Format: DVD|Change

on 30 July 2014
This is a merry post war ditty directed by Betty Box and produced by Peter Rogers, apparently it was the time when these two icons of British film first got together and before they subsequently married. The late 1940's was a time of rationing and post war reconstruction and there were a few films made at this time that tried to lift the post war gloom and look at the lighter side of life and this was clearly one. The humour is layered and you need to watch the film more than once to appreciate it. Its Not Cricket is a film of its time and if you want to understand a little of how post war Britons got their laughs this is a good example. Watch out for a cameo from Diana Dors, one of her first screen roles.
Memory has been known to play tricks on me and let me down. This is a prime example of just that. I am very fond of "Charters and Caldicot" from "The Lady Vanishes", here they are Major Bright and Capt Early, and their names sum up the level of comedy. It's not the fault of the actors tho Maurice Denham overacts outrageously, it's the script by Lyn Lockwood and Bernard Mcnabb. Clumsy and mostly not funny (tho I admit to smiling occasionaly) there isn't much the actors can do. The climax is a cricket match and it is so badly directed that I was almost tempted to fast forward (but I didn't). The plot, such as it is, is actually quite good and Radford and Wayne do their best, but seem a bit lost. Did I enjoy it? I admit to being disapointed. That could be me on a bad viewing day, tho I don't think so, and my enjoyment factor was low. I suppose I can recomend to fans Radford and Wayne-Just, but fans of comedy may wish to look elsewhere. Or completely ignore my thoughts and take a chance. HOWEVER-The film was further spoilt for me by a very dark print from Strawberry. So dark in places I couldn't follow the action. If Renown and Network can produce good quality transfers why can't Strawberry.?
on 23 September 2014
A very quirky little film this, with an odd but amusing start…..

The tale centres around two bumbling, though hugely affable, Army Intelligence officers (Major Bright and Captain Early) who are based in post-war Germany. They are played by the instantly recognisable Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne. Funny, I didn’t recognise the latter name, but the chap himself instantly!

All around the sector, the talk is of an escaped Nazi War Criminal (possibly a little insensitive, but certainly not done offensively!) - one “Otto Fisch” portrayed farcically by our very own Maurice Denham. It’s certainly a type of role I’ve not seen him in before. Otto is known for his mastery of disguises…..

Now it is of course only a matter of time before our dynamic duo (Bright & Early – get it?) and the cunning Otto’s paths meet……..

Time for a spot of leave for Bright and Early (perhaps more appropriately “Dim and Late”!), and their trusty batman prepares to drive them (via a sailing) back to Blighty. Now the Batman (played by one of my favourite actors - Leslie Dwyer, forever remembered as the rather fond of a drink, child disliking Punch and Judy man Mr Partidge in Hi-De-Hi) whilst on the way to meet our boys meets an untimely demise……. So who do you think takes his place? That’s it, you’re getting the idea. Unsurprisingly, the dopey duo fail to recognise him, and accept his weak reason for replacing their usual chap!

Of course once it is realised that our poor dim-witted friends unwittingly aided the escape, there’s nothing left for it: The chop, Demob!

What follows is a bungling chain of events as our lads attempt to make their way in Civvy Street.

Lots of mishaps along the way, with an absolutely hilarious scene at the theatre, culminating in an even more farcical, and equally funny ending.
Blink and you’ll miss a very young (dare I say rather sexy?) Diana Dors who plays a very small part.

Whilst not Oscar material, this is a genuinely funny (and as I noted right at the beginning) quirky little film that’s worthy of a place in a collection if you (as I do) love old British Movies!

It was co-produced by none other than Peter Rogers (in one of his very earliest films) best known of course for his producing of the evergreen Carry on series.
on 26 May 2014
This is one film I having been hoping would come out on DVD for years, it may be black and white but it is still funny, not side splitting humour , just gentle rib tickling, not to be missed.
on 12 April 2014
Watchable, predictable, for me the main joy was watching actors I grew up with in my youth starting out on their film careers.
on 11 June 2014
Although it's always a pleasure to watch Basil Radford and Naughton Wayne this film is a little lightweight but still worth a visit. However the high price may put some people off.
on 4 September 2014
A classic British (English) comedy of its era. Witty and understated with the ubiquitous cricket game as a finale.
on 20 August 2015
LOVELY FILM FROM 1949. SUPERB PACKING. DELIVERED ON TIME. WELL DONE TO ALL CONCERNED. THANK YOU.
on 22 February 2016
Daft from the beginning to the end, but, you just have to laugh!
on 23 March 2015
A great little film,simple and very very English.