4.0 out of 5 stars quality modern day fusion
After spending some time over the years searching for the holy grail of modern electric jazz I found Tony Williams but over time I become frustrated with the lack of contemporary bands with a similar dynamic. However, I am pleased to say that Troyka are very much in that zone and good at it they are too.
The album features some great ruffneck guitar work coupled with...
Published on 29 May 2010 by Mr. R. J. Bultitude

1.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bands! Amazon incompetence.
Published 16 months ago by jonhd

4.0 out of 5 stars quality modern day fusion, 29 May 2010
Mr. R. J. Bultitude (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troyka (MP3 Download)
The album features some great ruffneck guitar work coupled with crisp off kilter drum grooves reminicent of that golden era of jazz rock that later became known as 'fusion'.
Troyka are at times playful and at others quite considered. I'm already looking forward to their second album; who knows where a young band like this might go...

5.0 out of 5 stars What the critics have said, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Troyka (Audio CD)
"...the virtuosity and power of the jamming makes your hair stand on end." Guardian ****

"A fascinating conjunction of dance-derived beats, abstract electronica, ambient music, Schofield-like guitar funk, and John Zorn-ish free-iazz." Guardian Film & Music

"Troyka are widely tipped to create the kind of interest that Acoustic Ladyland and Polar Bear made when they first arrived on the London scene." Observer Music Monthly ****

"Mingus-meets-Motorhead melange of garage rock, improvised jazz, metronomic beats and extreme volume." Independent ****

Cerebral without being self-consciously playful without seeming glib, this fine debut is simply
bursting with intelligence and wit. Jazzwise ****

"Troyka freely mix genres and influences, but their pallette is dance-based and heavily amplified."
Financial Times

"Troyka are fast becoming a force to be reckoned with; like King Crimson for the iPod generation."
Time Out

"Troyka are yet another young London combo who are inhabiting the increasingly vibrant scene that's devoted to the uninhibited collision between jazz, rock, free improvisation and funky jamming." BBC online

"The sound is stripped-down, intricate yet raw, even garage-bluesy in places, with a smart use of loops and a brilliant understanding of rock dynamics." Metro

"Their hot math-rock licks compress throbbing dub bass, bristling bottleneck blues, gltichy Alphex Twin bleeps and excessively catching tunes into a gusty head spinning whirl of futuristic prog". Time Out

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Album, 1 Dec. 2009
M. Brodermann - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troyka (MP3 Download)
Troyka demonstrate both their originality and formidable talent through this album. The abstract nature juxtaposed with subtle yet precise, engaging melodies makes for such a wonderfully produced album. Montague exploits all the guitar has to offer and his technique in delivering improvised finesse leaves nothing to be desired.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bands! Amazon incompetence., 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Troyka (Audio CD)
As per the previous review... I searched on Troyka, hit this page, read the first couple of reviews, which confirmed it was what I was looking for (the contemporary UK 3-piece jazz band), and placed my order. I then headed-off to the Amazon Cloud to download my stuff, in advance of the CD - like I always do. It was only then, when listening to the playback, that I realised that what I had bought was not what the reviews were referring to. So, I immediately cancelled my order.
According to Amazon's T's&C's, I will be charged for the MP3 version of the album. (I.e. whatever the screw-up, they're always right.)
I guess you could say that I was lax in not investigating this webpage ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Troyka/dp/B00GUP9PG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393438977&sr=8-1&keywords=troyka ) more thoroughly, before purchasing... Not the way I see it - to have a mixture of 2 entirely different (but identically named) bands on the same webpage is incompetent, on Amazon's part.
To ensure I don't do the same thing again, I'll head off to base.com and see whether they've got what I want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over King Crimson, 31 Dec. 2012
Steve Bachini (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troyka (Audio CD)
For people like me who love jazz-rock but hate both the sound of the saxophone and excessive noodling, your floor must also be littered with jazz purchases you can't listen to. No such problem with this album. The closest thing to compare this music to would be the King Crimson Projekcts but having said that Troyka is much more musical. There is plenty of contemplative gentle stuff with wonderful little motifs on the rock-style guitar and vintage-sounding keyboard, with a backdrop of electronic weirdness. Then the pace will suddenly pick up and we have some power riffs thrown in but somehow they have maintained a sense of intimacy. So, it's definitely quirky in style with the choice of both sounds and tempi, and there is an oddly pleasing sensation as the music speeds up and slows down. I'll admit that there is a small amount of noodling - well they have to get it out of their systems I suppose but it doesn't detract for me. The over-all result is a well-honed 45 minutes of brilliance rather than an over-stretched hour. (Let's have more 40 minute albums!)

I bought this on the strength of a Guardian newspaper recommendation without listening first, and have to say it is excellent. Highly recommended to fans of King Crimson improvs and the more difficult bits of Radiohead. I can't fault it and have played it a lot in the last few months so it's a clear 5. Try to play it on some decent hi-fi.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!, 24 Nov. 2012
be careful when buying this product as the Troyka in the description are not the Troyka in the photograph. The pictured Troyka are a canadian prog/psyche band from the late 60's early 70's.

Troyka
Troyka by Troyka (Audio CD - 2014)