5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Couldn't fault it. I just love Heck, always doing what he shouldn't. Makes for a great read. Yet again I couldn't put it down, can't wait for November and the next instalment. Thank you Paul Finch.
Published 9 months ago by Julie G

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Published 9 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Killing Club (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT MISS THIS, best crime fiction book of '14 so far!, 22 May 2014
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I received this book for free in return for my review

Wow, this was a rollercoaster of a read and then some! You know all those old cliches, heart stopping, edge of your seat etc, all of them apply here. I thought Stalkers and Sacrifice were good but Paul has surpassed himself with this book. I predict that this will be one of my favourite crime fiction books of 2014. I am still reeling after finishing it and my heart has only just resumed its normal rhythm. The last 150 or so pages are some of the most enjoyable and thrilling pages I've read in a number of years. I was completely lost in the story and there was no question of me stopping reading until I reached the very end. Sometimes I find it hard picturing scenes in my head, but for this book it was almost like a movie was playing in my head it was so vivid.

Fans of Paul Finch will know that this book continues the story of the Nice Guys Club from Stalkers. Having read crime fiction for a number of years I've come across some pretty sick villains, but the people who are a part of and run the club are amongst some of the absolute worst. The idea behind the club, for new readers, is that for £75,000, the Nice Guys Club will abduct a woman of the buyer's choosing and provide a safe place for him to abuse and rape her before the club dispose first of the body and then of all evidence. DS Mark Heckenburg was the officer who brought down the club, nearly losing his life in the process and resulting in the arrest of its leader Mad Mike Silver, aka Peter Rochester. Enough background about this is given to the reader in the book but I can't stress enough that reading the books in order just makes the reading experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

The book opens with Superintendent Gemma Piper and her boss discussing Rochester and agreeing that Heck should play no part in their attempt to further infiltrate the club. Despite the arrest of Rochester and the death of some of its members, it is thought that there are other clubs in operation around the world and Piper and her boss want Rochester to tell them where. Before they can do that however there's the small problem of Rochester being broken out of prison and the scene that follows this was absolutely fantastic. I won't ruin it but if I had to describe it I would say it was like a scene from Breaking Bad, and it was definitely a sign of the book starting as it means to go on. Some of the scenes in this made me forget to breathe or blink I was so hooked on what I was reading. Blood and gore galore it was bloody brilliant. The top brass are of course shell shocked, and Heck is absolutely desperate for a piece of the action. As the book moves on the club become relentless in their clean up operation and the body count is immense and to be honest I found myself wanting more as the scenes themselves were fantastic to read.

Heck has unfinished business with the club but Gemma denies him any role in the investigation. Of course for Heck to roll over and take that would make for a dull read, so he then breaks every rule possible to take down the club and again nearly loses his life in the process, multiple times! The scenes with Gemma and Heck are some of my most favourite in the book, the tension and chemistry between them is ridiculous. There's a scene I loved with Gemma where she storms into an interview room to terminate an interview where Heck is the suspect in question. She's a fantastic character. Both the personal and professional relationships of Heck and Gemma were pushed to their absolute limits and I can't wait for more in the next book. All too often writers pair colleagues together just for the sake of it but here it is just so believable, the atmosphere of the two of them together on the page is electric.

The book does not let up from the word go. Just when your heart settles down something else happens and you can't read quick enough. I was rooting for Heck right from the start and loving it when he just kept involving himself in the case. He is such a multilayered and interesting character and I feel there's so much more to learn about him. The job is basically all he lives for because of his past and because he doesn't really have any family or friends. Gemma worded it as the longest suicide note in history which I felt was a bit harsh! But probably true at the same time. I certainly felt his frustration at being denied a role in the investigation and was absolutely rooting for him throughout the book. As a huge London Underground nerd I loved the parts of the book set in a disused Tube station, so atmospheric and exciting.

Overall I cannot reccommend this book enough. In the crowded world of crime fiction there's a few authors who stand out from the rest and write incredible books, Paul Finch is one such author and is now one of my favourites. If you are a fan of crime fiction you would be an absolute fool not to pick up this book. Heckenburg is also now one of my favourite fictional detectives, up there with Tom Thorne and Roy Grace, both of whom are into double figures with book releases and I hope we are reading about Heck into double figures too as I am well and truly #HookedOnHeck! I think the only problem Paul now faces is bettering this book, however I have every faith that the next book will be brilliant too, and I can't wait for it especially after the cliffhanger in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 20 July 2014
Oh what a fantastic read! I could write so many clichés about it being a page turner, unputdownable, magnificent plot etc etc.... Well of course, being Paul Finch & the irrepressible Heck it is all of these things & more, but seriously if you want a top rate crime story that has the blood fizzing in your veins then download this book NOW, at the frankly ridiculous price of 99p!

