Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
This really needed an editor!
on 12 December 2013
The story itself was very enjoyable, and the characters were easy to like...if not a little stupid at times. I gave this 3 stars purely because I really enjoyed reading the story, however it was full of mistakes or things that made no sense whatsoever. I'll give a brief list:
1. Dead bodies do not bleed. That is a fact. However, zombies frequently spray blood or fountain blood when shot, slashed or beaten. So that really took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.
2. At one point whilst on a ship there is a ship-wide announcement stating everyone should get to battle stations. It ends with an ear-piercing scream of pain or horror...yet the main character just ambles around the ship and is shocked to find things are amiss. Everyone to battle stations followed by the sound of someone screaming should make you automatically think 'something isn't right here'. But no, he just wanders around and continually acts shocked that anything is amiss.
3. For the last 25% of the book the author mixes two characters names up constantly. It can easily be done...but characters are different genders and under the circumstances it just should be very hard to mix those two up. It really had me struggling to get through as it slowed the flow down incredibly.
4. One of the main characters is named Joel Kelly. The author referrers to pretty much everyone by their first name. Except for Joel. He is either called 'Joel', 'Joel Kelly' (this one is used a lot and it REALLY drags the pace of reading down) or 'Kelly'. There was no consistency to the usage of the name and it really was annoying.
5. Speech is often badly punctuated. Commas are often omitted for no reason at all.
But, negative aspects aside, it is a an enjoyable read but it really could have benefited from an editor. It also doesn't have an ending. You have to go to a website to read more.