Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.08

on 12 December 2013
The story itself was very enjoyable, and the characters were easy to like...if not a little stupid at times. I gave this 3 stars purely because I really enjoyed reading the story, however it was full of mistakes or things that made no sense whatsoever. I'll give a brief list:

1. Dead bodies do not bleed. That is a fact. However, zombies frequently spray blood or fountain blood when shot, slashed or beaten. So that really took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

2. At one point whilst on a ship there is a ship-wide announcement stating everyone should get to battle stations. It ends with an ear-piercing scream of pain or horror...yet the main character just ambles around the ship and is shocked to find things are amiss. Everyone to battle stations followed by the sound of someone screaming should make you automatically think 'something isn't right here'. But no, he just wanders around and continually acts shocked that anything is amiss.

3. For the last 25% of the book the author mixes two characters names up constantly. It can easily be done...but characters are different genders and under the circumstances it just should be very hard to mix those two up. It really had me struggling to get through as it slowed the flow down incredibly.

4. One of the main characters is named Joel Kelly. The author referrers to pretty much everyone by their first name. Except for Joel. He is either called 'Joel', 'Joel Kelly' (this one is used a lot and it REALLY drags the pace of reading down) or 'Kelly'. There was no consistency to the usage of the name and it really was annoying.

5. Speech is often badly punctuated. Commas are often omitted for no reason at all.

But, negative aspects aside, it is a an enjoyable read but it really could have benefited from an editor. It also doesn't have an ending. You have to go to a website to read more.
on 23 February 2014
Slow to start this story soon ramps up into a cracking tale. The main characters are easy to identify with and their relationship is spiced with some typically military humour which nicely cuts through some of the tighter and more gruesome situations they find themselves in. I enjoyed this book, hope you do too.
on 14 December 2015
I wasn't too sure at first but after a chapter or so I was hooked, love the characters and the story line so much so that I have just downloaded the 4th book in the series (read the other 3 in less than a week) very late nights as they are page turners!
on 15 March 2016
I just loved this,action,action,a bit of a rest. Terror,blood,guts,suspense.
Despite trying not to I found myself reading full steam ahead,frequently going and doing other things to distract myself and make this book last longer. Didn't really work.
God Damn you Mr Long,God Damn you to zombie heck.
on 25 September 2015
I enjoyed this book..I like the way the book is done. It's kind of in the form of a journal written from a characters point of view on a daily basis or as and when he gets chance..I can't wait to read the series again in anticipation of the fourth book being released. And I've already read them..
on 6 March 2016
Grisly but humorous, I enjoyed this book. From the ship to their hideout it's a veritable bloodbath as they try to survive. Cliffhangers can be annoying, but this one leads seamlessly into book 2.
on 8 September 2014
Seemed a bit slow and only picked the pace up in the second half,the main character seemed a bit slow,but still is a good read,a lot of unanswered questions hopefully will be revealed in part two
on 3 December 2013
I have not read this author before but I was entertained by this crisply written tale of military v zombie mayhem. The tale features likeable characters with recognisable and amusing repartee, plus well described skirmishes and battles with the dead. Am very interested to see where Mr Long takes his characters next.

My name is David, reviewer. I am still alive.
on 7 November 2014
Great book likeable caractures kind of made you feel the plight they were going through , loved it .
on 9 March 2016
It was a great read looking forward to reading the next one.