4.0 out of 5 stars Action-packed read, 8 Feb. 2015
Rating: 4*

Cover: Yay

POV: 3rd Person

One-Sentence Summary: Detective Heckenburg has to catch a serial killing gang before it kills him

Negatives: For the first third of the book I had the distinct feeling that I had come into the story halfway and it was then that I realised that this book indeed was a follow-up to the events that had occurred in Book #1 of the Heck series. Whilst I am usually quite pedantic about reading a series from start to finish, I have read quite a few good crime novels recently where I came in halfway through the series and didn't need to have any prior knowledge of the character's prior adventures. For this book, I would definitely recommend reading the first 2 books in the series.

Positives: Once you have deduced what the whole Nice Guys club/Heck deal is, then the book gets really good. The turning point for me was when the action started, namely the Heck Vs Nice Guys scene in the disused Underground station. From then onwards it is non-stop action with it all culminating in a very satisfying all out war on Holy Island.

Will I be coming back for more of Heck's adventures? I definitely think so, especially since the Heck/Gemma angle has me intrigued.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic action packed read, 22 Jan. 2015
Christine M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I read 'Stalkers' a while back and fell in love with the crazy maverick cop, Heck. Heck is a fantastic character. There is just something about him, that is special. I want him to go off on his own and get the baddies, with bullets flying in all directions. Who needs an entire police force, when you have Heck?

In 'The Killing Club' Heck is following the trail of 'Mad Mike Silver' aka Rochester, who has been sprung from jail by the 'Nice Guys Club'. We met the Nice Guys in 'Stalkers' and they weren't very nice. The Nice Guys specialise in rape and murder, for a £75,000 fee. All hell breaks loose, as the Nice Guys go on a killing rampage across the UK.

Heck unfortunately isn't allowed to be a part of the investigation into tracing the Nice Guys. It is hardly surprising that our heroic copper from the Met, goes off on his own and gets in on the action.

I wish there were more scenes with Gemma and Heck. They were my favourites. Gemma is his ex-girlfriend and his boss. She really knows him and doesn't stand for nonsense.

Recommended if you like an action packed read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yippee ki-yay!!, 31 May 2014
Heck and his best friend Gemma rent a cottage by the seaside to spend a quiet few days, but there are some rum goings on in a nearby cove…No of course not!! Heck's back and it's action all the way. The tension, action and suspense are remarkably sustained. I particularly like chapter 25. One cop on his own is the only one who can stop a gang of really bad mercenaries and ex special forces types. The problem with the Die Hard series is each episode has to be more extreme and dramatic than the previous one. This however has got to be the high point in the Heck series. It can't get any more violent than this! This book should have been later in the series as Paul Finch originally planned, with clues and references to the Nice Guys activities being dropped into the intervening books, but his publishers had other ideas. What do they know? Heck has a big enough fan base not to need this uber-violent episode to give it extra momentum. May prove to be counter-productive. I hope not

4.0 out of 5 stars More Heck, Less Gemma, 6 Feb. 2015
Another very good entry in the Heck series but not quite as good as the first two.
Heck is fast becoming one of my favorite characters in this genre. However Gemma Piper is becoming tough to take. (reason for only 4 stars). Her ambition and the ends justify the means philosophy are tiresome. Her efforts against Heck to cover up her malfeasance were unconscionable and cruel. Trying to keep Heck out of the action to cover her butt were incompetent and jeopardized resolving the mess she created.
Her arrogance and attitude at the end after Heck's efforts were unwarranted. How did she think this would end, after what she did?
It is time for Heck to move on professionally and personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars A club where membership could be the death of you., 28 July 2014
Paul Finch writes how I want to read a book, pacy, attention to detail without telling me how many ice cubes somebody has in thier drink, with believable characters that are as flawed as the rest of us.
I read a book for the same reason I go to the cinema or watch a television program, thats primarily to be entertained, thats if you find crime fiction entertaining.
So the "Killing club" fits the bill and as far as Im concerned it entertains me with its story line, individual characters and a level of nastiness that is within my parameters.
An enjoyable read that grows as the story unfolds and builds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 July 2014
Don't be put off by my title headline. This story and plot just wasn't for me but those that love action packed kinda 'Bruce willis' type of films - then you may like this. It was too action packed, full of DIE HARD villains and, Heck, the main character I found just selfish as he tended to lead so many innocent people into dangerous situations. His decisions seemed unrealistic and stupid to me. When loads of dangerous violent bad guys are after you why choose to go on a small little island only to trap yourself.
No sorry this story just did not work for me. Totally unrealistic and I don't think would have any basis in reality

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ranks amongst the genre's very best. Fast paced continuous action, 15 Aug. 2014
This was the second book by Paul Finch that I have read. I read lots of action orientated crime thrillers.
This book ranks amongst the genre's very best. Fast paced continuous action, a great twisty plot and fine characterisations.
Great to see a another British writer achieving the same impact and totally gripping narrative that the outstanding players, like Lee Child and David Baldacci deliver when at their very best. Buy it. Give Paul the success and fame he deserves.
It would make a terrific movie!