4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Backdrop.
Shetland is based on the Ann Cleeves novels featuring the detective Jimmy Perez and I feel they have translated to the small screen just as successfully as Cleeves female detective Vera Stanhope in the series Vera.

Shetland returns for a second series in the form of three two-part stories and comprises the episodes:-

Raven Black: When the body of a...
Published 7 months ago by Pigwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why?
After reading, and enjoying, all the books in the Shetland series, I was incredibly excited to watch the DVD....a very welcome birthday present from my husband. I was only disappointed that my favourite book in the series, White Nights, did not make it in to the DVD. So, what is the verdict? Whilst I have enjoyed the atmospheric, nervy filming, the excellent casting...
Published 4 months ago by Maitacap

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Backdrop., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)

Raven Black: When the body of a teenage girl is found on a deserted beach D.I. Jimmy Perez leads the investigation into her murder and it seems the case may be linked to the unsolved disappearance of a young girl nineteen years earlier.

Dead Water: A journalist is killed in a road accident and it emerges he was an old pal of Perez. As the investigation progresses it seems the victim Jerry's, return to Shetland was connected to plans for a controversial new gas pipeline.

Blue Lightening: This double episode has shades of Agatha's Christie's "And Then There Were None" as when a scientist is discovered murdered in a bird sanctuary on Fair Isle and Perez returns to his childhood home to investigate a storm forces Perez and the suspects to remain enclosed under the same roof.

The stories are well crafted and interesting with a credible number of potential suspects, the acting is of a high quality and the regular cast has been well-chosen; also the series has attracted some fine guest stars including the wonderful Brian Cox in the opening episode. The rugged Shetland landscape with its long stretches of beach, cliffs and hillsides forms a wonderful backdrop for these murder mysteries. In fact, one of the things I appreciate most about Shetland is Shetland itself which at times has an almost Nordic bleakness and at other times we see the Island in summer sunshine; the long, long summer nights often give rise to insomnia.

A captivating and beautiful setting which adds to the series' allure.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this series to viewers in general but in particular to fans of the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't had the good press that it deserves, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Quite why 'Shetland' hasn't had the acclaim that other crime thrillers have had is lost on me.
Okay, so it's not as thrilling as some other 'thrillers', but its slow paced brooding nature perfectly matches the setting and the feeling of isolation is palpable.
More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best detective drama in a long while, 17 April 2014
HJ (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I like this nearly as much as The Bridge, in fact I can't quite decide if I like it even a little more than that but The Bridge wins because of the neutral colour tones and it's quite cinematic, plus it can also be rather amusing in parts, but as I say I like Shetland next best. I don't know the crime stats but I suspect murder is less common there than the series allows but that is the only 'flaw' for me and an easy one to live with. What Shetland does have going for it is the beautiful scenery, it's low-key, like nordic noir, and I find it entirely unpredictable whereas with most homegrown detective drama I don't watch because it's too paint by numbers and often easy to work out. I also find the motivations of the crimes to be plausible, and the nature of the crimes themselves, not ridiculously over the top. The characters are all well fleshed out, too and Jimmy Perez is a very likeable DI, what comes across is a genuine concern for people (and animals, more specifically the raven in first story of second series) but no pushover, someone who is proficiently astute, and pleasingly soft-spoken. I was surprised to like this second series as much as I do because I found the first story of series one to be only average and I did find that case a little far-fetched, but on the back of series two I can't wait for more. A bonus to have strong guest roles, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series if you can understand what they are saying, 5 Nov 2014
Aletheuon (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
This struck me as quallity television, with wonderful atmosphere, great characters and good storylines. Unfortunately, I could understand less than one word in five, so my grasp of the plot is pretty tenuous and I gave up before the end. Scots accents can be a bit impenetrable to those of us born south of the border, but the problem was compounded by the fact that much of the dialogue was 'naturalistic' and speech was often both quiet and quickly spoken. Such a shame, because I think I'd have enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Yank', who loved it, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Shetland is a terrific little detective show very much in the vein of "Single Handed" the wonderful rural Irish Police drama. This show follows DI Doug Henshall and his very good supporting cast thru several cases that are thoughtful and compelling. Unlike most American 'cop shows', this series has no car chases or violent gun play--its the story & the brains of the 'coppers' that matters. Thank god the show HAS SUBTITLES for us hearing impaired folk. Even with the closed captions many of the names for things (like a house) these fine folks use will not make sense to Americans, but you quickly catch on and then truly appreciate the pace of these films and you will want to move there for the landscape. Bring on another season of this fine show!

5.0 out of 5 stars waiting impatiently..., 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Can not wait to obtain the DVD for my mum, I read the books & am watching the series now, I know its something she will love too. I think Douglas Henshall is brilliant as inspector Perez, just as I imagined, wonderful scenery, set in a beautiful part of the world, love it so much would highly recommend it to anyone who loves murder mystery, drama & crime investigation away from the beaten track..

5.0 out of 5 stars The acting is great, the scenery outstanding and the series something different ..., 4 Nov 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
The acting is great, the scenery outstanding and the series something different to the usual run of the mill crime programme. You really warm to the characters and the whole community on the island. Nice to have a change from the ordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherland - Series 1-2, 9 Jun 2014
Jacquelene Murphy (Morayfield, Queensland, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this detective series. I could hardly understand a word that was spoken, but I did not care. Inspector Jimmy Perez, I could pick up most of what he was saying, but his female assistance I could only catch the odd word. The other actors some of what was being said. This was a very natural series, to the extent that I almost felt that I was involved in the storyline. I will watch it again and hopefully pick up more of the dialogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Shetland mysteries, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I was a late comer to this programme and just wanted something different. No glamour rubbish and over filmed locations of countryside that doesnt exist! You know the type! Soo i bought this DVD after catching a few episodes on TV. We have enjoyed it very much. If you want decent plots and normal dour characters then this is your lot. Looking for Hollyood glamour - then nah. Not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shetland series, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Just finished last night.. I had already read the books but that did not detract from the pleasure of watching the series.. some changes (Perez's daughter..)
At first I thought they were rather slow (compared to Vera !) but as was fitting to the background of the islands the pace was perfect.
very enjoyable...

Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] by Douglas Henshall (DVD - 2014)