Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 20 March 2014
It's the present - and a skeleton is found under a concrete foundation laid down in 1945. There is a ring, too, and a Luftwaffe dogtag. Flashback to 1945, and there is a POW camp where captured Luftwaffe men are held. One of them escapes. So far, so good.

Then we press on with the story. Forward and back, police, German spies, British Intelligence, then and now, up and down. Lots of badly written dialogue and mostly unnecessary characters. I found it confusing, and I wasn't gripped enough to care. When we got to the dénouement I rather felt that the author was past caring too, and just wrote down the solution.
on 22 August 2014
This book is half police procedural, half spy novel. A mix that requires perseverance, as there can be a lot of explanatory prose and skeletons that keep falling out of closets - well in this case a hole in the ground, but still. I have to confess I did quite literally lose the plot, and it was difficult to keep track of who knew what as it switched between timelines. Doubtless, a lot of stuff like this went on in WWII, and lots of repercussions during the cold war (the period the modern part of the story is set) but normally this would not have kept my interest. The fact that I really wanted to know what all the fuss was about kept me reading and considering I have no qualms in giving up books that I'm finding boring - this says a lot. The plot was interesting with plenty of tidbits introuced gradually throughout the tale to keep me engaged, and you're guessing until the end. The ending was disappointing, but it could be said inevitable as well.

What lets this book down - a lot - is the lack of personalities in the characters. They all seem to say the same things in the same way, without any indication of their own personal qualities. The author really needs to work on this to be more successful. I'm glad I read it though if only to confirm that spy novels are not really my thing!
on 17 March 2014
Since I have had my Kindle I have read books that I may never have chosen from a book shop and I have benefitted from some very worthwhile reads - this is one of them. Kept me reading to the end.
on 29 April 2014
This was an intelligent book, but was extremely hard to follow. Too many characters, agencies, bluff and counter bluff. Had to turn back sometimes to remember who was who
on 22 January 2014
Really enjoyed this book from beginning to end. The story is set in two time zones which made it even more interesting. Would highly recommend.
on 30 January 2014
Interesting premise, but sadly this book didn't do it for me. I did get to the end, but will admit I found it a chore. I felt the characters were poorly drawn and as such I had difficulty following much of the story. Disappointed.
on 16 April 2014
I really wanted to like this book because it is set in the NE which is where I live. The story outlined appealed to my love of mystery suspense thrillers and I was looking forward to enjoying the book.
Unfortunately it was tedious. I have tried hard to find a word that is less harsh to describe the book but I can't. The telling of parallel stories - 1945 and the 1986 should have added to the interest - instead it filled the book with characters and monotonous dialogue superfluous to the story. Some of the dialogue was senseless as if it had been badly translated from another language. A typical sentence - " he never returned to Amsterdam, even after he was dead" .
I'm not giving up on this author- I like to support local talent so I have downloaded his other book in the hope that he has employed an editor .
on 21 January 2014
A very good tale,deep into the world of post war spying and double dealing. almost a tale too far,highly recommended.
on 31 January 2015
The book's blurb intrigued me and the story didn't disappoint. The story is very good and I liked the way past and present events were brought together at the end.
A heavy rainstorm uncovers a body, buried beneath a concrete slab at a disused coal works in northern Britain. Alongside the buried body is a ring and an ID tag, indicating the deceased was a Luffwaffe pilot. Chapters alternate between the present day investigation and events surrounding a POW camp at the end of WW11.
The book is generally well written without typos. But, the transitions between scenes and introductions of new characters were unclear and sometimes muddled. Several times I had to flick back pages to establish what was going on. Also, dialogue was used a little to often to "dump information" and didn't always flow naturally. These two criticisms aside, I really enjoyed the story and characters and it is a worthwhile read.
I'd say, if the blurb interests you, this is well worth a download.
on 26 May 2014
I had hopes for this book. The plot summary indicated a fairly well-crafted detective story, the reviews suggested it was worth a try, and as one of the books Amazon were offering as a free Kindle offer, I thought I would give it a go. I should have known there's a reason Amazon were giving it away... it was so poorly written I only waded through 2 chapters before I had to stop. I have to assume that the author has self-published his first novel, as surely those professionals at a publishing company would never have allowed this out in this state.

The dialogue is clunky, the characters are poorly formed and their motivations and foibles are spelled out for us by the author with every exchange. Anyone who's ever taken a creative writing course is given the golden advice of "show, don't tell", but this author must have missed that lesson, preferring to power his dialogue with a drivelling list of an individual's history rather than subtly weaving that history into the way the character behaves.

I'm a bit sad about this, as the plot really did have the potential to be a great novel. If the author had been given some professional advice, and the opportunity to revise the book past what seems like it's first draft, it could have been great.