark Days shines a light on the plight of these people and you realise that 'there but for the grace of God go I' and in fact, far from being above them (as some of us may or may not think) would we manage to cope as well if we were in their boots? Are they in fact above us in many, many ways.

I also seem to remember a lot of good extras on the DVD too - particularly about the struggle to get the film made, and for those who are into music - the quest to get DJ Shadow involved too. He supplied the soundtrack. Ultimately, Dark days is a film that everyone should be forced to watch at least once in their lives. Sadly, I see the price people are asking for this film now means that may not happen.

An other really good thing about this film is - is as much as it is sad and upsetting to watch - it's ultimately up lifting and there's a good, happy outcome. Watch it. Be amazed. Be inspired. Be thankful. And be enlightened by a film called Dark Days. Special recognition should be mentioned here to the film makers for having the guts to make this film. It took bravery on many levels I think.

If this review was helpful please give it the thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 Aug 2006
This is a film about an aspect of life which is completely alien to most of us: homelessness. It is a film about people who are living on the edge or, to be more precise, in a railway tunnel. The main character, Greg, is an improbably chirpy man. In fact, the resilience of this group of homeless people is amazing. However, the purpose of this film is not just to provide the viewer with a possibly voyeuristic glimpse into an unknown world; it is the means by which these people are able to abandon this bleak existence. Amazingly, nearly all of the participants were able to return to a normal existence above ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!!, 15 April 2005
I saw this DVD and couldn't believe what was being shown - people in the world's richest nation being reduced to living in subway tunnels, collecting cans for money, recovering meat from bins and, failing that, cooking the rats that share their homes. I never realised humans could be forced into this type of existence in a developed country. The director doesn't try to turn the film into any political execise, instead it is simply a story being told.
The film was shot on a low budget with the homeless actually helping the director - it was his idea to sell the film and help the homeless move out of the tunnel. The black and white film, the amazing soundtrack, the interesting - and sometimes very funny - characters, all combine to create a film with huge atmosphere.
This film is an amazing eye opener - it would be impossible for anyone to watch this film and not be moved by the story told.
As many people as posible should see this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite documentary, 23 Jan 2009
Director Marc Singer follows a group of people who have made their home in the tunnels beneath Penn Station in New York City, and the results are mesmerising. Shot in stylish black and white the film follows a group of around ten people as they strive to survive in the underground. The characters here are wonderful and have a great camaraderie- each one of them is so likeable that you will be swept up in their amazing stories. The film is deeply affecting but surprisingly funny, given the dark subject matter. I urge you to seek this one out. I am a big fan of documentaries, but have to say that this is my favourite. The extras are great- there is a commentary from the director, many deleted scenes and a written follow-up to the film, updating the lives of each of the people involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, deeply moving and ultimately uplifting film., 26 Aug 2003
Dark Days truly is a dark film - shot in the Amtrack tunnels beneath New York (using power from the trainlines) it tells the story of a small group of people who have made their lives and homes in the pitch black. Harrowing and often funny with a haunting soundtrack by DJ Shadow the film ultimately relates a story of human triumph agianst common human tribulations like bad luck, depression, drugs and prejudice. The features added when bought on DVD are excellent and give a great insight into the characters and the crew themselves.
If you like hip hop culture, good music and films that leave you thinking rather than blinking see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 26 Mar 2014
J. Colvin - See all my reviews
Great documentary film. Fascinating, dark, stark, bleak with random humourous moments full of characters. The film makers idea was to sell the film so that he could help the homeless people get off the streets which is a positive message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightfull and well made, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (2-Disc Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
This was a great insight into the plight of those who choose to live underground rather than on the streets. Horrendous conditions and sad stories. But amazing will shown by those in the film to overcome adversity. The filming was great and very artistic. Some of the interviews were very funny and some sad. But the director deserves a 5 star for this film as he actually knew the people in the film so it made it more real. Hope he makes more. There are some good extras including an audio of how he made the film as it is being shown. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an artistic film., 21 Aug 2013
Beautifully shot scenes, awesome documentary. Looks into the insight of the people who lived in this almost shantytown like place under the rails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting documentary with a great soundtrack, 29 May 2008

ARRAY(0xf82b9e4)

Dark Days (2-Disc Edition) [DVD]
Dark Days (2-Disc Edition) [DVD] by Marc Singer (DVD - 2014)
9.02