Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 March 2014
Unfortunately I found this disappointing. I do have many of these tracks on other dvd's etc. in my collection, but this does not live up to many of those that I already have. Many of the E Street Band members were not included, including Clarence, who is a big loss in many ways.
on 14 April 2014
People who understand Springsteen will acknowledge that the music he releases that is sometimes not instantly gratifying matures and grows upon multiple listening. People are often too quick to leave reviews and I would say it takes at least 10 listenings to fully appreciate the strength of this album. Ok, it's not his most impressive work, but it is still a great album. If you like Bruce, it's a must buy!
on 14 January 2014
I once joked that if Bruce brought out a record of nursery rhymes I'd buy it,such was my level of uncritical fandom. As time has gone on,I've admired the creative output in the main,but this feels like my favourite uncle had given me a novelty sweater with holes in it and asked me to pay for the wool. Given that Tom Morello features on seven of the 12 tracks here,you might be forgiven for thinking that this is Bruce's tribute to TM for standing on for his longtime consigliere,Steve Van Zandt during part of the Wrecking Ball tour:further reinforced by Bruce's liner notes thanking TM.
The reason I was not swept away,was the lack of a narrative throughout the album which Bruce has generally made us accustomed to hearing. I hate the version of "41 Shots"(American Skin)-deprived of it's live,basic eerie setting and replaced by studio production,it loses the passion with which he sang it on the "Live in New York" album,in the same way that I felt his decision to remaster "Land of Hope and Dreams" for the Wrecking Ball album was to despoil the live versions. Just like Fire Would.This is Your Sword and the Ghost of Tom Joad were passable but not items that I would feel privileged to hear in a setlist. if the album is High Hopes,I'd caution the fan to have low expectations

...and so to the DVD...

Born In the USA evokes particularly fond memories for me as I was first lucky enough to see him perform at Wembley Stadium on Independence Day 1985. Eight concerts attended encompassing several tours led me to hope that Born in the USA would feature in his London leg of the Wrecking Ball tour. The day was sunny ,which made a pleasant change from the drenching I received at Hard Rock Calling in 2012. London crowds aren't NECESSARILY the most boisterous, noisy and atmospheric,but the singing on "My Hometown" is good. Other standouts- the blur of Mighty Max Weinberg's sticks driving BITUSA to a close and Jake Clemons 'outstanding solo on "I'm Going Down" Bruce would appear to favour his live London recordings given that-Live at Hammersmith,two Hyde Park Concerts(albeit the latter is a half hour extra selection on Bruce and I and now this one hour six minute extract from his concert at The Olympic Park London 2013 have made it to dvd. Set this against one live dvd in New york City and one in Barcelona,and the English segment of Bruce's fans(of which I am an unworthy many) are fortunate indeed to be able to relive some of their favourite moments. To attend one of his concerts is to be able to affirm a love for life and Bruce. If you didn't get a ticket,this is the next best thing...
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
My partner loves this CD as his birthday present.

Thank you very much and I would recommend to all my friends and family.

Best wishes to all your future sales.

Cristina Santos.
on 25 February 2014
and in many ways I do. It's certainly an improvement on one or two of Springsteen's recent albums (especially Working on a Dream and to some extent Magic), and it's a new sound. The longer (and louder) reworking of Tom Joad is really, really good. But the one thing that really bugs me about it is that I can barely make out any of the lyrics. I've been buying and enjoying the Boss's music since the heady days of Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, Human Touch and Lucky Town, and there aren't many of his albums that I haven't got or don't listen to. So I know that he's always had a tendency to throw out his lyrics in a sort of tense slur. But this one goes just that bit too far in that direction for me to award High Hopes any more than 4 stars.
on 29 January 2014
I have been a Bruce fan since the '70's and have bought all the albums since then, There has been some right duff ones along the way, this is one of his best ever. Don't be put off by the fact there are some tracks that have appeared on previous albums, they stand their own ground on this album. In fact, "The Ghost of Tom Joad" has become my new favourite Bruce track of all time.

If (dread the the thought) you don't know who Tom Joad was, read "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Stienbeck (available from a certain on line book seller for a very reasonable price), it is one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written. So for me to have Bruce (one of the greatest singers of all time) to be singing about a character from one of the greatest books of all time, I am going to like it!

Buy this album and play it loud and play it often, your life will be the richer for it.
on 14 February 2014
Disappointing cd, with tracks of variable quality. He seems to have adopted some sound effects used by modern groups on some tracks, rather than sticking to his traditional blue collar blues format.

The DVD on the other hand, of his live performance in London in 2013, demonstrates what the Boss is all about. All popular songs performed enthusiastically in front of a massive crowd. I have seen him live twice, and would have loved to be at this concert!
on 10 November 2014
I give it three stars because Springsteen doesn't deserve to get any less but this is a far cry from his great early albums and perhaps he should just carry on doing the incredible live shows and give the recording a miss from now on.
I have been a Springsteen for years and have all his albums. It is fair to say I like some more than others but is probably fair today they are all of a high standard. His last Wrecking Ball was the one of the best of his career and arguably his best......a hard album to follow. It is unfair to compare this to previous albums as it is unlike most of his previous albums in that it contains new versions of old songs and songs by other writers. In that sense it is a bit of a mishmash but a mishmash of Springsteen is better than almost anyone else! The first track High Hopes is great Springsteen. Harry's Place is ok but I could have done without the swearing which I don't like and I always consider unnecessary. What follows is very good and in truth there is not a track to skip over. Mention must be made of the new version of the Ghost of Tom Joad. The original version was ok as was the album it was from but this is the better version for me....much more Springsteen.......and the songs works really well with the rock arrangement. I also like the cover of Dream Baby Dream much more than the original. Springsteen is in very good voice. The production is good and the mix for me spot on. Tom Morello adds a freshness and energy to the album which makes it well worth a listen. It's a great CD. Unfair to compare it to wrecking Ball or Born to Run which are more coherent as albums but it is a really good listen which Springsteen fans new and old should enjoy. The deluxe version includes a DVD of one of his concerts in London in 2013 in which he played The Born in the USA album live.........brilliant.........great DVD.......great concert........wish I had been there but seeing it on DVD is some compensation. The DVD makes the deluxe version worth the extra........I am not at all disappointed with this release. It has been listened to over and over again and will continue to be. Another worthy addition to my Springsteen collection. To be going for so long and still at the top is outstanding.......what an artist.....Highly recommended
on 16 March 2014
Any Bruce Springsteen is better than most other artists nowadays. Very interesting to hear the re worked versions of some of his older songs. But worth buying for the brilliant DVD that showcases his run through ( in order) all if the Born In The USA album. Each song performed to perfection. Watch the band all having fun and especially Max Weinbergs work rate!