Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2014
I’ve long been a fan of Brad Mehldau, and I have no problem with him branching off from the standard piano trio. While there are some good tracks on this album, there are as many throw-aways. The first track is very self-absorbed, with Brad reading a text about a dream he had; the same text that’s in the liner notes. Several tracks have voices speaking over them, which detract from the music. While there are some good sounds on this album, it really comes across as a hodgepodge of different types of music, with no firm direction.

I like Hungry Ghost, Swimming and a couple of others. But the title track is a waste, Gainsbourg is annoying, and some of the others are just mediocre. This isn't like Miles Davis discovering electricity; what Mehldau and Guiliana are doing is nothing groundbreaking. They have a lot of potential, and this album shows that they could go far, but they need to be more discerning with what they release.

Oh, and "Mehliana?" Couldn't they have come up with something better than that?
on 7 March 2014
Surely I cannot be the only one who really likes this album. Yes, it is a departure from his normal body of work and may not have hit it's targets every time but there is more imagination in any single one of these tracks than in the whole albums currently being released. Kudos to you Brad for having a go!
on 11 March 2014
Brad Mehldau goes Return to Forever or whatever??? Its potent powerplay all the way through and the spoken-word-opening – well – I liked it. A lot. I hear BM experimenting with new scales and new soundscapes and the drumwork is stunning.
Do not expect standard piano trio. It is like an abstract painting in playful, bright color. Its fresh, its new, and for some reason I had a flashback to Return to forever in some moments.
on 12 April 2014
I have collected this artist for a while, usually solo, his trio or with Pat Metheny. All are good in their own way. This collaboration I found a little lighter compared to earlier work but none the less enjoyable for it.
on 21 April 2014
There are some good tracks on this - the drumming is superlative as you would expect but the voice over on a couple of tracks is annoying and definitely not necessary - spoils an otherwise acceptable album
on 22 April 2014
What a brave piece of work. The whole album stands up as a coherent opus. An absolute breath of fresh air. The interwoven speech parts work so well. Great playing by both musicians.
on 16 April 2014
Saw a review of Brad Mehldau and thought, sounds interesting - and wow, his collaboration with Mark Guiliana icertainly was.
Just loved listening to each track and still can't decide which is my favourite - so the title song Taming he Dragon & also You Can't Go Back Now are the ones that stand out. The use of electronic sound in music on the album is new to me and as I 'wow' - I would recommend the album to all old 'fogies' like myself, to ensure our minds stay open. Don't leave it on the shelf - get it and enjoy listening.
on 10 January 2015
Brad Mehldau is a genius however on CD this synthetic music is awful. The must is monotonous and the bad language is unacceptable when playing in the car with children. The album is quite boring and nothing compared to Mehldau's Village Vanguard albums, all stunning jazz exploratory works , this album is nothing like these
on 7 March 2014
I have been a long time fan of Brad Mehldau, his solo, duo and trio music. He has done some experimenting in the past which was interesting and grew on me. However, This time I killed the dragon and returned this CD to the store. Why, because I knew I would never listen to this self indulgent music again.
on 13 April 2014
Brad has turned out some good but unexceptional work in the past but with this release he has certainly "upset the fan apple cart."
I have to applaud the creativity here, stunningly good sound engineering & good hi-fi demo disc. The presence and relations to life events (driving is but one obvious area from the opening track) also engender involvement in the cause of creativity & musicianship.
As mentioned in other reviews, the drumming is quite exceptional.....however the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
I hope that Brad continues to pursue this "new" path and look forward to more of this style of work.