Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 February 2014
I am nearly 57, not adorned in leather, not covered in badges, pins and patches and I have no earrings or tattoos. So why have I become a slave to this album?

It has spine-tingling, anthemic choruses, awesome melody and total power over my volume control
....I see rampaging hordes of Vikings pillaging across my room
....I feel the cold breath of Ronnie James Dio on the back of my neck

Hell, in the words of a review elsewhere - this album is so metal I had grown a beard by the time it was finished...and so had my neighbours.
on 2 November 2014
Grand Magus play heavy, hook laden uncomplicated old school metal, rooted in the myths and mayhem of their Viking past.
They are a classic power trio: vocals/guitar, bass and drums, adding occasional flute, acoustic, percussion and sound effects sparsely but to great effect, as in the opening rainstorm and hoofbeats on "On hooves of gold".
Their tales of heroes and bloodshed never slip into parody, and JB's deep and wide vocal range is effective and convincing; his guitar powerful and expressive with several great solos.
The rhythm section are a tight and heavy powerhouse.
You are carried away to a fist-pumping, mead-swigging chorus-chanting meadhall where glories of yore are relived.
In short, this is proper metal and if does what it should.
This latest album is on a par with their best : "Hammer of the north" and "Iron will".
Recording and production are excellent, and the glorious sleeve art is also included as a poster.
The 180gm LP is a thing of beauty.
Recommended.
on 4 May 2014
This was "risk" purchase based on Amazon recommendation and the preview snippets on the product page. A very unpretentious, uncomplicated, straight ahead metal sound, reminiscent of the '80s NWOBHM era. You'd have thought that these avenues would have been well trodden over the years, especially when you look at somem of the track titles. but somehow Grand Magus manages to avoid cliche and sound fresh and exciting. For a three piece they don't sound like they're missing anything from the soundscape either. If you like post-Ozzy Sabbath or early 80s metal this should be right up your street. I'll have to see if I can pick up some of their back catalog now.
on 21 July 2015
This album is Fudging brilliant it is far better than the album that came before called The Hunt the riffs are just OMG and the vocals are catchy too it is like a more heavy black sabbath almost just really damn good and concise too not too long like some albums tend to be Magus are just straight to the point this album will be in your player for MONTHS
on 7 March 2014
Grand Magus have been refining their style over the last couple of albums.
While there are obvious nods to Manowar (think classic Manowar, not the parody they became after Ross the Boss left) the band is easily recognisable, not in the least because of JBs voice.
This is as good as heavy metal gets in the 21st century.
on 4 March 2014
Grand Magus have gradually over the years become one of my favourite bands of all time. Starting with their old albums; Grand Magus and Monument (Which I highly recommend picking up) of doom metal and slow heavy riffs, they have developed their style into proper hard and heavy metal. Their recent album Triumph and Power is one of their best albums to date. At first I was expecting it to grab me straight away like their previous album The Hunt did. However, after my first whole listen of the album I didn't quite appreciate what I had heard. How wrong was I after I had a few more listens, the album latched onto me and never let me go with it's heavy riffs and awesome lyrics. The album is very heavy metal focused, with deep powerful lyrics backed up with a strong and sturdy riffs which will get you banging your head and singing along with pure enthusiasm.
I give this album 5/5. Definitely worth buying, Grand Magus continue to 'Triumph' the heavy metal scene, bringing back classic heavy metal that the pioneers of the genre first developed.
on 14 February 2014
I'm not sure what the definition of old school is in metal - I wasn't there at the start - but this certainly isn't no new age post-metal cerebral show offs album. it's heavy, chuggy with robust vocals that make the whole thing sound a lot bigger than any 3 man band I've ever seen. including muse.

great album.
on 6 October 2015
VERY PLEASED
on 7 August 2015
great
on 3 March 2014
I review for an independent site, and despite being sent a free download from the label, I still bought the CD; that is how much I enjoyed the album. Check it out..........

[...]