4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, gradual romance
Published 20 months ago by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars a sensitive book, and sad content
I was not aware of the content, therefore it should be made plain to people who have lost loved ones, especially babies, that there is content which could upset them.
Published 12 months ago by R Gough

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, gradual romance, 1 Dec. 2013
S. Richards - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a sweet, slow romance, really gradual in the build-up of the relationship. If you're looking for something to take your time with, this is it. It's not fast love, nor is it loaded with sex scenes. It's more about two wounded souls learning to love again. Ryke and Kate meet in a grief support group; he's dealing with the loss of his wife, and Kate's coping with the loss of her stillborn baby.

The book opens with Kate and her loss, and if you're sensitive to that topic, you will be affected by that. I cried over it. It wasn't gratuitous but was emotional and sad. She's only twenty-two years old, and she's hurt and lost, trying to figure out how to deal with grief, guilt, and depression. But I don't want you to think all the book is sad or depressing. It's not. Kate is coping and becoming stronger and more sure as the story unfolds.

Ryke is so hot and sweet. A twenty-seven-year-old NHL hockey pro, big and tough and gorgeous. It's been two years since his wife died, but he still feels some guilt and regret over his marriage. And something about the sad, brown-eyed blonde telling her story to the group reaches out and touches him. There is a bond there with him and Kate; bound together first by a common feeling of loss and grief, and then bound by a feeling of love and need. Ryke has his own issues to deal with where his wife is concerned, and both h/H help each other to move on.

Told in first-person with dual POV, Bound is an easy read, despite the subject matter. It flowed well, didn't feel too heavy or sad, but does have some tender, emotional moments to it. This is more steamy/sexy than erotic, just a slow, sweet read about two people overcoming deep emotional hurt and who are ready to love and live again. A stand-alone story complete with a sweet "I love you."

I wouldn't mind if the author decided to write a story about Ryke's friend Luke. Maybe pair him with Kylie? That would be nice. I'm always up for a good hockey romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely story., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. It deals with the aftermath of loss in a positive way. Ryke is a pro Hockey player who has experienced his own sad losses in life and Kate who is reeling from her own experiences. This story didn't pull any punches- I was only 5% into the book and both Ryke and Kate's losses were laid bare. This is not a depressing book, it is uplifting and had me rooting for the H/H from the very start. It is funny in places and the supporting characters weave their way into this love story beautifully. It is also poignant and sad in places. If you have lost a baby or had a bereavement you may find parts of the story harder to read. Satisfying ending. Next book , 'Captive' continues with their story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Hockey Fans, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was browsing through Goodreads, graving to read some angsty, romantic new adult fiction, I came across Bound by Brenda Rothert. The moment I realized that its love interest is a hockey player, I knew that I would have to read it.

Bound introduces us to Kate Camden. After a short relationship with a guy called Quinn, she gets pregnant during her senior year in college. After Quinn bails, Kate has gotten used to the idea of raising her child alone. But then something very tragic and unexpected happens and Kate has to figure out her life again. In a support group for people dealing with grief, Kate meets Jason Ryker, who's also trying to figure out his tragic past. As a young NHL hockey player, Jason is used to having it all – a career, the body and a beautiful wife. But then tragedy strikes and he, much like Kate, is forced to figure out how to go on.

Though I cannot identify with Kate's grief, I really felt for her. Rothert writes about grief very honestly, which I, as someone who has gone through my own battles with grief, really appreciated. It was great to read how Kate slowly starts to get better – she starts to look for a job, she connects with her old friends and she meets Jason. What I really liked about this novel is the fact that Kate does not need saving, and Jason does not expect to be the one that could make everything better for her. Yes, he makes her happy, but in the end, they both realize that in order to Kate to go on, she herself much make that decision.

Oh Jason Ryker. I really liked out. Those who know me are probably almost too aware of the fact that I love hockey. It has been such a big part of my life for such a long time and pretty much since I can remember having “celebrity crushes”, most of them have been ice hockey players. So reading about a handsome, gentle and funny ice hockey player really was a treat for me. I really loved the fact that Jason wasn't one of those super dark, mysterious new adult love interests that often are also way too temperamental and occasionally violent. Yes, Jason is passionate, but not at any point did I feel like he would harm Kate, physically or mentally. He's gentle and understanding and due to his own grief, understand what Kate is going through. Yes, he wants to be with Kate and he does make that clear to her, but he never pushes her to do anything that she does not want to do.

Bound is written in a way that really made me want to keep turning the pages, as a result of which I read this whole book on one sitting. Yes, it might be kind of predictable, but aren't all romances predictable one way or another? I think with books like this the point is seeing how the end is reached, what happens in between. And what happened in between in Bound kept me intrigued.

The only major issue I had with this novel was the discussion about “puck sluts”. I just find that term so cringe worthy, mainly because it has been used in connection to me several times. Basically, a “puck slut” is someone who wants to do it with a hockey player and often it is used pretty much to describe every single woman who enjoys hockey, whether they want to do it with a hockey player or not. As a woman who loves hockey, I cannot accept the use of a term like that. For so many times I've heard, from both men and women, that I watch hockey (both from TV and live) just because I like to look at the players. Seriously, would I really spend a lot of time and money just to see guys in all sorts of gear skate on ice if I did not actually enjoy the sport. No, I don't think so. Like books, hockey is a passion for me, something that I am immersed with. And yes, I do think that some of the players are attractive, but that's beyond the point and not a reason for me to love the sport. You don't call someone who watches TV and thinks the actors are handsome “tv sluts” or someone who goes to concerts a “music slut” (at least not regularly, I hope). So please don't call someone who loves a hockey a “puck slut” either. And really, if you are there just for the players and not for the game itself, who cares? Good for you – you really have a good taste!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Well... what can I say? I've just finished the four books in this series whilst on holiday. Needless to say, with all that spare reading time I gobbled them up like a packet of chocolate fingers.... you know you should eek them out but before you know it, you've just opened the second packet and put the kettle on for your third cup of tea. Or in my case downloaded the fourth book at 5.30am and finished it four hours later. Great writing which makes you care. Hot guys which make you melt. I can't get enough of Brenda Rothert's writing. You go girl!!! :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Geo, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A lovely romantic story were very interested in how grief effects people and how they come to terms with there loss and build a different life to enable them to move forward .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was so unexpected. It's not often unread a book that affects me as much as this one did. Perhaps it's because of the grief, perhaps it's because the characters are so well written that you feel drawn into a very real feeling world. I forget this was a tale I was reading, it was so easy to believe I was reading two peoples harrowing journey back to happiness..... I will read the rest as I so enjoyed this book that had me crying then smiling.

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyed!, 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book because it was about an ice hockey player as I love a sports romance. For some reason I didn't expect what I got. This was so much more .... You get to see inside both Ryke and Kate and how they're dealing with their grief. Both lovely characters, lovely storyline and very emotional in parts. Must dash have book 2 to read now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bound, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
After reading another series of books by Brenda, i thought i would try "Bound" i was not dissapointed. The story really draws you in from early on. Its a moving romance and you really feel for Kate and Ryker. I really like how the story develops in the next book, i will not spoil it, but it is definitely also worth reading

4.0 out of 5 stars An ok book, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The story line was different to any other book I have read so it took me a while to settle to read it some parts repeated itself quite a few times while any woman who has went through the lost of a child could relate to the emotional journey of coming to terms with their loss to them I sincerely sympathise

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written., 10 July 2014
This review is from: Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. You can really sympathise with the characters. It had a good storyline too, not too far fetched like some of the other free books you can get.

Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1)
Bound (Fire on Ice Book 1) by Brenda Rothert